Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Warrant of Fitness for rentals (including details)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'To whom they loan their cars'.

Comment

• Comment

• That's pretty funny. To whom was it addressed?

Comment

• It was addressed to: who

Comment

• Healthy Homes Bill Fails
            by EDITOR on WEDNESDAY, MARCH 18, 2015 — 9:57 PM
            A bill intended to bring in minimum standards for rental housing has not passed its first reading. The Healthy Homes Guarantee Bill had the purpose of ensuring that every rental home in New Zealand meets minimum standards of heating and insulation.

The bill’s sponsor Phil Twyford said there needed to minimum standards or a warrant of fitness for all rental housing because too many were substandard and left people living in cold, damp homes. The bill would give landlords five years to get rental houses up to a liveable standard.

National MPs spoke against the bill saying standards were improving and the bill would be counterproductive as it would mean landlords taking houses off the market to meet what would be impossible standards in some homes with others beyond the control of the owner. Those who did meet the standards would increase their rents to meet the costs of doing so, they argued.

National MP Paul Foster-Bell described the bill as sloppy with a “Stalinist” approach as a ‘one size fit all’ approach would have unintended consequences. A number of opposition MPs said any problem with the drafting of the bill could be addressed in select committee.

The bill failed to advance on a vote of 60 to 60 with National and ACT opposed.

Comment

• I can just see the lefties screaming about croneyism, now.
              My blog. From personal experience.
              http://statehousinginnz.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by artemis View Post

National MP Paul Foster-Bell described the bill as sloppy with a “Stalinist” approach as
                a ‘one size fit all’ approach would have unintended consequences.

National MPs spoke against the bill saying standards were improving and the bill would
                be counterproductive as it would mean landlords taking houses off the market to meet
                what would be impossible standards in some homes with others beyond the control
                of the owner. Those who did meet the standards would increase their rents to meet
                the costs of doing so, they argued.
                I'm very wary of politicians who seem to be displaying some common sense.

Where was it with the no-depreciation antic?

Comment

• Originally posted by sidinz View Post
                  I can just see the lefties screaming about croneyism, now.
                  By them? Or against them?

Comment

• how many psychologists

does it take to change a light bulb

just 1

but the light bulb has to want to change
                    have you defeated them?
                    your demons

Comment

• So it's a dead duck now and will go no further?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Kane View Post
                        So it's a dead duck now and will go no further?
                        A dead duck now but not necessarily forever. There are some strong lobby groups out there, I'd expect to see another similar member's bill added to the list at some stage. Since all parties except National and Act voted against it, and it was 60-60, a change in the makeup of the parliament could mean it becomes a live issue again. And there will be a change of government at some point.

Comment

• So, if you are a renter and there is a hole in the kitchen cupboard letting rats in, would you :

- plug the hole
                          - talk to the landlord about plugging the hole
                          - lay a trap or two
                          - do nothing
                          - wait for an important person to turn up and show them the hole.

There's renewed calls for a warrant of fitness system for rental houses in Christchurch. The Maori Development Minister spent time in Christchurch this wee

It always surprises me when otherwise sensible people use one or two anecdotes to call for a huge and expensive nationwide system to be implemented.

There was a similar story on Stuff today. Mind you it did have a different anecdote. So that is two from the Minister. I wonder if the Minister mentioned 14 day notices.

Comment

• I would
                            - plug the hole as best I can in a temporary manner
                            - tell the LL and get them to make a permanent repair.

My son did 1 (via expanding foam) and 2 when they left - but it was a pretty shitty flat.

Comment

• Originally posted by artemis View Post
                              It always surprises me when otherwise sensible people use one or two anecdotes to call for a huge and expensive nationwide system to be implemented.

There was a similar story on Stuff today. Mind you it did have a different anecdote. So that is two from the Minister. I wonder if the Minister mentioned 14 day notices.
                              Why would it surprise you - makes for good news (actually bad news but sells).

Comment

• And nobody asked the question:
                                Did the tenant do something to make the hole?
                                Does the tenant have piles of rubbish outside?
                                Or any number of other, obvious question like
                                is there any alternative accommodation in the
                                area at a similar price?

Of course not. It's always the LL's fault, every
                                time, no matter what.

Comment

Working...
                                X