Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you buy if there is a stream cross the property?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you buy if there is a stream cross the property?

Hi all,I am interested in a property by a river,which just next to a park walkway with rive,only thing worries me is there is a stream cross a corner of front yard,is that any risk and devalue for the property, would you ever consider this kind of property?thanks

You will need to speak to the Council and see what the likelihood of the stream flooding is, and also judge it's curve and where it would go in that situation. I would love a stream, but a safe one!
    Going onto the Council website will often show maps of flood risk, and your insurance will be higher/non existent if there is a risk.

Comment

Look at the damage created by the Christchurch earthquake.

Several years ago, I would have said yes. Now? Never.

www.3888444.co.nz
      Facebook Page

Comment

We had the same problem with this property:

Find your dream home in New Zealand with Trade Me. Browse our full range of NZ real estate listings to discover the perfect property for families, couples and s...

Bought at discount due to a stream crossing the back boundary by a few meters.

So we decked over it, just had to leave an access hole.....

Comment

The council will have flood zone maps. Might affect how you can add on to the property etc.

You'd need to check that out very carefully.

Years ago, me and my wife nearly bought a house in a flood zone, until we saw the LIM that is. The agent reckoned the vendor would warrant that it's never flooded in the 15 years he's lived there etc.

Well we were driving around this area a couple of weeks later on a Saturday, going to other open homes and it was raining. We went down this road and the water was pouring through this section and over the road. Massive river, like 2 feet deep and 20m wide!
          Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Should be flood free for the next 15 years then!

www.3888444.co.nz
            Facebook Page

Comment

My yes or no decision would depend on one factor: The vertical distance between river and house (or perhaps to the bottom of usable section if I was being ultra cautious).

Comment

Another factor to consider with streams is the banks....you are responsible for keeping them clear and the stream unblocked.....and are still most likely liable to keep the vegetation on the banks under control even if the stream just borders your property rather than being on it.

Comment

You need to think of the downstream affects, if you are going to sell then your pool of potential buyers may be less.

Comment

What a shallow comment. Out of your depth, bluekiwi.

Comment

^^For sure -if you are questioning it now you can be sure others will in the future.

Comment

Eel be thinking it's a poor decision, Wayne.

Comment

His post was just stream of consciousness, to be fair. There won't always be a confluence of opinon

Comment

Hmm. Should that be attributaried to someone else? If not, you're Amazon, Ivan.

Comment

Working...
                            X