Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kicking tenants out

Hi guys.

I currently have tenants in my rental property who are now 6 weeks behind in rent.

I have given them the standard 2 weeks to arrange payment notice or have the tenancy terminated. It is now approaching the 2 week mark.

What are my next steps?

I guess I can get 3 weeks of rent back from the bond, how do i go about getting the rest? Is there someone I can hire to sort this mess out, a property manager?

Any ideas?

"Is there someone I can hire to sort this mess out, a property manager?"

where?
    have you defeated them?
    your demons

Comment

They are now six weeks behind and the two weeks notice is nearly up. Therefore, you gave them notice at four weeks. Three weeks is almost guaranteed termination at court. Go to www.ipma.org.nz and see if there is a property manager in your area who is prepared to assist.

Six weeks lost rent plus time to get them out, let's say ten weeks in total, equals nearly two years of payment to a property manager. Have a think about that.

Edited to add. It's Christmas, it may take longer to get them out.

www.3888444.co.nz
      Facebook Page

Comment

The house is in lower hutt and I live in palmerston north. I cannot get time off work to go down to the house myself. Do I just call the tenants and tell them they are out? what if they don't leave and stay, what can I do?

Comment

Unfortunately there is no such thing as 'kicking the tenants out'. They are very savvy knowing their rights and you are the rich landlord, they are the poor tenant. This is despite their TV and car being bigger than yours.
          Call the tenancy tribunal for advice 0800 TENANCY (0800 83 62 62).

Comment

Originally posted by jkmjoe View Post
            The house is in lower hutt and I live in palmerston north.
            According to Wises, around 140km away. Your questions suggest that you would be better to hire a PM.

You ask what can you do. I say, hire a PM.

www.3888444.co.nz
            Facebook Page

Comment

Oh come on guys.
              Cut to the chase.
              The existing manager (the owner) is not performing.
              Why on earth would someone willingly set themselves up like this.
              This owner is dangerous. Tenants love landlords like this.
              They tell their mates you can get away with it.
              The best advise is not to "hire someone to sort the mess out" it is to fire the existing landlord.
              I have recently been doing a little bit of cold call marketing sending out marketing information to people who have been through the tenancy tribunal.
              I am yet to get any work out of this.
              Some of the victims are saying they are going to sell their rentals because of the bad tenants.
              None of them seem to think they have done anything wrong.
              Last edited by Glenn; 22-12-2013, 06:28 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by jkmjoe View Post
                Is there someone I can hire to sort this mess out, a property manager?
                You hire a property manager so you don't get into this mess in the first place....

Comment

Make an application to the tenancy tribunal asap before it gets worse.

If you apply now a hearing if mediation doesn't work will still be at least a week or two away from that date.

Result will be order of termination, because the rent is at least 21 days in arrears, the bond will be given to you to cover some of the arrears and the rest you will have to work out with the tenant.

Comment

Working...
                  X