Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Be careful when 'saving' money

Landlord sentenced over gas fire death

A landlord who illegally installed a gas cooker resulting in a fire that killed a 19-year-old woman has today been sentenced to six months home detention and ordered to pay reparations of $5000.

A landlord who illegally installed a gas cooker resulting in a fire that killed a 19-year-old woman has today been sentenced to six months home detention.
    DFTBA

What an absolute idiot. I'm actually quite cross that the sentence was so light. Without knowing the finer points of the trial, it should be classed as manslaughter and receive jail time. No excuse for that, and her death would have been horrific.

Comment

That is awful.

I often find it's like pulling teeth to get a CoC out of electricians at the end of a job.
      Bet gas fitters are even worse.
      The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

Comment

Originally posted by PC View Post
        I often find it's like pulling teeth to get a CoC out of electricians at the end of a job.
        Bet gas fitters are even worse.
        Never had a problem with them. Simply put. no documentation, no payment.

www.3888444.co.nz
        Facebook Page

Comment

I doubt that the CoC was the issue here (but I'm with Keys on this), it would have been the issue of paying anyone to do what they thought they could do themselves. Painting the ceiling is one thing; installing gas or electrical appliances is quite another !

Comment

I read that article and what an awful way to die! A wakeup call indeed.
            www.PropertyMinder.co.nz
            # Property Management
            # Ad Hoc Tenancy Services / Rental Inspections / Terminations and Notices

Comment

It's a separate fee for the CoC too - it should just be part of the quote and a given that it's provided.

I agree - madness that he was let off so lightly. I'm not a fan of home detention - it's not punishment lots of people love being at home and they can leave the home too - during the day to get stuff too.

cheers,

Donna
              Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

A terrible tragedy!

Highlights the importance of doing things right and hiring the right contractors.

Comment

6 months home detention for a young girls life - that is disgusting. Imagine how her family must feel

Comment

Compare to a person who deliberately kills someone, I think they get jail for a minimum of 10 years. But these would be a deliberate intention, where as the landlord had no intention.

Compare to a drunk driver who kills someone, what do they get? A quick google search showed someone getting 3 years, so really with parole might have only been 1-2 years jail time.

I personally think all our jail time and penalities are too low!

Ross
                    Book a free chat here
                    Ross Barnett - Property Accountant

Comment

Working...
                    X