Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security Keys headache

I have a question for members.

I own a block of 4 flats. A few years ago I installed a security key system which means that Keyscan only be cut with the permission of the landlord... and by the samelocksmith who first installed the locks.

The best thing about this is that the landlord has controlover how many keys are issued for the flat. It gives tenant protection because it means previous tenants have nothad extra keys cut to come back and rob newbie tenants........

I have just had a tenant leave and they were issued with 2keys which it has on the tenancy agreement however they only returned one.

I have had a quote from the company to change the 2 barrelsinside the locks front and back door and issue 2 new keys is $111. To just cut another one of these keys is$15....... I want to charge them to change the locks because I want any newtenants to have peace of mind of security and thats the whole reason why i paidfor these locks in the first place

My previous tenants are threatening to take me tenancytribunal saying that they should not have to pay the money to change the locksthey should only have to pay to have 1 extra key cut...... for the one theylost......

Has anyone had any experience with this before?

Did you add a clause into the TA about security keys and the tenant having to pay to replace the barrels if lost?
    If not you may have to wear it.
    Add a clause in for new tenant so they are aware of the cost.
    The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

Comment

I already have a full typed page of Additional Cluases which I thought were bullet proof....... looks like the list will be getting longer.... no i didn't have a clause about that.... :-( :-( sad panda...... I spent a lot of money installing this system to protect my tenants...... and instead im the one that gets lumped with the cost because the tenant is careless and loses there key.....

Comment

I would do this.

www.3888444.co.nz
        Facebook Page

Comment

Is the departing tenant otherwise trustworthy? Could you not just forget it was lost and move on, assuming it's down some drain somewhere? Get a new key stamped and away you go.

Comment

The departing tenant is not trustworthy... and I know they have said lies about other things... like the hole in the wall happened from moving a bed... I had a professional look at it who said no definately someone put there fist through the wall.

Under section 46 of the act am i not meeting my requirements of providing a property reasonably secrure when I know there is another key out there.... if my new tenant got robbed... in the future and someone had a key i dont want to be fined for the loss of there belongings....

Comment

The key word there is "reasonably". I'd say you were doing that and some. Certainly a lot more than many other landlords.

Comment

I have had a quote from the company to change the 2 barrels inside the locks front and back door and issue 2 new keys is $111. To just cut another one of these keys is $15....... I want to charge them to change the locks because I want any new tenants to have peace of mind of security and that's the whole reason why i paid for these locks in the first place

My previous tenants are threatening to take me tenancy tribunal saying that they should not have to pay the money to change the locks they should only have to pay to have 1 extra key cut...... for the one they lost......
                *sigh*

What is the point of having another key cut, if the security is compromised? Advise the tenant that they are more that welcome to take you to TT. It is their responsibility to return all keys, if they don't then you as a responsible, caring, security conscious LL cannot allow the property to be rented out until the situation is fixed. Getting another key cut whilst one is still missing is not an option.

Advise them that you are more than happy to delay getting the lock re-jigged until TT. Would they like to pay for a couple of weeks rent until it goes to TT? (*laughing hard*!!)

Most of the charge of getting security keys/tumblers replaced is the cost of the call-out/travel. Changing the tumblers inside the barrel takes about ten minutes (I've seen it done).

Don't release the Bond until you have an invoice for re-jigging of the lock. Then include copy of invoice in Bond claim. If the tenants want to claim, let them.

IMHO, if they can't return a key, I hardly think they'll be bothered spending $20.44 to take you to TT.
                Patience is a virtue.

Comment

I agree with Essence. The tenant pays, I wouldn't think twice.

Comment

Sorry for side track, Keys have you used that particular lock? Over what period?
                    Thinking of a property that has a covered entrance so it won't be exposed to weather so much but...
                    Rentex Limited Property Management - Est. 1988

Comment

Working...
                    X