Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lockwood Brown Wood - dark and dingy and dated - how do you fix ????????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lockwood Brown Wood - dark and dingy and dated - how do you fix ????????

How do you lighten this up.
    Its just too oppressive, and not many people like this look anymore.

Can you paint easily enough with some special kind of undercoast ?
    Last edited by Marc; 06-12-2017, 12:16 PM.

Looked at a lot of things, I had a go at stripping and white washing, a lot of homes in Scandinavia are done like that and they look great, the problem is it's just too hard to get enough of the varnish off and it ends up grey rather than white. Next option was just to paint, but the gaps become very obvious and it looks rough.

So, I jibbed over it.

Comment

Yes jib it....that's what I've seen on the reno programs. You'd leave the beams as they are but hide the rest.

cheers,

Donna
      Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

What's not to like about the sauna look? Take a look at www.twd.co.nz

Touchwood homes - virtually the same thing, but what a difference a whitewash colour makes to the overall look/feel.

Comment

We have done a couple of places like this - just painted it. Used bin sealer or similar appropriate primer undercoat that will go over varnish - paint shop will know. Then usual top coats. You do have to spend a bit of time no more gapping the gaps and filling any holes but comes up good, actually can look very smart. We had a really nasty place that surprised us with how good it came up

Comment

Also best not to sand the varnished wood, we had some bleed thru badly when did that and took a lot to cover it
            cheers
            Pegasus

Comment

Originally posted by Leftette View Post
              Touchwood homes - virtually the same thing, but what a difference a whitewash colour makes to the overall look/feel.
              Yeah, that's the kind of look I had a go at. I couldn't get it as crisp and white as that, just too much of a grey tinge to make it work.

Comment

Man, I really like this timber look! Seriously.

And the thought of it all getting painted over just makes me want to shout at people to stop it.

Not everything has to be white ffs.
                Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Don't think jibbing is a good idea.
                  2 options: Timbakote blonding http://www.timbakote.co.nz/Surface+A...ood+Blond.html

apparently with timbakote you can just do a light sand and paint over existing wall without stripping. has anyone tried doing this?
                  I imagine stripping the varnish would be pretty hard work.

or
                  Cape Cod white look: http://www.resene.co.nz/homeown/deco...ations/342.htm

Why would you fill the gaps? Looks more natural with the gaps.

Do you guys think there's a clash if you leave the ceiling as-is and just paint the walls?
                  Last edited by grip; 25-06-2014, 02:36 PM. Reason: adding info

Comment

Originally posted by grip View Post
                    Do you guys think there's a clash if you leave the ceiling as-is and just paint the walls?
                    Nope, as long as you get the colour match right. Lockwood have some good examples on there site, there are some nice options from there current range;

Comment

I looked at the pic and thought you would want to leave the roof as it was. Can't say I like the blonding look, looks like someone is halfway thru painting it.

Comment

You an also paint the wood.

Comes up really nice, with a cottage feel - if that is your thing.

Comment

No bids on this at all yesterday at Barfoots auctions.

Could be a good one for you Davo, no one else wants it

Those lockwoods certainly dont sell well, could be good opportunities out there for renovation guru's who can fix these up cheaply.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluekiwi View Post
                            No bids on this at all yesterday at Barfoots auctions.
                            Where is this? Comes down to location and other factors.
                            I may be biased, but i've found they go for a premium as buyers like the high standard of workmanship, solid materials, natural insulation etc.

The new Lockwood blonde look is nice, but I wonder if there are issues with painting

Comment

We recently ripped up carpet and vinyl in one place to discover beautiful old polished timber flooring. To think people wanted to cover that up at one stage! I wonder if these timber panels will be the same. I like the quality and durability of the timber. It's a bit of a retro look nowadays to be sure.
                              “Our favorite holding period is forever.”

Comment

Working...
                              X