Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint with spray gun or rollers?

Hi,

Asking around if any investors have used a spray gun instead of painting with rollers/brushes before. We are looking at painting the interior ourselves and have a very tight timeframe.

Is using a spray guy faster and easy to use? The property will be used as a rental.

Originally posted by Figure8 View Post
    Hi,

Is using a spray guy faster and easy to use? The property will be used as a rental.

Yes much faster and easier with a bit of practice. On a 100m2 house it usually takes a day to cover everything that you don't want paint on.
    Each coat of paint takes 2-3 hours for the wall, ceiling and wardrobes for the whole house. I use a light colour e.g. 1/4 tea for walls and ceilings so they can be done all together. The enamel on the window & door frames & doors can be done by hand which can take 2-3 days.
    www.focuspropertymanagement.co.nz
    Property Management Tauranga & Bay of Plenty

Comment

Hi,

Is using a spray guy faster and easy to use?
      Is it faster?... Yes, if you are an experienced spray painter.

Is it easy to use?... Not really. You will need plenty of time if you are considering this for the first time. There are a lot of variables and probably not a good idea if you are on a tight timeframe.

Comment

Hi,

Asking around if any investors have used a spray gun instead of painting with rollers/brushes before. We are looking at painting the interior ourselves and have a very tight timeframe.

Spray paint is a nightmare.
        You end up with overspray everywhere, and the masking is a whole new job (using up large amounts of tape and plastic).
        Any little gap left unsealed and you wind up with a mess.

No matter how easy they make it all look on the reno shows, painting with either a brush or a gun requires skill and patience, .

As a newbie I suggest you go for a small set of brushes (to do the corners, trims and places the roller wont fit), and also set of small, mid and wide rollers to do the large flat sections.
        Use shopping bags in the trays to speed up cleaning.
        Don't forget, the paint wont stick unless the surface is oil and grime free.
        Your local paint shop will give you great advice.
        Personally, I would rather pay a painter because the skill they bring saves a lot of wastage.
        Last edited by McDuck; 15-03-2014, 12:11 PM. Reason: clarity

Comment

He asked ''is using a spray guy faster and easier to use''

To do yourself would most likely be the disaster Mcduck alludes to--But if you can get a good spray painter and are happy with using the same color (walls -ceiling)--Yes -it would be faster,providing you have a good finish to spray onto.
          There certainly are times when protecting everything becomes more work than doing by brush and roller.
          In these cases I still would spray the cielings.
          You have to drop sheet anyway and stapling plastic over the windows is much quicker than masking and enough protection if its only ceilings--which still save lots of time.

Most of the time if it was an existing flat-I would use this method--cutting and rolling walls is not to bad in terms of time consumption.
          Its the windows-archatraves-doors (woodwork in general that eat time)

If your sprayer is experienced and your ceilings are existing (which probably means some fly specs) then a flat enamel in lounge and bdrms is good as it seals that type of oil based stuff.

Short answer -it depends on a number of things

Comment

Hi,

Asking around if any investors have used a spray gun instead....
            Here's a link to a new spray toy, I would have loved to play with this back in the day.
            There are lots of related vids also. Note the face mask. Remember these blokes are selling a product, so they are only showing you the good side.

Learn how to use a Graco® TrueCoat™ Paint Sprayer to get professional results when painting or staining interior projects. Includes information on setting up...

And this one V will give you an idea of the fiddling around to do with the mechanism.

Venmo @John-Burbidge-3 to buy me a beer for making these free videos. Thx! :) John Burbidge, author of the book "Watching Paint Dry," demonstrates how to use...
            Last edited by McDuck; 15-03-2014, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Hi,

I'm assuming this isn't a new house, so are you painting over wallpaper?

Spraying puts on a REALLY thick layer of paint.....enough to cause wallpaper to literally fall off the walls.

I remember spraying over wallpaper, which although it seemed to be well stuck, sagged dreadfully with the weight of the paint.

Fortunately, as the paint dried, the wallpaper reattached itself to the wall

Caused a few heart palpitations though.

Could have quite easily been a disaster

These days I prefer to stick to rollers

Comment

Originally posted by Ahar View Post
                I remember spraying over wallpaper, which although it seemed to be well stuck, sagged dreadfully with the weight of the paint.

Fortunately, as the paint dried, the wallpaper reattached itself to the wall
                Had the same thing happen with a roller.
                Last edited by Wayne; 17-03-2014, 01:18 PM. Reason: had not has

Comment

I'm reasonably proficient with a sprayer, but I'd go roller and brush every time. Masking is a pain, as has been said, and if you don't know what you're doing, paint runs will occur everywhere (easy to put on too much, or too little for that matter). Masking also doesn't always give the clean edge you think it might. Bleeding is a constant headache. Invest in good brushes. They make the job better and easier. Legend brushes from Resene are excellent. About $40-$60 per brush though.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne View Post
                    Has the same thing happen with a roller.
                    No I've never had wallpaper lift off when using a roller .....but I always check it's really firmly attached

A couple of times I've had to reattach lifting wallpaper ..... used wallpaper paste NOT glue.....wallpaper shrinks when dry and the paste stretches it back so that joints are matching....Also, if you decide to remove the paper at a later date, it's impossible if you've used glue.

You really need to check the paper really carefully before you start.

Another thing I've always done is to use a primer/sealer undercoat.....get it tinted to the colour you're using...saves on topcoat

This stops "bleeding" of colours and metallic flecks from showing through

And of course as it seals the wallpaper it provides a really good base for the paint to adhere to.

But of course there are some wallpapers that I believe really shouldn't be painted over......such as those with a glossy embossed finish

Doesn't matter how many times you paint it, the glossy bit shows through....just not a good look

Comment

How about a power roller? Meant to be twice as fast as a conventional roller but not quite as quick as spraying.

Comment

Masking a house is a pain in the you know what.

For the time you "may or may not" save spraying the risk is much higher - especially as a first timer. Brush and roller all the way.
                        ...there's no future in working

Comment

Buying a brush and roller is boring.
                          Buying a nice new shiny spray gun is much more fun.

Comment

The prep required for using a sprayer outweighs any benefits in my opinion. I prefer a roller.

However, I have only painted internally. I heard that outside painting might be easier with a sprayer.
                            www.PropertyMinder.co.nz
                            # Property Management
                            # Ad Hoc Tenancy Services / Rental Inspections / Terminations and Notices

Comment

Originally posted by BigDreamer View Post
                              I heard that outside painting might be easier with a sprayer.
                              It's great on a windy day - you get to paint EVERYTHING.

Comment

Working...
                              X