Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making improvements around existing tenants

Hi There
    I am wanting to undertake some improvements in a rental property that is currently tenanted.
    At this stage I am wanting to repaint lounge and replace curtains, repaint walls in kitchen and replace lino in kitchen and bathroom.
    This work is well overdue and I need to ask if anyone has had success in carry out this type of work around tenants. I imagine that for the painting move couches onto the deck and the rest of the furniture be moved to the centre of the room and covered to allow painters access... any advice please

Discuss with the tenants and offer a discount on the rent during the period of the work.

Comment

Why not wait until you're vacant? That will have the twin advantages
      of a more efficient job and an easy upwards reset of future rents.

Comment

New curtains fine, but I would also strongly recommend waiting till vacant for other work unless you can fit in while they are on holiday. First, very disruptive to tenants. Second, things always take longer than expected. (Kitchen Studio turned a 2 day install into a 3 month job, for example. Never again) Third, cost increases if tradies have to pack in and out every day, including moving furniture each end of the day.

Comment

In many (but not necessarily all) cases working around tenants is at least twice as difficult as doing the work when the property is vacant.

Worst case I ever had was a tenant who demanded that the tradies did not start before 9am and had to be out of the place by 3.30pm.

So what can a tradesman do between start time and 9am?
          Probably the Herald crossword - and you pay for that downtime.
          Similarly for the time wasted at the end of the day.

The reality is that while an owner-occupier wants the job done and is prepared to put up with the disruption during that process, a tenant does not care if the place falls down the day after they move out. So they have usually little real interest in co-operating with any renovation work.

Comment

Even with helpful tenants, and just routine maintenance, there can be a lot of palavering and bowing and scraping.

Comment

the problem with waiting until after the tenants vacate is that it could be a number of years. In the meantime the property gets grotty to the point that the tenants leave because they can find better elsewhere.

I did have a place fully painted with tenants in place and, as far as I know, it went well. The tenants were helpful though - on a benefit so home all day but helped move stuff around.
              I also replace the kitchen while same tenant was there - 2 days and they had takeaways the 1st night - no issues. They were keen to see the work done and I didn't raise the rent straight away (rent was never mentioned).

I have a place now with tenants who I think will be there a long time but the carpet needs replacing. Not sure how I am going to get that done as moving stuff around for carpet is a right pain.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne View Post
                I have a place now with tenants who I think will be there a long time but the carpet needs replacing. Not sure how I am going to get that done as moving stuff around for carpet is a right pain.
                We will be doing that this Summer with a two bedroom flat. Going to hire the local sports team to move everything out, sit on their bums while the carpet is laid and move everything back in. Will be an interesting exercise.

www.3888444.co.nz
                Facebook Page

Comment

not a bad idea - how much $ do you think?

Comment

Many Thanks for all your replies - Wayne this is exactly the situation I am in - this tenant was existing when we purchased 4 1/2 years ago - I have been reluctant to increase rent as the place needs freshening up. I would like to keep her as very reliable with rent payments etc. I think I will put it in her hands explaining that work needs to be done and with that rent will be increasing - she will either choose to work with me or leave.
                    Thanks again

Comment

Great idea!

Comment

I have had exterior painting done with tenants in-situ, but never anything interior. Have they asked for it to be done? If not, then I would leave it.
                        If you still want to go ahead, will the tenants be home for the duration? If not, who is responsible for securing tenants possessions etc?
                        Premium Villa Holidays in Turkey

Comment

Working...
                        X