Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to put the rent up?

A dilema . . .

I have tenants in a house. Two sisters plus kids. They have been there just under a year.
    I am planning to increase their rent as from late January next year.
    Early this week thay rang me. One of the husbands has recently arrived from the islands, and through some machinations within the immigration Department they need to also have his name on the Tenancy agreement.

In accordance with good Landlording practice, this means I have to terminate the existing two-name TA and (after a property inspection) create a new TA with the three names as joint tenants.

Problem - if I do this, I cannot increase the rent as planned as I then need to let 180 days pass before that can be done.
    For various reasons I do not wish to increase the rent right now, as I would be entitled to do on the new TA.

I am not sure about the legitimacy of writing the higher rent in the new TA and then allowing them a discount until the end of Jan.

So - any suggestions?

Since you are starting a new tenancy, with a new TA right?

So why can't you agree to a new and higher rent right from the start?

Or give them an increased rent notice under the existing TA before you all sign the new TA under the new rent?

Besides, they want to have the husband's name on the TA, that's their main driver, is to satisfy the Immigration, so as long as the rent increase is reasonable, they should agree to that.

Comment

Simple.

The previous agreement states one rent amount, the new agreement will state the new rent amount. As long as it's not a huge increase the tenants should be able to manage it, but if they do disagree to it, then it's just a matter of re-renting which is something you would of had to do come January had they not agreed to the rent increase at that point.

Comment

Just add him to the TA. What is the big deal with writing a new one?

Comment

So I add the husbands name to the existing TA.
          He is then (of course) jointly and severally liable.
          At some time later, unknown to me, the sisters depart for places unknown leaving him in the house paying the rent.
          Eventually he decides to terminate the tenancy.
          When I do the final property inspection and find damage, he can say 'Oh that's nothing to do with me. It was like that when I came here'.
          No thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X