Neighbour VS Tenant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neighbour VS Tenant

Situation goes I have tenants in my rental property they pay their rent on time and have passed their recent inspection with flying colours. They are younger tenants (18-22 age bracket and 3 of them) they have been there for coming up 3 months.

Only issue now is the elderly couple next door have found out my contact details and are hounding me to move my tenants out of the property. In their words my tenants are constantly "Drugged up and boozing" and "playing music at all hours" I have investigated this with my tenants and I'm still confused at what to do.

Early in May police were called by my tenants as the elderly man next door was threatening my tenants with putting them in hospital and accusing them of saying and doing all sorts of crazy things. From then on apparently it has been a case of the elderly neighbours and their neighbour spying on my tenants. Basically it's a series of the elderly neighbours accusing my tenants of things and my tenants accusing them of things.

I've asked other neighbours in surrounding houses who have said they keep the noise down most nights and if it is up loud it is only on weekends and not during ridiculous times. The elderly neighbours dispute this saying it's on all day even at 3-4am in the morning. The facts are my tenants haven't done anything wrong in my eyes and aren't bothering other neighbours so what am I to do?
    I feel if I don't do something I am going to keep getting phone calls from the elderly couple next door.

If you are sure there is no issue with your tenants, then ignore the elderly couple........once they realise they are no longer going to get a response from you, they will stop

Comment

Tell them if they've got a problem to contact noise control. Noise control will determine if there is an issue or not. See if you can get the neighbor's number blocked, sounds like you've done your bit. Not all neighbors are equal.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLibrary View Post
        If you are sure there is no issue with your tenants, then ignore the elderly couple........once they realise they are no longer going to get a response from you, they will stop
        They are disturbing my tenants also, so really not too sure on what to do.

Comment

Originally posted by td91 View Post
          They are disturbing my tenants also, so really not too sure on what to do.
          Does your tenancy agreement say that you will sort out their disputes with the neighbours for them? Sometimes you can't please everyone. They are paying their rent and keeping the place well. One neighbour says they cause trouble and the other neighbours disagree. Nothing need or should do.

Comment

Nope.

I think I'll tell the elderly couple next door if they have problems with noise or threats to call noise control or the police. I didn't think I was obligated to sort the dispute/s

Comment

Originally posted by DazRaz View Post
              Snip ...
              One neighbour says they cause trouble and the other neighbours disagree. Nothing need or should do.
              Incorrect!
              You are suggesting that because the other neighbours (call them #2) have not reported issue to td91 in same identical manner (parrot fashion) as immediate neighbour (call them #1) therefore #2 is in disagreement and effectively nullifying #1's account ... wrong!

the reality is that #2 has effectively supported and indirectly confirmed #1's account and cause of concern ... people are different and have different ways of expressing issues

quoting td91
              I've asked other neighbours in surrounding houses who have said they keep the noise down most nights and if it is up loud it is only on weekends and not during ridiculous times.

"noise down most nights" confirms there IS noise on "some nights" ... unacceptable

that it may be only during weekends on regular basis (due to ongoing persistence) ... equaly unacceptable

with #1 being the immediate neighbour, #1 is in direct line of fire and is most impacted!

it stands to reason forensically, that being further away, #2 is impacted to lesser degree than #1, hence difference in accounts ... but the fact remains that #2 has NOT said "NO, there is no noise from your tenants" ... see where i am coming from?

based on above, you must give #1 the credibility they deserve
              what do you expect from 18-22?
              truthfull error free angels?
              just because they pay on time ... for now?

check out thread about nightmare teenage tenants td91 read and posted in
              Derived from "Turbid" ..... akin to toxic Carbide(s) .... by adding "e" to "Turbid", we then have,
              Turbide(s) = new alternative word for Scumbag(s) .. Thankfully, humanity's minority -
              May 2012

Comment

Your tenants have as much right to live there as the elderly neighbours.
                People live their lives in different ways, as long as they aren't breaking any laws there is nothing to be done. Tell the neighbours to call noise control themselves.
                If they pay the rent on time and pass all inspections, back your tenants.
                Premium Villa Holidays in Turkey

Comment

@ props4u, I tried to read your post but it was like trying to decipher the pattern on the Technicolour Dreamcoat!
                  Premium Villa Holidays in Turkey

Comment

More news to brighten the story up again

Apparently today my tenants had to call the police (second time round) as their neighbours daughter and her husband got into a big argument with my tenants over playing music during the day which was fast turning into something of the violent with my tenants having their neighbours daughter and husband on their property asking for a fight.

Had another call from the neighbours who have said if I don't move my tenants out they will going to the local newspaper to report my tenants until I move them out. Again trying to reinforce that in my eyes my tenants haven't done anything wrong and other neighbours also agree with this. Neighbours... who'd have em'

Comment

Have the oldies just suddenly lit up with these particular tenants,
                      or have they been at loggerheads before?
                      Sounds to me like your tenants may have been a bit inconsiderate,
                      and it has escalated. The effects of noise can vary a lot on different
                      people, and older people, particularly in their own homes, can be
                      badly affected.
                      It's a bit late now perhaps for everyone to take a step back, but I
                      can sympathize with both parties and hope the young people have
                      the character to waive their rights a bit and make a bit of a sacrifice.
                      The oldies will be jangling wrecks, no doubt, & unlikely to be rational
                      until they've come down off the ceiling with a bit of quiet.

Comment

If noise can be heard by the neighbours, it breaches the Act. If the neighbours don't complain to noise control they get what they deserve.

www.3888444.co.nz
                        Facebook Page

Comment

As I have only recently purchased this rental property these are the first tenants I've moved in.

I have heard from other neighbours the house has had a series of terrible tenants so maybe it's my tenants who are 'the icing on top of the cake' in terms of the elderly couples limits. Really don't know how to deal with this, because I'd rather not have the local newspaper alerted.

Good point Keys, and quite right too

Comment

If you do kick the tenants out there is no guarantee that the next lot will be any better.
                            As a LL you have no power to enforce good tenant behaviour - pity we're not issued pepper spray/batons.
                            Talk to the neighbours and explain what action you have taken.
                            At least seeing you respond may calm them a little.

That or loan the tenants a bigger stereo, slab of beer for being such good tenants - then make low ball offers on the neighbours properties!
                            The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

Comment

I seriously doubt the newspaper would be interested in a neighbour dispute unless it is really juicy.

Comment

Working...
                              X