Auckland rents are outstripping wages and rising faster than inflation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auckland rents are outstripping wages and rising faster than inflation

The Herald takes a break between fawning Paul Holmes stories to publish a take on the rental property market:

Latest breaking news articles, photos, video, blogs, reviews, analysis, opinion and reader comment from New Zealand and around the World - NZ Herald

Pity that the longer term picture is only mentioned well down in the article
    'For quite a lot of that last 12 years, rents have actually increased at a much slower pace than CPI'

Certainly, compared to the value of the house, rents have halved over the last 20 years.
    Last edited by flyernzl; 25-01-2013, 08:27 AM.

Right. A shame the relevant paragraphs did not get more emphasis.
    Originally posted by abridged
    ASB chief economist Nick Tuffley said that for quite a lot of that last 12 years,
    rents have actually increased at a much slower pace than CPI ... but the times
    when we have seen rents lift relatively sharply have coincided with a housing
    supply shortage.

Comment

around this time of every year, this kind of article always pop up.

Mt wellington, Mt albert, Mt Eden rents for units have not increased this year compared to last.

Comment

Originally posted by NovInvestor View Post
        around this time of every year, this kind of article always pop up.

Mt wellington, Mt albert, Mt Eden rents for units have not increased this year compared to last.
        I can say with 100% certainty that 2 bdr units in Mt Wellington have gone up by around $20 per week in the last 12 months, we are now starting to see units for $370 per week, infact there were two unremakable 2bdr units listed yesterday for $395. Trademe

Comment

Originally posted by blurt View Post
          I can say with 100% certainty that 2 bdr units in Mt Wellington have gone up by around $20 per week in the last 12 months, we are now starting to see units for $370 per week, infact there were two unremakable 2bdr units listed yesterday for $395. Trademe
          Yes but will they be rented for $395? Asking price and final 'purchase' price are two different things, but good luck to them if they can rent that high!

I always keep this search on my browser.

Look at the number of sub-$350 listings....

Comment

Personally i have not seen any real evidence of rents going up in the south & east areas of Auckland. They have remained very static for the last 5 years.

Comment

Working...
            X