Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you include water charges as part of your rent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pegasus View Post
    I include water as part of the rent for the simple reason that its easier than chasing tenants for water bills each month. Also some of our properties are 2 houses on one site using one water meter in which case we can not give them separate bills. I find it so much easier this way.

When advertising a rental, so that ours is not looking dearer than the others I put the rent without the water cost on the ad, then tell the tenants when they come to view that they have to pay for water but what we like to do is just add an approximate cost onto the weekly rent. I have never had any problem with that. For a couple I usually add $10/wk. Im not sure that they would abuse it - its not a massive cost and longer showers would mean higher power costs for them. We try to get our rents as high as we can so a little variation in the water bills doesnt worry me too much.
    Pegasus that is fine what you're doing but just be very careful not to state anywhere on the tenancy agreement the actual value of the water.Always state the rent & water value as inclusive of each other The tenancy tribunal people are quite hot on this.Where there is no metering a value cant be stated.

Safest way if asked by any authority ex WINZ , how much is the water or power; state it as zero.

Comment

On the North Shore (old NS Council areas) we need to buy council-issued rubbish bags from the supermarket.

The more rubbish bags you put out the more bags you must buy.

Quite a good system I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Pegasus View Post
        I include water as part of the rent for the simple reason that its easier than chasing tenants for water bills each month. Also some of our properties are 2 houses on one site using one water meter in which case we can not give them separate bills. I find it so much easier this way.

When advertising a rental, so that ours is not looking dearer than the others I put the rent without the water cost on the ad, then tell the tenants when they come to view that they have to pay for water but what we like to do is just add an approximate cost onto the weekly rent. I have never had any problem with that. For a couple I usually add $10/wk. Im not sure that they would abuse it - its not a massive cost and longer showers would mean higher power costs for them. We try to get our rents as high as we can so a little variation in the water bills doesnt worry me too much.
        You only add $10 per week to have water inclusive?

The bill that I receive for my 2 bedroom rental comes to over $50-$55 a week (this is metered water portion only). I wonder if the tenant is using the water excessively?
        www.PropertyMinder.co.nz
        # Property Management
        # Ad Hoc Tenancy Services / Rental Inspections / Terminations and Notices

Comment

that is a lot of water.
          I have a 3 bed at average $50/month

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne View Post
            that is a lot of water.
            I have a 3 bed at average $50/month
            I thought so too. We live in a 4 bedroom house with 3 adults and our water bill comes to similar sometimes even less. I wonder if having 3 young kids (I don't have any of my own) contributes to high water usage?
            www.PropertyMinder.co.nz
            # Property Management

Comment

Originally posted by BigDreamer View Post
              You only add $10 per week to have water inclusive?

The bill that I receive for my 2 bedroom rental comes to over $50-$55 a week (this is metered water portion only). I wonder if the tenant is using the water excessively?
              $50 - $55 a week in water usage is REALLY excessive.

As a comparison, I have a block of flats consisting of 1 x 1bedroom (single tenant) & 1 x 2bedroom (2 tenants) with a shared water meter. Combined they usage an average of 750L - 800L a day which calculates out at $90 a month.

Have you crawled under the house and checked for major leaks?

Shane

Comment

Barring any leaks it might also pay to check the shower flow rate. I've just discovered the showers in one of my rentals had a flow rate of just over 20L/min and the two tenants are having 10min showers each - that's 400L straight up without any other water use. Could explain why they're running out of hot water too.... (recently had the HWC replaced due to a leak). Have installed flow restrictors so it's now 12L/min and will see how it goes.

Comment

Thank yo, Shane and DIY Donz for the responses.

The unit did have water leak but it was fixed (at least I hope they fixed it correctly) 3 months ago. I will check the shower flow rate during next inspection.
                  www.PropertyMinder.co.nz
                  # Property Management

Comment

Originally posted by DIY Donz View Post
                    Barring any leaks it might also pay to check the shower flow rate. I've just discovered the showers in one of my rentals had a flow rate of just over 20L/min and the two tenants are having 10min showers each - that's 400L straight up without any other water use. Could explain why they're running out of hot water too.... (recently had the HWC replaced due to a leak). Have installed flow restrictors so it's now 12L/min and will see how it goes.
                    Mate, that is a great tip.

How do I measure the water flow in the shower? And how do you change the flow? Buy a new low flow shower head?

Comment

To measure the flow rate time how long it takes the shower to fill up a 10L bucket of water. Divide the 10L by the seconds and multiply by 60.

Example: it took 28 sec to fill the bucket at my rental

10L / 28 = 0.357 x 60 = 21.42L per minute

The flow restrictors can be purchased from most hardware or plumbing stores and are little plastic inserts that sit between the shower head and the hose. They come in a range of flow rates. I had my plumber deal with this one as the tenants were accusing me of not putting in a big enough HWC despite it being the same size as the one it replaced....!

Comment

Originally posted by DIY Donz View Post
                        To measure the flow rate time how long it takes the shower to fill up a 10L bucket of water. Divide the 10L by the seconds and multiply by 60.

Example: it took 28 sec to fill the bucket at my rental

10L / 28 = 0.357 x 60 = 21.42L per minute

The flow restrictors can be purchased from most hardware or plumbing stores and are little plastic inserts that sit between the shower head and the hose. They come in a range of flow rates. I had my plumber deal with this one as the tenants were accusing me of not putting in a big enough HWC despite it being the same size as the one it replaced....!
                        Mate... a gem of a tip and not expensive to fix. Thank you so much for that.

I have been scratching my head for ages as I have a tenancy (3 bedroom house) that is regularly using over $200 a month in water. I have crawled around under the house looking for leaks, changed leaky taps...but still it persists.

You may have just solved it for me

Thanks again.

Comment

Well it was a learning curve for me too - have to thank my plumber for that one! It was only the fact that the tenants complained about running out of hot water when it hadn't been a problem before. Happy to share. Hope yours is that simple.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane D View Post
                            I have been scratching my head for ages as I have a tenancy (3 bedroom house) that is regularly using over $200 a month in water. I have crawled around under the house looking for leaks, changed leaky taps...but still it persists.
                            looking for leaks - start by turning off all taps for an hour and see if the meter reads anything.
                            If there are odd leaks in the ground pipe then they will show.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne View Post
                              looking for leaks - start by turning off all taps for an hour and see if the meter reads anything.
                              If there are odd leaks in the ground pipe then they will show.
                              Wayne, another top tip. Thanks for that. I guess take a photo of the reading (so I don't forget it) and then come back an hour later.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane D View Post
                                Wayne, another top tip. Thanks for that. I guess take a photo of the reading (so I don't forget it) and then come back an hour later.
                                As long as you tell thetenants not to use the water during that time.

I recently had a watermain pipe spring a leak. Water was coming down the driveway. Had to dig up the drive around where the leak was & i found a broken connector that had been used to join 2 pipes together leaking. Replaced the connector & reconcreted ,but this time i left a paving section of concrete right above the connector so if it happens again i can recheck the connector without having to dig & cut out concrete.By the way Shane if you do have a leak you can apply for a rebate from Watercare .They let you do this once only every 2 years for each property .

Comment

Working...
                                X