Can I evict for pets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Keys View Post
    Been there, done that. Do you want to leave your laptop at court as evidence? I left a CD.

However, the Adjudicator told me to refrain from doing that again.

Note to self. Ask next time I'm in court.
    Court had no problem accepting my cd with photos on it that we played back on their DVD player & TV ,this was Manukau.

Comment

Originally posted by mrsaneperson View Post
      Court had no problem accepting my cd with photos on it that we played back on their DVD player & TV ,this was Manukau.
      Goodness a court with a DVD player and TV. What country and what language do they speak there. Nothing like that in Nelson. However the court is very proud of their white board. You must be from a very advance privileged place. I have taken my lap top once to try and show some damaged paint and carpet that I could not get to show up on printed photos. I was permitted to show the pictures but was told to not do it again because it could not be placed on file as evidence. Maybe we only have old fashioned filing cabinets.
      Seriously though the hardest thing to prove is smell. Does anyone have any stories and tactics to tell about proving smell.

Comment

Heheh, it is about time the courts updated their audio visual equipment throughout NZ .Amazes me they havent kept up with the play but then again it does parallel nicely with their hugely inefficient costly bureaucracy.

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn View Post
          Seriously though the hardest thing to prove is smell. Does anyone have any stories and tactics to tell about proving smell.
          I had allowed a tenant a single cat. Place soon reeked of cats piss (way worse than dog). Rent was spasmodic, issued 14 day notice, got to TT while tenant was on holiday in Australia, achieved termination of a Fixed Term. Coinciding with this, the neighbours had complained to SPCA re the number of cats that were left to fend for themselves while tenant was away; SPCA went through the sheds and found evidence of 3 dead cats.

Nobody could get the smell out of the carpet (re the original quote), I took the SPCA report to TT and had no problem in getting all cleaning costs. Carpet was over 10 years old and they wouldn't give anything for it, but got the rest. Tenant never came back from Australia, so will be waiting a long time for the money though.

Comment

Maybe the tenant will be flush upon
            returning from the 'lucky country?'

Comment

Originally posted by td91 View Post
              her response "get f'd" I clean my house and pay my rent.
              Sounds like a straight up, no nonsense tenant.

Comment

if a LL says

"get'f'd with your pet request, read the lease + pay the rent"

would that be a straight up, no nonsense LL?
                have you defeated them?
                your demons

Comment

Originally posted by eri View Post
                  if a LL says

"get'f'd with your pet request, read the lease + pay the rent"

would that be a straight up, no nonsense LL?
                  That would be a S.O.A.B. landlord.

Comment

Oh dear, Eri, you must know by now
                    that it only works one way for some.

Comment

Originally posted by Perry View Post
                      Oh dear, Eri, you must know by now
                      that it only works one way for some.
                      You should learn what an unequal-power relationship is.

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelNZ View Post
                        You should learn what an unequal-power relationship is.
                        Yes. When one side can ignore the contract and bring in pets. When the TT won't help uphold the contract it is an unequal power relationship.

Comment

you should learn how important it is

to avoid getting into them
                          have you defeated them?
                          your demons

Comment

Thankfully trouble tenant and her mates are gone! Not long after posting this I instructed a property manager in to sort her out, pm who takes a hard nosed approach and trouble tenant did not get along, so the rent arrears started and in June we were luckily successful in a termination of the tenancy. House was a mess, have just completely renovated inside and out after the carpets being beyond cleaning, walls scratched and marked with plenty of holes, smashed windows, you get the picture!! Renovation was all finished up last week, agent has photographed and hopefully new tenants will start coming through next week!

Advice: Unless you have the time don't manage a rental yourself ever, no matter how lovely your new tenant seems on paper and in person some bad tenants just have a way with words! All my properties are with property managers now, and yeah I don't see $20-$30 of the rent every week but it's a lot easier than dealing with tenants yourself if things take a bad turn!

Comment

classic example of the damage pets can do

and how passing slow acting laws with weak penalties

won't stop fast acting ratbags who demand right and ignore responsibilities

HNZ obviously need greater powers to evict for pets

and the police to arrest for ownership of poorly secured dangerous breeds

these dogs are getting worse than guns

why are they allowed to wander around until they try to kill someone?

do we licence a gun owner after a mistaken target puts a bullet in his friend?

do we licence a car driver after their first car write-off?

why are the penalties so weak for letting these walking sharks roam the streets?
                              Last edited by eri; 04-08-2014, 09:39 AM.
                              have you defeated them?
                              your demons

Comment

Has anyone had experience with tenants with dogs in high class areas?

I have a new build large home in a great area that I am planning to rent out to potential tenants with a large dog. Any experiences?

Thanks
                                www.PropertyMinder.co.nz
                                # Property Management
                                # Ad Hoc Tenancy Services / Rental Inspections / Terminations and Notices

Comment

Working...
                                X