Greenpeace crew in 'shock' in Russian jail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greenpeace crew in 'shock' in Russian jail

GREENPEACE crew members detained in Russian jails for two months over their protest against Arctic oil drilling are "close to shock" over their conditions, a rights activist says.
    The activists have complained of cold cells and a lack of suitable clothing and food, said Irina Paikacheva, the head of a state-connected regional prisoners' rights watchdog.
    "Many of them are in a state close to shock," she told AFP on Tuesday after visiting the prisoners.
    Several of the foreign nationals have been placed in cells with Russians even though this breaches Russian law, Paikacheva added.
    Several non-smoking activists also complain of being placed in cells with chain-smokers.
    A young Finnish female activist is a vegan and unable to eat prison food, Paikacheva said, adding that prison officials had denied her request for vitamins to be delivered to her.

Cold cells and unsuitable food?
    In a Russian jail?
    Who would have thought that would happen?

Meanwhile
    http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/gree...y-depp-5599774

"These are not crazy nut bars. They're normal, peaceful people like you guys out there, and they believe in the right to peaceful protest and the right of free speech," she said of the detained activists.

I stopped donating to Greenpeace a few decades ago. I believe their organisation has been hijacked by loony fringe radicals.It is no longer the good organisation it represented back in the 80's.

Comment

they wanted to be martyrs for the cause

this is what that costs

at least nowadays martyrs shouldn't have to pay with their lives

just a few years of their liberty

did they not get the memo

that putin didn't find pussy a riot?

She went on to describe working 17-hour days to meet impossible production quotas in the uniform-sewing workshops on pain of humiliating collective punishments, filthy sanitary conditions, and an unofficial system of bullying used by the prison administration to keep prisoners in line.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...-scrutiny.html

or that peter buffoon

regrets the eco-terrorism of scuttling his plastic boat in the wilderness he had sworn to protect

and the the pointlessness doing time in, relatively comfortable, japanese detention
      Last edited by eri; 06-10-2013, 12:48 AM.
      have you defeated them?
      your demons

Comment

I like how Putin has made homosexual propaganda to minors illegal, I think we should do the same here in NZ.

Comment

Originally posted by mrsaneperson View Post
          I like how Putin has made homosexual propaganda to minors illegal, I think we should do the same here in NZ.
          Oh man... here we go again... what homosexual propoganda are you referring to? Damn that freedom of speech thing... bring on the Gulags! Awesome to hear you're against loony fringe stuff but you seem unaware that you're just on a different fringe!
          Last edited by drelly; 06-10-2013, 08:36 AM.
          You can find me at: Energise Web Design

Comment

I recently read a biography on Putin - and if the book is true - he's a master criminal who should be behind bars himself!

cheers,

Donna

.......while we may not like everything GreenPeace does - they are a standout organisation in my humble opinion. They do a huge amount of good protecting the environment from the greedy corps.
            Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

they poked a stick at a bear now they are complaining it took their hand off

Comment

Well when the bear is a corrupt guy stuffing the environnment for his own personal gain, someone needs to start poking pretty hard.

Takes a lot of balls to do that.
                Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Originally posted by Davo36 View Post
                  Well when the bear is a corrupt guy stuffing the environnment for his own personal gain, someone needs to start poking pretty hard.

Takes a lot of balls to do that.
                  they can use their lots of balls in a russian can then, hopefully for many years to come, the russians should have shot them as far as im concerned

Comment

Originally posted by drelly View Post
                    Oh man... here we go again... what homosexual propoganda are you referring to? Damn that freedom of speech thing... bring on the Gulags! Awesome to hear you're against loony fringe stuff but you seem unaware that you're just on a different fringe!

At last one country has seen some common sense .The new law has the democratic support of the Russian people ; not that democracy is important for minor radicals, especially when its against their own opinion.That self serving selfishness is wreaking havoc on the world.The new law against homosexual propaganda was renamed "propaganda of nontraditional sexual relations to minors".It is also too a degree a law against non procreational sexual relations. Russia have also banned gay adoptions.Good.
                    This law would also ban books that young children are exposed to exposing homosexual relations as normal everyday situations. Normalcy is a key operative word that propaganda relys on to promote something. If it was normal then everyone would be doing it.
                    I suggest you enlighten yourself & realise how the propaganda has been achieved with a hostility of violence & denigration perpetrated against anyone not accepting homosexuality as normalcy.A far cry from the 70's where it was once regarded as a mental illness.There are 3 time capsule steps to the regard for homosexuality.First step is acceptance ,which the majority of people support, step 2 endorsement or approval leading finally to step3 promotion.Most accept step 1 but steps 2 & 3 represent an erosion of deep seated moral beliefs,not so much religious ones.The propaganda through the convoluted media lens have achieved here what Putin wants to prevent happening in Russia. Good on Russia for standing up.
                    Google .
                    Last edited by mrsaneperson; 06-10-2013, 11:10 PM.

Comment

At last one country has seen some common sense .The new law has the democratic support of the Russian people ; not that democracy is important for minor radicals, especially when its against their own opinion.That self serving selfishness is wreaking havoc on the world.The new law against homosexual propaganda was renamed "propaganda of nontraditional sexual relations to minors".It is also too a degree a law against non procreational sexual relations. Russia have also banned gay adoptions.Good.
                      This law would also ban books that young children are exposed to exposing homosexual relations as normal everyday situations. Normalcy is a key operative word that propaganda relys on to promote something. If it was normal then everyone would be doing it.
                      I suggest you enlighten yourself & realise how the propaganda has been achieved with a hostility of violence & denigration perpetrated against anyone not accepting homosexuality as normalcy.A far cry from the 70's where it was once regarded as a mental illness.There are 3 time capsule steps to the regard for homosexuality.First step is acceptance ,which the majority of people support, step 2 endorsement or approval leading finally to step3 promotion.Most accept step 1 but steps 2 & 3 represent an erosion of deep seated moral beliefs,not so much religious ones.The propaganda through the convoluted media lens have achieved here what Putin wants to prevent happening in Russia. Good on Russia for standing up.
                      Google .
                      If I didn't think you were serious, you'd be funny. Or at least mildly amusing. I seem to remember you saying you weren't religious? If you're anti-gay, what is the basis for your perspective? Your own morality? Morality (like normality) is something that is chosen, it's not a physical law. Like the other tricky questions I've posed you before, you evaded anything specific in favour of a rant. I've got young kids and am yet to see any gay "propaganda". However, whether you like it or not, being gay is considered normal by many people. Homosexuality is also observed in many animal species. So, unless you're going to credit animals with morality and immorality, I don't see how you can call it abnormal? I'll give examples if you can't find them yourself. Perhaps you're confusing "normal" with "majority"? The majority of people don't have to do something for it to be normal. For instance, some people like fishing, but just because "everyone isn't doing it", that doesn't mean it's "not normal". Doesn't it suck when facts get in the way of a good rant!? If you're concerned about the lack of pro-creation, we could always revert to the days of banning oral sex and masturbation... that wasn't considered "normal" either!

Comment

Well you know its a big fat lie that you and many others have swallowed over the decades since its perpetration.Repeat a lie over & over again and some will believe its the truth thats how propaganda works.There is no scientific evidence that you are born gay. There is no gay gene.Studies on identical twins have proved this. So dont generalise into saying gay people dont have choices. This is the myth that is being carried around.Exclusive homosexuality in animals is extremely rare. Not one shoe size fits all gay people,there is a huge variety of things that may decide a persons sexual orientation.Many bisexual people became gay because they suffered at the hands of an abusive heterosexual relationship.. You should try and google more instead of just buying into myths. So where were you back in the 80's ? Perpetrating and shouting from street corners what you say you believe right now? I dont think so, like many others you now rally around shouting down anyone who doesn't buy into a new trend.Talk about dogmatic.
                        Back in the 80's smoking was in ,buggery was out ,now its become the other way round.
                        Putin is not anti gay & neither am i; he has got it right in Russia by introducing the new law, Western nations are mired in a trend geared toward an "anything goes" society.
                        Last edited by mrsaneperson; 08-10-2013, 02:52 AM.

Comment

There is no scientific evidence that you are born gay. There is no gay gene.
                          Is there any proof there is no genetic reason?

So dont generalise into saying gay people dont have choices. This is the myth that is being carried around.
                          I'm not generalising. I've spoken with real, live gay people in small sample studies over a beer. Have you?

Exclusive homosexuality in animals is extremely rare.
                          Exclusive homosexuality in humans is extremely rare too. Most gay people seem to start off assuming they are straight.

So where were you back in the 80's? Perpetrating and shouting from street corners what you say you believe right now? I dont think so, like many others you now rally around shouting down anyone who doesn't buy into a new trend.Talk about dogmatic.
                          Actually I was at Uni in the UK. Knew a few gay people and inadvertantly signed up to the Gay and Lesbian society as a straight supporter. Admittedly, I was drunk and didn't realise the guy on the stall who I knew from my course was gay. I'm still not sure why it was necessary to be shouting on street corners though?

Homosexuality in animals: http://www.news-medical.net/news/2006/10/23/20718.aspx

What EXACTLY is the reason for your stand on this? Answers like "It's not normal" are a bit flaccid and not nearly as good as "the Bible says it's not normal". You just seem to be saying that you want to return to a previously held moral standard that you consider to be superior without giving any reasons.

Comment

I really don't see the problem so long as people are happy and contributing to society who cares what they do or who they do it with?

Comment

Originally posted by Maccachic View Post
                              I really don't see the problem so long as people are happy and contributing to society who cares what they do or who they do it with?
                              ^ What he said!

Comment

Working...
                              X