X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repeated Burglaries for fixed term tenants

Hi All,

Need some advice here.

I am living in a rental property with a fixed term contact in Papakura since 1.5 years. The 1.5 years were nice and good, but all good things come to an end and so has this . My house has been burgled twice in 2 weeks. The second burglary being quite a violent break-in (luckily we were not at home). However, it have left us quite shaken and afraid for our safety.

My fixed term contract ends in October this year, and I can not see how I can manage to live in this house for 7 more months. My question is: Do repeated burglaries count as "extenuating circumstance" to prematurely terminate a fixed-term contract (obviously I am willing to co-operate till they find a new tenant)? Please advise what options do I have here?

How about talking to the LL about an alarm system?

Comment

I would discuss it with your landlord. If you just took off, he would probably lose in tenancy tribunal, so it's in his interests to negotiate.
      You can find me at: Energise Web Design

Comment

Originally posted by drelly View Post
        I would discuss it with your landlord. If you just took off, he would probably lose in tenancy tribunal, so it's in his interests to negotiate.
        Hi drelly,
        Thanks for your reply.
        Sorry I didn't understand what you mean by "just took off"?

Comment

Originally posted by priinnz View Post
          Hi drelly,
          Thanks for your reply.
          Sorry I didn't understand what you mean by "just took off"?
          scarpered, done a runner, vanished, moonlight flit

Comment

Negotiate first with the LL to give 3 weeks notice to terminate.
            If no joy then pay the $20.44 and take the LL to the tenancy tribunal to seek termination.
            Worth a try.
            The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

Comment

Originally posted by jimO View Post
              scarpered, done a runner, vanished, moonlight flit
              Thanks for elaborating jimO.

Just never thought of that as an option!

Comment

Originally posted by PC View Post
                Negotiate first with the LL to give 3 weeks notice to terminate.
                If no joy then pay the $20.44 and take the LL to the tenancy tribunal to seek termination.
                Worth a try.
                Thank you both. Gives me some confidence to talk to the LL

Comment

It's very common for burglaries to come in pairs or threes. While the thief is going through the house the first time he/she is looking for other entry points and items to steal next time.

What have you done to insure they don't come back? A pair of size 14 boots on the front door step? A fake alarm box and a few alarm company stickers placed in strategic places? Informed LL of any issues with doors or windows? Hang a big blokes shirt on the washing line? Beware of Dog sign on the gate? Micro dots on all items of interest?

There will always be opportunists looking for their next target no matter where you live, the secret is to make your house look a little more risky than your neighbours.

Comment

Sorry I dont understand, why would the LL lose at the tribunal? Its not his fault that the property has been targeted just looking for clarification as someone very new to all this how the landlord could be held accountable?

Comment

Why is this the landlords problem? If the house is secure, trees are trimmed back, an alarm installed etc, then why is a burglary grounds for ending a tenancy? Unless possibly you can't get insurance anymore?

That said, If i was you, I'd speak to the landlord and voice your concerns. He may be happy to let you go as he can probably raise the rent given the current market.

Comment

Originally posted by Leelay View Post
                        Sorry I dont understand, why would the LL lose at the tribunal? Its not his fault that the property has been targeted just looking for clarification as someone very new to all this how the landlord could be held accountable?
                        After the adjudicator has consulted the patterns from the freshly scattered bones of two dead cats, the alignments of the stars past Jupiter and the tea leaves of both parties, he/she will most likely ignore anything the LL has said and find in favour of the tenant no matter how ridiculous their story may be. The Kangaroo Kourt, sorry I mean Tenancy Tribunal, is heavily weighted in the tenants favour. Though I may be a little biased. ;-P

But seriously, no mater what the conditions of any tenancy contract things can change and if the sob story pulls the right heart strings the adjudicator can find in favour of whoever. Though I would hope that it would only get to this point if the LL was somehow negligent in taking their tenants safety seriously.
                        Last edited by Learning; 03-04-2013, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Going back to my earlier question, what are you doing to make sure you are not a target again? It is terribly unfortunate that you have been a victim of a burglar but is it a valid reason to move? What is stopping you from being burgled at the next residence? If you owned the house would you sell it because of this?

Yes there are things the LL can do, such as installing an alarm but there are also a number of wireless alarm systems out there you could install yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Leelay View Post
                            Originally posted by Gladdynook View Post
                            Why is this the landlords problem? If the house is secure, trees are trimmed back, an alarm installed etc, then why is a burglary grounds for ending a tenancy?
                            I'm guessing you two haven't been to tribunal many times? "Learning" has pretty much summed up what I would say. My guess is that the landlord would get 3 weeks notice at best.
                            You can find me at: Energise Web Design

Comment

Ask yourself – what might attract a burglar?

Have you spoken to the landlord and what is the approach to fix a problem permanently? What are the weak entry points, blocked views, etc?
                              Running away might or might not resolve your problem as thieves are opportunists and screen other properties too.
                              We as LL uses a mobiles video surveillance system to reinstate trust until weak security has been improved.
                              In one case party-goers in the neighbourhood caused a lot of nonsense and a security cam with infra-red light (night vision) for the drive way resolved the issue. Ask yourself – what might attract a burglar?

Comment

Working...
                              X