A question for old-time property managers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question for old-time property managers

So I was looking at the average rent data from the Department of Building and Housing, did up a quick graph. The years between 1996 and 2001 show five years of static / declining rents. Was anyone around at that time? What was happening in the industry?

That's the time I started in the game. The properties always got rented, just for the same as before. Advertised in the local paper rather than Trade Me.

My personal situation was such that I didn't pay particular attention to the scene, just more attention to my rentals. It was at least two, possibly three years of very tight budgeting for me.

www.3888444.co.nz
    Facebook Page

Comment

Rents, along with corporate and personal incomes, are generally linked to supply and demand .

Comment

Originally posted by Cassandra View Post
        Rents, along with corporate and personal incomes, are generally linked to supply and demand .
        Rents can and do decline.....not just in nominal values but in real dollars.

Going back even further than your data, I recall the very late eighties rents really declined.....by about 5 - 10 percent.... in my case the rent on a 3 bedroom house went from $220 to $205 pw....quite a drop

But then interest rates were also declining just as rapidly, so ended up not much worse off.............until of course there was increasingly large gaps between tenants

A lot of properties became hard to rent as tenants became very picky

All due to a weakly performing economy.....high unemployment etc driving rents down

You have to look at the reason for the change in supply and demand....not always due to migrants

I learnt very quickly to allow a lot of wiggle room......... don't ever again want to find myself in a very highly leveraged position in the midst of a severe recession

Comment

"The Asian Crisis" hit then.
          I know, as 1996 was the first house I bought and I made every mistake in the book, a cross between a sheep and a lemington, I was in well after even the taxi drivers had started talking about it.

Think negative immigraion, rising interest rates to 11.8%, think poor economic conditions and high unemployment, falling house prices.
          Exstreme difficulty finding tenants, I would say rents went down 10 to 15% from 1996 to 1998.

This was the background to my first dip into property, with a subdivide and build plan, to double my problems.
          Leverage in all fine and dandy in property when the market is going well.

By 2001 I had managed to convert 50k deposit into 50k negative equity.

The best learning experience I ever had though.
          Worth every penny of it.

Although I had recovered by 2003 to close to break even.

Comment

Working...
          X