Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moving Kitchen and adding bedroom - Consent needed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving Kitchen and adding bedroom - Consent needed?

Hi

In my lim it shows where the kitchen bench is located. If i make the kitchen into a bedroom and move the kitchen out into the lounge will i need to get council consent?

The kitchen will use the same plumbing but extended?

Thanks

i would say yes

Comment

Draw the plans, go to council at Graham Street, ask if exempt.

Comment

Originally posted by turneg01 View Post
        Hi

In my lim it shows where the kitchen bench is located. If i make the kitchen into a bedroom and move the kitchen out into the lounge will i need to get council consent?

The kitchen will use the same plumbing but extended?

Thanks
        Not if you are a deciple of Ron Hoy Fong.

In fact convert the garage into a couple of rooms, part of the lounge, the hallway, back porch, anything really.

And then rent it to desperate people and go and buy another one.

They're not quite this bad, but nearly.
        Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Sorry to disappoint you Dave, but we don't do South & West Auckland garage conversions.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Lin View Post
            Sorry to disappoint you Dave, but we don't do South & West Auckland garage conversions.
            You left off the 'yet' bit right?
            Squadly dinky do!

Comment

if you ask council they will likely say yes (but sometimes they surprise us?)
              but if it is under schedule 1 it is exempt work and doesn't need consent. (and the owner decides but sometimes has to defend his decision (so needs to be informed prior) It is not a change of use as within the same dwelling.

work still has to comply and plumbing done by registered plumber.

Comment

I've done it and they've said no. I brought in to scale plans with plumbing extension distances clearly marked, and I also asked the Department of Building and Housing for a second opinion - they also said no.

Comment

AMR
                  you mean they said you cant make a kitchen a bedroom? or you dont need consent?

because if former so they are wrong?
                  Last edited by John the builder; 02-05-2014, 11:01 AM. Reason: missing word

Comment

Originally posted by John the builder View Post
                    AMR
                    you mean they said you cant make a kitchen a bedroom? or you dont need consent?

because if former so they are wrong?
                    Ah, the double negatives

They said "No, you don't require a building consent because the works are considered exempt."

Comment

I have just completed this exact scenario without consent based on reading those act exemptions and speaking to a few builders.

Now it's for sale after completing the reno and the real estate agent keeps saying to me that buyers are looking to purchase a LIM which is slowing down the process and scaring them off...

The work was all completed by licensed tradesmen but there is a perception issue here with the buyers.

Comment

why dont you get a LIM and speed up the process If you didnt need consent it wont show anything untoward?

Comment

why dont you get a LIM and speed up the process If you didnt need consent it wont show anything untoward?
                          Sorry I am new to this but how would the LIM show me that a building consent was not required for the works? If it shows floor plan and position of kitchen then it won't match the new floor plan.

If a building consent was not required in the first place then there wouldn't be any amendment listed.

Sorry if I have misunderstood you.

James

Comment

typically a LIM doesnt show any floor plans but only council drians and the like including consent and what has been given a CCC etc

It usually requires a careful searach of the file to find plans that may or may not show changes

A LIM (land information Memorandum) will show if the council have issued any requisitions on the property it likely wont show anything they dont know about.

If you get a LIM then you will see what the purchaser will see and act accordingly. if you show them a LIM then they may be satisfied?

when you sell and sign the sale and purchase strike out the warranty clause not because you have done wrong but to avoid an argument. Purchasers have to be satisfied on their own inspection.

Comment

typically a LIM doesnt show any floor plans but only council drians and the like including consent and what has been given a CCC etc

It usually requires a careful searach of the file to find plans that may or may not show changes

A LIM (land information Memorandum) will show if the council have issued any requisitions on the property it likely wont show anything they dont know about.

If you get a LIM then you will see what the purchaser will see and act accordingly. if you show them a LIM then they may be satisfied?

when you sell and sign the sale and purchase strike out the warranty clause not because you have done wrong but to avoid an argument. Purchasers have to be satisfied on their own inspection.
                              Ok look that has got to be the biggest load of BS I have read in a while.

John, you completely ignored the comment above. And yes, plans are included in LIMs these days mate.

When you sell, just strike out the warranty clause - WHAT? Are you completely divorced of the real world? Don't you think the purchasers might wonder why you've done this? What about their solicitor, do you think he/she will just go "Oh don't worry about it, the council don't know, so she'll be right!"

Mate if you're going to give advice, back it up with something.
                              Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Working...
                              X