Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Going Bankrupt" - Not as bad as you would think.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Going Bankrupt" - Not as bad as you would think.

Bankrupt Kiwi property developer is still living in a 660sq m Las Vegas home despite defaulting on its $2.8 million mortgage four years ago.

Rod Nielsen was declared bankrupt in September 2009 over a personal guarantee on $14.5 million owed to failed finance company Bridgecorp.

While the loan that sank him was to fund Queenstown's Lake Esplanade development, the 45-year-old was already known for his involvement in substandard and incomplete terraced housing projects.

The Official Assignee has opposed Nielsen being discharged from bankruptcy and wants him to stay adjudicated for a further three years.

A Bankrupt Kiwi property developer is still living in a 660sq m Las Vegas home despite defaulting on its $2.8 million mortgage four years ago.

I know people here that have lasted over 6 years before they actually get foreclosed on. And then once the bank owns it often the owners are still left in to prevent vandalism!

Comment

Yep.
      That whole area of the US housing / banking system sure seems a shambles.

Little doubt that nothing will have changed by the time we see the next debt meltdown.

At least we don't have non recourse here, as it is still far too easy for some borrowers to escape their personal responsibilities.
      Last edited by speights boy; 12-07-2013, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Well I was brought up in it so I think it's "normal" but I think we have a huge lack of accountability here. Even bankruptcy itself is almost a strategy rather than any form of consequence.
        Did you know that if you go bankrupt under the right chapter and you are a landlord you get to keep all your properties and all your rent but don't have to make any loan payments? Crazy huh!

Comment

Originally posted by Memphis Turnkey Property View Post
          Crazy huh!
          Yep.
          And that is why many elsewhere in the world will have little sympathy when the house of cards -pun intended- implodes under it's own stupidity.

Comment

Well I was brought up in it so I think it's "normal" but I think we have a huge lack of accountability here. Even bankruptcy itself is almost a strategy rather than any form of consequence.
            Did you know that if you go bankrupt under the right chapter and you are a landlord you get to keep all your properties and all your rent but don't have to make any loan payments? Crazy huh!
            Memphis Turnkey Property,

Welcome to Property Talk. That is really interesting stuff you are posting above. I find it really interesting to hear your insights into the USA market. It's bloody mindboggling and difficult for us kiwis to get our head around most of the rules and stuff like bankruptcy that you mention above.

Lack of accountability you call it.....sheeeesh.....I call it "lunatics are running the asylum" over there.

Thanks again for sharing.

Shane

Comment

us kiwis
              Why would you name yourselves after a small green fleshed acidic fruit?

Comment

Not sure if you are joking around ...?

So....Kiwi...a silly bird that can't fly and is native to NZ.....a kiwi bird. That is what NZers call each other.

Not the silly fruit ;-)

Shane

Comment

Really? Now that's funny. I just googled it. Wow that's really a bird? Looks more like a fat rodent with a huge nose!
                  Anyway just goes to show you never stop learning.

Comment

Really? Now that's funny. I just googled it. Wow that's really a bird? Looks more like a fat rodent with a huge nose!
                    Anyway just goes to show you never stop learning.
                    I've had this feeling of deja vu before.

Goodness you Nzers. So can I ask what shafting and rodgering are then?
                    Last edited by speights boy; 13-07-2013, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Yeah me too SB - you're not wondering if Dean Letfus is in the house by chance are you? Similar style etc aye.

cheers,

Donna
                      Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Well if you mean style as in "he has great style" I don't think Dean qualifies. If you mean "I can't believe he's wearing that" then I guess you could be right.
                        When I told him the other day I had found this New Zealand forum called Property Talk he laughed for quite a while but didn't tell me why. So I guess y'all know him then?
                        I'll tell him you reached out to say Hi Donna. I assume he will know who you are.

And I am also wonderin what shafting and rogering are?? Real Estate terms?

Comment

And I am also wonderin what shafting and rogering are??
                          Ask Dean.
                          I am sure he give you one explanation.
                          "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

Comment

Ask about the phrase Shaftor and Shaftee.

www.3888444.co.nz
                            Facebook Page

Comment

What amazes me is that after selling an internet based product someone can still be so clueless about the internet and the information that is readily available.

That is the ownership record for the website given by "Chuck" in his posts in the caveat emptor forum.
                              Last edited by Xav; 17-07-2013, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X