HRV System vs Double/treble Glazing - 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HRV System vs Double/treble Glazing - 2013

Now I feel the HRV and d glazing is a discussion every year, but thought I would bring it up again, a little bit more specific to my own property.

What experience have people had with HRV systems, especially in older homes?

Our 120m² place is heated by fireplace and heatpump at opposite sides of the house, and warms up pretty quickly, but seems to lose the heat quite quickly as well.

I feel decent thermally backed curtains + HRV system would be the best option, but would love others opinions.

We've been tossing up between fitting our 1907 villa with either retrofitted trebleglazing or installing an HRV system. The HRV system works out about $1500 cheaper from quotes, and doesn't ruin the character of the home (we have quite a few leadlight windows we love).

The HRV guy also sold us the product a lot better than the treble glaze guy, so I may be biased/misinformed.

HRV is very good for ventillation but not for heating (or cooling). In my previous house (a 1920's 100m² bungalow), we had a ducted heat-pump AND HRV which worked brilliantly. The HRV kept the air fresh and the Heat Pump heated/cooled it. The house had no curtains, only wooden venetian blinds. It was however insulated both underfloor and in the ceiling.

In my current house (a 1890's villa) I have installed a ducted Heat Pump only and find that it is more difficult to get a consistant temperature throughout the entire house.

I found the HRV salespeople very pushy and would never install one of their systems again. They typically use non-insulated ducting and don't wire back to the electrical panel (they just cut into an existing circuit). There are alternative systems available from Electrical wholesalers that you could probably install yourself for a lot cheaper.

Comment

I would do the treble glazing first, then review the difference it makes and reassess the heating needs. You will also most likely find, that you dont need the "decadent thermally backed curtains".

Comment

One is a ventilation system, one is better insulation. Ventilation is about maintaining air quality and removing moisture. One is to reduce heat loss.

Which issue are you wanting to address?

Comment

I had a Smartvent [Securimax] system installed in a property in Manurewa as the tenant had complained of cold & chill. What a waste of money!
          It worked poorly from the start .The filter needs to be replaced once a year & costs around $80! Not an easy job as you have to climb up in the loft.
          On a tiled roof which my property had, there is lots of air coming into the attic space & the systems dont work well.
          Smartvent' my electrician told me are better than HRV.But useless for many situations.

Double glazing & insulation work well independent of any situation.

Comment

Originally posted by mrsaneperson View Post
            On a tiled roof which my property had, there is lots of air coming into the attic space & the systems dont work well.
            Smartvent' my electrician told me are better than HRV.But useless for many situations.
            Ventilation systems do not heat homes unless there is a heater element in it. Warm air in the roof space during winter is a myth and recent studies show they cool houses down. They can potentially make it easier to heat the home by reducing moisture. The fact your home had a tile roof is irrelevant.

I don't know why anyone would buy a ventilation system which takes air from the roof space. If there were a fire, the last thing I'd want is one of these pumping smoke and toxic gases into my bedrooms. A balanced ventilation system taking air from outside and passing it through a heat exchanger to collect heat from waste air from the kitchen and bathroom would be what I would install if I were to put in a ventilation system. It does required the house to be reasonably airtight and my 70 year old house isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by mrsaneperson View Post
              He would say that - it is a product that electricians can buy trade and make good money installing whereas HRV is locked up in franchises.
              I still think it is a good system though. They have an additional product where the combine the positive ventilation with heat transfer using the same duct.

Comment

Originally posted by Scave View Post
                In my previous house (a 1920's 100m² bungalow), we had a ducted heat-pump AND HRV which worked brilliantly. The HRV kept the air fresh and the Heat Pump heated/cooled it.
                did you do this with seperate ducts or push the HRV into the ducted heat pump ducts somehow?

Comment

Originally posted by DazRaz View Post
                  I don't know why anyone would buy a ventilation system which takes air from the roof space.
                  They work. Have a rental where the tenants complained of mould etc. Installed HRV and problem gone. House easier to heat as moisture laden air is pushed out (with a bit of heat as well) and drier air is cheaper to heat.

Comment

A balanced ventilation system taking air from outside and passing it through a heat exchanger to collect heat from waste air from the kitchen and bathroom would be what I would install if I were to put in a ventilation system. It does required the house to be reasonably airtight and my 70 year old house isn't.
                    Smartvent make one of these also - not cheap though.

Comment

There is no mention in the original text of any other insulation in the house. Bang for buck might be better on ceiling insulation first ? Sounds like you are creating the heat well enough, just can't keep it in, and all the 'studies' show that the biggest % of it is lost out through the ceiling ?

Comment

Best Option: Sell the 100+ year old money pit and buy a new home
                        You can find me at: Energise Web Design

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne View Post
                          They work. Have a rental where the tenants complained of mould etc. Installed HRV and problem gone. House easier to heat as moisture laden air is pushed out (with a bit of heat as well) and drier air is cheaper to heat.
                          So potential death trap doesn't concern you?
                          Last edited by DazRaz; 12-06-2013, 05:18 PM.

Comment

So potential death trap doesn't concern you?
                            if by that you mean a fire that gets into the ceiling and distributes smoke via the ventilation then no. I would be interested to know if this has ever happened or what th chances are. Generally I am more interested in the here and now than vague possibilities.

Comment

HRV draws from the ceiling space. Which products draw from the exterior via a vent in the eaves?

Comment

Working...
                              X