Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Someone offering more than the listed rent - should I be concerned?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone offering more than the listed rent - should I be concerned?

Just listed a chch rental on TM - had someone contacting me within a couple of hours offering an extra $50 above the listed weekly rental. should i be concerned? or have other landlords had this happen? i understand maybe its a good time to be a chch landlord but the old maxim 'if its too good to be true, it probably is' sounds appropriate...

Do your usual checks.
    TINZ, references etc

Not uncommon for desperate tenants to offer above asking rent in AKL.

Comment

ok, thanks, just not used to it!

Comment

Originally posted by rentalrunner View Post
        ok, thanks, just not used to it!
        Be wary though. I would be.

Comment

Originally posted by rentalrunner View Post
          Just listed a chch rental on TM - had someone contacting me within a couple of hours offering an extra $50 above the listed weekly rental. should i be concerned? or have other landlords had this happen? i understand maybe its a good time to be a chch landlord but the old maxim 'if its too good to be true, it probably is' sounds appropriate...
          Sounds like you have underpriced your rental
          NZ Tax fixed fee accounting, we are an online accounting practice. Our integration with Xero and our unique approach provides provides superior value to our clients.

Comment

its a good time for ChCh landlords to ripp off their tennants

Comment

Originally posted by jimO View Post
              Yet again you blame the landlord. Change the record. In this instance (and many other instances in Christchurch), the tenant has driven up the asking price. Again, all other things being equal, take the offer.

www.3888444.co.nz
              Facebook Page

Comment

I have offered over and above the asking rent in years past when there were very few good places on offer, so I wouldn't be concerned. Enjoy it.

Classic lefty crap. Didn't hear anyone denigrating the tenants for paying so little in years gone when interest rates were higher and vacancies abundant.

Comment

Hi rents mean more incentive to build property this restoring the balance.
                  NZ Tax fixed fee accounting, we are an online accounting practice. Our integration with Xero and our unique approach provides provides superior value to our clients.

Comment

A few years ago, I rented out my home when I moved to Tauranga for awhile. We had an open day and had a large number of tenants come through. One family offered something like $80 more a week to secure the house, pushing it up to $600/wk - well above the market rate at the time. They were my favoured prospect tenants even without the offer of money, so for me, that was a bonus. Their motivation? To live in the school district that they wanted. They moved out a year or so later to go to Japan - but it didn't work out. When my replacement tenants moved out after 6 months, the original family moved back in and stayed for another few years until I moved back in. I am possibly moving out again later this year - and I have already contacted them in case they are interested in coming back.

So... for me, it worked out to be a very positive thing. I had excellent tenants - AND more money in the bank. Find out their motivation for paying more.
                    Lisa

Comment

Originally posted by buxlo122 View Post
                      Hi rents mean more incentive to build property this restoring the balance.
                      you think the rebuild is going to mean things built properly !!!!!!, there will be on going work for decades fixing the cocked up rush jobs, i was talking to a painter the other day who is working in ChCh they are under instruction to do no invasive work so if there is a crack fill it and paint it, get it signed off as finished, dont worry about why its cracked

Comment

^^^ I detect some bitterness.

www.3888444.co.nz
                        Facebook Page

Comment

Originally posted by Keys View Post
                          ^^^ I detect some bitterness.
                          not at all, i have more than enough to do here, wait till they let the thousands of imports lose on the labour market, that makes a mockery of the LBP scheme for a start
                          Last edited by jimO; 22-02-2013, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Of course, run a background check on them and etc. It might be that a tenant is first time renter and trying to get a place. It is not necessary a bad thing, but sure be careful and check before you go ahead with this tenant.

Comment

Christchurch people are desperate to secure safe rental accommodation many are/have been home owners and for the first time in years they've been forced into the rental market. I know of one couple paying $750/week for nothing flash!! Been out of their own home since Sept 2010 and no sign of the Insurance Co playing ball any-time soon So do your normal checks and see how they come out with them.
                              Kaye
                              www.streetsaheadpm.co.nz

Comment

Working...
                              X