No announcement yet.

weymouth or otahuhu poised to take off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weymouth or otahuhu poised to take off?

Hi all - we are first home buyers with bout 370k to spend in auckland (have a kid and need to be near airport for work), would love anybody's opinions on weymouth or otahuhu areas, seems you can get decent sized houses and they seem like they could be potentially good areas for capital growth (our main aim). i'm thinking these areas because it seems weymouth is priced so differently to wattle downs but they are so close and geographically similar (both near water and same distance from town etc), so potentially in the coming years maybe wattle downs value would spill over? same kind of thinking with otahuhu, it's got a bad rep, but its close to town, in the middle of everything really, and right next to booming mt wellington... thoughts anyone?

My thoughts...

Weymouth seems a bit better in pockets than Otahuhu.

If you are hoping for Wattle Downs prices to spill over... I doubt it would happen.
    Different class of people hence different price ranges.
    Remember there is a decile 9 primary school in Wattle Downs.

$370k... you can buy in the second half of Wattle Downs.
    However if your aim is for capital growth, I would advise against that as asking prices are already 25% over GV.
    That is the result of price spilling over that you thought might happen to Weymouth.

I walk a lot for my work.
    I have worked a few times in Otahuhu and Weymouth (just today actually).
    I suggest you take a 2 hour walk through both suburbs... all over and make up your own mind.

See a hell lot more walking than driving. I can guarantee that.

Comment

I am all for Otahuhu, that's where I am investing. It is on the motorway, close to the southwestern motorway, has two train stations and is close to Sylvia park. Also Otahuhu has Seaside park, I think you will start to notice price changes there which will get people talking about Otahuhu and as a result Otahuhu itself will start to increase. We are already seeing price increases and a lot of investor interest. Every person I have told about my investing in Otahuhu has said it is a good place to invest as well.

Another area you might want to think about is Mangere east, somewhere south of Massey rd, such as Rosella rd. You can buy nice character houses on large 700 sqm ish land for the $370k mark. Close to the airport, close to both motorways and there are some really nice streets in there.

Agree with Big red dog though, get out and go for a walk. Go to the supermarket on a Saturday morning see the types of people living there. Also drive through the streets at about 9pm on a Friday night, that will tell you a lot too.

Comment

If I HAD to choose between Weymouth and Otahuhu, (and I don't really like either) I would without a doubt choose Otahuhu.

The major major problem with Weymouth is you need to go through Clendon to get to it. Clendon is basically the worse suburb in Auckland right now. My property manager refuses to accept tenancies in Clendon.

Otahuhu is closer to the CBD, with better transport links. There are some reasonable pockets in Otahuhu and if you are taking a very very long term view, then it may improve sometime down the line.

Shane

Comment

Shane how did you get on on your Avondale mission - I think you were planning a buying trip?

Have you done a Fong on ADale?

Comment

Originally posted by SwissKiwi View Post
            Shane how did you get on on your Avondale mission - I think you were planning a buying trip?

Have you done a Fong on ADale?
            SW,

I ended up purchasing another in Papatoetoe. A 3 bedroom unit with internal garage in nice small block of 3 flats. Settlement isn't until the end of April so there is still time for something to go wrong .

As I live overseas, I just have not had the time to put in the time to "learn" Avondale yet. I plan a move back to Auckland within the next 18 months and will put in the time then.

I expanded my buying strategy this year. Right now I am looking for properties that will appreciate in value or I can easily add value. Nice complement to the 8%, 9%, 10% gross yielding Home and Incomes I picked up in 2010 - 2012.

Shane

Comment

How far above CV are decent properties going for, looking at a 3 bedroom with a granny flat below. But its 35% above CV?

Comment

Originally posted by yachty_nz View Post
                How far above CV are decent properties going for, looking at a 3 bedroom with a granny flat below. But its 35% above CV?
                what area are you looking at? I reckon 400k will get this for you
                http://Www.renopro.nz

Comment

Originally posted by Dood View Post
                  what area are you looking at? I reckon 400k will get this for you
                  Impressive valuation skills. How can you possibly give an indicative sale price with no information other than a property with a granny flat somewhere in nz is marketed at 35% above CV?

Comment

I moved into Weymouth a month ago and appeared on TV3 , the neighbours have been really good. I look out to Laurie Gibbons Reserve and had some reservations of my own before moving in. After being here for a month and checking out the characters around I can say that I feel like I have stumbled across a gem.

A lot of owner occupiers around my street have good things to say about the place and the reserve seems to attract normal types of people. Looking out to the water right now watching someone kick a rugby ball down in the field.

PS Link to the episode about Weymouth on my singature.

Originally posted by tracemyster View Post
                    Hi all - we are first home buyers with bout 370k to spend in auckland (have a kid and need to be near airport for work), would love anybody's opinions on weymouth or otahuhu areas
                    Hamish Patel | ph: 09 625 4693 | mob: 021 625 693
                    My Website
                    Be informed - register for our free monthly newsletter

Comment

What are the good streets in Weymouth and Otahuhu ?

Comment

Bit biased by look close to the Laurie Gibbons Reserve and along the water on the west side
                        My Website

Comment

Originally posted by mortgage broker View Post
                          Bit biased by look close to the Laurie Gibbons Reserve and along the water on the west side
                          Any good school zone there ? good for families ?

Comment

Not sure, its hard to tell, you really have to talk to people that teach here.

The decile will only tell you how rich the parents of the students are.
                            My Website

Comment

Hi

I would like your opinion on Otahahu. Have looked around for ages in there but returns are not good..

My thinking is this is brand new , no body corp tec.

Trade Me is New Zealand's leading shopping website, with thousands of online auctions and classifieds. Buy and sell online at TradeMe.co.nz!

Many thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X