No announcement yet.

Politics, Media and Colin Craig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Children are cooped up inside (playstation, phones, computers) with lack of exposure to sunshine (Vit D) and no yards to play in its no wonder they are going hyperactive / obese.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wayne View Post
      You are correct - the law hasn't stopped the abuse and that is the silly thing about it!
      As for child abuse figures soaring - since when?
      I would have said that they continue to grow - certainly they haven't soared because of the law!
      The anti-smaking law hasn't worked (and I for one couldn't see how it would as I outlined earlier) but what ADHD and ADD have to do with it I don't know?

ADHD and ADD diagnosis are a whole new subject.
      The claims of child abuse (or anything else) rates soaring can be misleading because they don't show what actual child abuse rates are or how what constitutes "abuse" has changed. For example... rape cases have risen over time, largely because of improvements to publicity and support, so more are being reported. I suspect it's the same with child abuse. It's always been there, it just wasn't reported. Perhaps that is something the anti-smacking law was good for... it brought about more reporting (even if some is misguided). 30+ years ago, few would have reported a pretty serious thrashing given to a kid that left marks. I'd consider this progress. I don't think it was ever thought that it would stop abuse but it is another tool.
      You can find me at: Energise Web Design

Comment

• Originally posted by mrsaneperson View Post
        ADHD & ADD. Are some cases of children diagnosed with these conditions simply a case of bad parenting ? If not why were such terms unknown in the pre90s ?

We make up labels for everything these days.In the process of diagnosis for ADHD , drugs like Ritalin are prescribed bringing in unwanted & often worse side-effects than the original condition diagnosed.
        You answered your own question.
        There is more ADHD and ADD because people like to name these things whereas they didn't before.
        I agree there are too many on prescription drungs - not just Ritalin.
        It isn't caused by child abuse I believe.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maccachic View Post
          and no yards to play in its no wonder they are going hyperactive / obese.
          Most kids in NZ have a yard to play in - may be smaller in parts of Auckland but they still have access to a safe outdoors.

Comment

• Originally posted by drelly View Post
            Perhaps that is something the anti-smacking law was good for... it brought about more reporting (even if some is misguided). 30+ years ago, few would have reported a pretty serious thrashing given to a kid that left marks. I'd consider this progress. I don't think it was ever thought that it would stop abuse but it is another tool.
            Perhaps.
            Pity they did a bit of false advertising and linked it with the excessive child abuse cases.

Comment

Most kids in NZ have a yard to play in - may be smaller in parts of Auckland but they still have access to a safe outdoors.
              Really with the move towards 300m2 sections with 200m2 house how can they play / exercise on a mowing strip?

Comment

• Maybe some of the people so uptight & against any kind of physical discipline of any child are caught up in their own personal issues regarding it?
                Drelly were you smacked as a child? If so, how & in what way has this affected you?
                If not what other avenues of discipline were used ?
                You are against any kind of physical pain being inflicted as a method of discipline - why support other forms of discipline measures which also carry a different type of pain inflicted - just not physical ?
                What kind of discipline measures do you support?

No one i know that was smacked as a child has turned into some kind of monster because of being smacked ; the vast majority see it as beneficial & feel it helped them in their lives.
                Last edited by mrsaneperson; 15-10-2014, 02:19 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maccachic View Post
                  Really with the move towards 300m2 sections with 200m2 house how can they play / exercise on a mowing strip?
                  I agree - but that is mostly in the future.
                  I was talking about now and the recent history.

And kids will have to play in the drive!

Comment

Perhaps.
                    Pity they did a bit of false advertising and linked it with the excessive child abuse cases.
                    Yeah I think there's inevitably going to be some lobbying groups who will do anything to win. The same happened with the superannuation referendum... lots of blatant lies.
                    You can find me at: Energise Web Design

Comment

• Originally posted by drelly View Post
                      Yeah I think there's inevitably going to be some lobbying groups who will do anything to win. The same happened with the superannuation referendum... lots of blatant lies.
                      Afraid to answer my post412? Or perhaps now conveniently switch on the invisible ignore button when it suits..lol!

Comment

• Please stay Colin.
                        We've missed you.

Craig could face chop after TV antics
                        Colin Craig's days as Conservative Party leader may be under threat with the party board meeting in Auckland tomorrow expecting to discuss it after a recent television appearance by him in a sauna.

But Mr Craig said tonight none of the board members had expressed any unhappiness to him and he would expect some notice about a leadership vote.

"I don't have any knowledge either of a motion or of the numbers," he said.
                        "If there is an agenda to replace me as leader, I have no idea who would replace me as leader."

Comment

• Originally posted by speights boy View Post
                          Please stay Colin.
                          We've missed you.

Craig could face chop after TV antics
                          Why the hell is Colin wearing shirt and pants in a sauna....

I have 0 confidence in his ability to perform in parliament if he can't even get the most simple basic things in life right...*giggles*

Comment

• Farrier is a poster boy for Auckland gay culture. The sauna interviews are stupid. Colin Craig was a good sport through out and it probably helped him politically.

Comment

• Originally posted by mrsaneperson View Post
                              Colin Craig was a good sport through out and it probably helped him politically.
                              Sauna-gate: Craig steps down

Comment

• Interesting.
                                If JK had done that interview people would have thought it blokey and funny I suspect.

Comment

Working...
                                X