Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Double Glazing Increase the Property Value?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Double Glazing Increase the Property Value?

Hi all,

Just awaiting a quote for pulling out all of the aluminium window frames, and replacing them with new thermally broken double glazed windows. Assuming this will cost me in the vicinity of $25K, is this a cost likely to be recouped in the value of the house? The rest of the house will be done up over time to a high standard, and it seems silly not to go the whole hog, but $25K is a fair chunk. Clearly it'll help with the Christchurch winter, but it's a lot of kW to repay that sort of cash....

Cheers, all the best,

I think there is ever increasing consciousness of energy efficiency factors when buying. Personally I would rather spend on energy efficiency than say redecoration or a super duper kitchen for both resale and letting potential.
    An aside, I find the WANZ site good for comparing effectiveness of double glazing systems; at the moment I am considering retrofitting aluminium windows whereby just the exterir beading is replaced and a new double glazed window inserted - so not thermally broken but a lot cheaper.

Comment

Eugene, I am also considering this for my own house where the aluminium frames are in good condition. Have you done any price comparisons yet? Keen to know who is cost effective (although I want it done well).

Dugster, I am thinking of doing new window frames for a rental where the aluminium frames are old and "shonky" (first generation). Not sure on the addition cost of using thermally broken (are you?) or the gain of this over other measures (low e glass, argon gas in the gap, etc)

Paul.

Comment

I someone coming to do a quote next week for the retro fitting double glazing to the existing frames next week, so will be interesting to see what the difference is. But this is for the house I live in, so I'm more inclined to bite the bullet and do the frames while I'm there depending on the cost difference. I also want to change some of the external cladding which means ripping out the window frames anyway. In for a penny....

I'm not sure of the additional cost of thermally broken vs new frames which aren't Paul, but again, to me it seems better to go the whole 9 yards if I'm going to do it.

Comment

I will dig the quotes out.
          If replacing anyway because changing external cladding, I would definitely go for thermally broken. Or uPVC windows.

Comment

These are the windows I'm looking at putting in. http://www.european-window.com/pdf/F...ne_version.pdf

Page 14 has the performance characteristics and comparisons to other systems. There is much better than thermally broken aluminium around. Does cost a bit more.

Comment

I've just put up honeycomb blinds. I read somewhere they were as efficient as double glazing. I am very happy with them, the house feels so much warmer now. http://www.blindsonline.com.au/honeycomb-blinds

Comment

Originally posted by Anomaly14 View Post
                I am very happy with them, the house feels so much warmer now. http://www.blindsonline.com.au/honeycomb-blinds
                The placebo effect
                You feel warmer but it is really warmer?

Comment

I can't remember where I read all the statistics but they impressed me enough to try them. Even just holding your hand against the windows with one blind up and one blind down you can feel the difference.

Comment

Usually people pay more for nice things on the eye, ie new carpet, new paint, new kitchen, new bathroom...

So I'm not sure what will happen with double glazing.

If you are selling in winter, just get some heaters to warm up the house before each open home...

Comment

Will it pay? It depends on where you live - Chch I'd say yes, Kaitia probably not.
                      It might not translate into direct $ but adds to desirability and that will drive $ depending on the market.

Comment

Working...
                      X