Tenant wants Pets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenant wants Pets

Hi our tenant want a cat and we are ok with this. We've never rented to pet owners before, can you provide advise on what we might encounter?

Is there a change to tenancy agreement for maintenance? eg. how many times the house need to flea bomb, how many pets? Carpet cleaning?

I'm assuming we do not need to receive additional bond?

Four weeks bond is the maximum you can legally ask, pets or no pets.
    You cannot legally insist on carpet cleaning, just 'reasonably clean'.

Cats can do quite expensive damage. I had one tenant with a cat, on departure all of the hallway wallpaper had to be removed and replaced as the animal had used the hall walls as its scratching post.

It does depend on the age/condition of the house, but most experienced Landlords will say 'No Pets'.
    There is a reason for this.

Comment

Originally posted by flyernzl View Post
      Cats can do quite expensive damage.
      Yeap. Most of the time they are OK, but if they pee on the carpet it's simply impossible to get the smell out, new carpet is require IME.

Handy hint, never check a tenant out when you have a heavy flu, a sense of smell is useful at that time!

Comment

I allow cats and there has been minor damage - some pulling of carpet - but haven't had an issue with any of the tenants yet.

Comment

Can the cat be included on the TA?
          .....................(only joking!)

Comment

Has been done:

"The Tenants may keep the grey cat Smokey Joe on the premises. No other pets are permitted."

Prevents the "Oh, our Landlord allows pets, so sure we can look after your pit bull for you while you are away overseas for a couple of years" syndrome.

Comment

one pet is one thing, but sometimes one becomes two becomes three!
              negotiate, and have clauses in the agreement, cats wee + underlay isnt going anywhere. (that being said, I have had a dog for the last 9 years, and am yet to see her do something wrong, to a landlords property (aside from the things i pick up after her)).
              Written by one of the team at http://www.chasepropertymanagement.co.nz/

Comment

That's very canny, flyer, however I wouldn't put it past crazy cat ladies to take on only grey cats and call them all Smokey Joe (the 1st, the 2nd, the 3rd etc).

Comment

If this is a “no dogs” tenancy then thatincludes visiting dogs. ABSOLUTELY NO DOGS ON THE PROPERTY

www.3888444.co.nz
                  Facebook Page

Comment

No, no - according to an ex-tenant of mine "No Dogs" means "No dogs only while the Landlord is actually visiting the property".

"If I'd known you were coming I'd have sent my puppy (aka great slavering toothy doberman) out for the day".

Originally posted by Leftette View Post
                    . .I wouldn't put it past crazy cat ladies to take on only grey cats and call them all Smokey Joe (the 1st, the 2nd, the 3rd etc).
                    Unfortunatly, and it's a secret so don't tell anybody, I'm actually a bit of a pushover for crazy cat ladies.
                    But then we all have our weaknesses.
                    Last edited by flyernzl; 07-04-2014, 07:33 PM.

Comment

I have had dogs at two of my rentals, and I increase the rent $10/wk/dog. I'd do the same with a cat; people can take it or leave it, but there's more wear and tear/risk, so it's justified. Personally I think I'd prefer dogs; they seem less prone to pi$$ing inside in my experience. So far I've had no issues. Touch wood.

Comment

This is a good option, and we recommend to tenants with pets, who have had trouble finding properties to be upfront and offer more money, so long as you are using a well defined tenancy agreement on top of this its a good approach, and as always, if your going to have pets, its worth meeting them first, and for those that have time, have a look at their current residence!
                        Written by one of the team at http://www.chasepropertymanagement.co.nz/

Comment

Working...
                        X