Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any advice about investing in hotels? (specifically Bolton Hotel Wellington)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any advice about investing in hotels? (specifically Bolton Hotel Wellington)

Hi,

I'm new to the forum (and to property investing!). Apologies if this topic has been discussed already but I did a search and couldn't find an existing thread.

Some background info: I'm based overseas and am interested in investing in property in NZ. Through family I heard about an investment opportunity at the Bolton Hotel in Wellington. At first glance this seems (to my untrained eye) to be a pretty good investment which requires minimal hands on involvement (which is a big plus for me). I am curious what the risks and drawbacks are and would appreciate your advice.

The proposition is to buy a 1 bedroom room in the Bolton Hotel. The hotel will then lease it back at 7% and pay all costs. The contract lease terms run for another 10.5 years after which there is 2 X 10 year rights of renewal for the tenant (the hotel).

The main unknown (as I see it) is what the resale value will be.

I've copied the details from the real estate agent below:

The management company pays the Body Corporate fees, insurance, rates and maintenance.

Returns are NET. Fixed for the period of the lease. Paid monthly in arrears

Returns for one bedroom: 7% $18,200 net per annum + GST

Returns for studio: 7% $11,000 net per annum + GS
    Commercial lease terms
    Initial term 12 years, from 1 February 2013
    2 x right of renewal, 10 years each
    Rent 7% net return, all costs paid by tenant
    Rent CPI adjusted two yearly
    Market review on right of renewal (ratchet clause)
    Freehold Strata Title
    Proven tenant
    New building completed 2005
    Owners have special rates to stay.
    Wellington CBD location
    Earthquake rating 100%
    Owners need to be GST registered.

Thanks in advance....!

Hello, whilst on the surface these apartments can show a good return, they are harder to finance eg bigger deposits 50% (depending on the lender) and subsequently harder to sell. They are possibly ok if you are cashed up and not borrowing money and need a nice return on retirement assets. Need to check how long the rent is guaranteed for as well.
    Craig PopeCraig Pope Mortgages & Insurance
    www.craigpope.co.nz

Comment

What's the deal with major repairs and maintenance to the building? If it turned out to be leaky / needing earthquake strengthening or whatever crops up next.

Comment

There is a lot of these kind of investments that investors have gone into over the last 10 years. I'm sure there are lots that tick along just fine, but there are also a few where the hotel has gone bust or changed, and suddenly the investment isn't so good.

So I would be trying to find out how secure the tenant is.

Also if interest rates go up to over 7%, then you could be losing money (obviously depending on how much cash you put in)

Is there any potential for capital gain or loss? I don't know the hotel or area, but that is the risk. Most property investment works well because the investment goes up in value. I'm not sure what would happen to this value long term, which would put me of.

Plus when you sell, there is only a certain kind of investor who is interested in this. So that could reduce your sale value, or make it hard to sell.

Overall I like control and land. With your investment you have little control.

Lastly, with lots of these investments, investors lose out in management fees. So just make sure you do get the 7% and that there isn't a chance to be charged management fees out of this.

Ross
        Book a free chat here
        Ross Barnett - Property Accountant

Comment

The units in such schemes are hard to resell.
          Perhaps talk to your bank and see how keen they are to lend 80% on them with no other security.
          I suspect you will find the grey sharks rather wary.

For that sort of return you could look at share market unit trusts.
          Less hassle and easier to escape from.
          The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

Comment

Could you find out from the agent how many private owners there are. Then maybe track a couple down for a chat. Some ownership information can be obtained from the Wellington CC webmap or by visiting the council. Or the agent may be able to tee up a connection.

Personally I would be wary of an investment property I had basically no control over.

Comment

thanks for all the advice people! Very useful and appreciated!!

My parents are looking to buy a room and I was also interested. My parents are in their early 60's and don't need financing to buy. So for them it could be a good proposition. I would need to borrow about 60% of the value and it's possible I would need to sell in the next 5 years or so (e.g., if we move back to NZ).

Based on my research and on the advice you've given me I'm leaning towards not buying, and instead looking at a share market unit trust for the time being.

Thanks again...

Comment

They've been on the market for many years.
                That must tell you something about the asking price.

Comment

Heritage hotel and former Hyatt hotel in Auckland are good examples. Once all guarantees are off rents drop like a stone which means that capital value also drops.
                  What often happens is that your return is built into the purchase capital cost so you are paying for your own increased return by paying a higher purchase cost up front.
                  Doug

Comment

i seem to remember heritage didn't even honor their contracts...
                    have you defeated them?
                    your demons

Comment

Working...
                    X