what i have learned about investing in the united states

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what i have learned about investing in the united states

I have been involved in the United States property market since November 2005 when I flew to Texas to buy an apartment building on behalf of a group that I was involved in. That led to a consulting role providing marketing and training in a real estate firm in San Antonio for most of 2006.

Since that time I have been back to America around 4 times a year and have mainly been involved in smaller deals on behalf of clients. However the conclusion I have come to is revisit the first deals that I was involved in namely Commercial property which is made up of apartment complexes, shopping centers ect. The reason that I have done this is because I believe that commercial property represents better long term value.

Since the Global Financial Crisis in 2008, finance, especially to foreign nationals is not available for residential property. What that means is that if you want to buy a property in the United States you have to pay cash. There is a lot of rubbish being sold in the United States.

Now if you think you can get a good property for $20,000 to $50,000, think again. In most cases these properties are located in slums or very low economic areas. So you go to the next level and buy a property between $70,000 and $100,000 what you have to consider is that if you are paying cash in most cases you are paying 6 to 7% interest on that money.

The reality is that if you are going to pay $100,000 in cash you will make more money in Australia. In fact I partner with investors in Australia to build development projects where it produces a high profit on investment. So what are your returns? I often hear of high returns quoted but they are normally gross returns not net. For example in many parts of America there can be very high properties taxes, in Texas the taxes are around 3% annually, so on a $100,000 property that’s around $3000 property management runs at around 10% plus costs to maintain the property. So by the time you add in these costs often your real or net return can be well under 10%

However, when you look at commercial property there are some advantages.
    Firstly even as a foreign national you can borrow around 60% on low rates through a bank. Some of the deals I have been looking at are returning around 17% net, that’s after all costs including Property Management, finance and of course property taxes.

The second advantage is that even if you invest with other people you are generally buying into much higher quality properties, which is why the banks are prepared to lend around 60%. ]

Thirdly apart from the cash flow we also believe that there will be strong capital growth over a 5 year period.

The next point is if you buy a single house what happens if you lose a tenant. It means from day one your cash flow takes a 100% hit.
    However if you own an Apartment complex, one vacancy short term will not dramatically hurt your cash flow.

Finally you are able to leverage your money in other words if you put down 40% in cash you can borrow the rest allowing you to buy much higher value investments.

However before you invest do your due diligence carefully and remember that the quality of people you work with on the ground will determine whether you succeed or not.
    Last edited by muppet; 14-10-2012, 10:51 PM. Reason: readability _ I hate solid text.

I agree, I own 3 commercial properties in Memphis, Tennessee. All are $200,000 and less. The biggest problems we have are the turn arounds with low income tenants, and maintanance due to old flat roofs and piping. We are able to continue to float these properties because of proper management, and the excellent cash flow from our single family rentals.

Comment

Nigel. I am a huge fan of being able to leverage my investments. Not being able to get finance as a foreign national in the USA is not correct however. I was and are still able to get genuine bank finance from a bank in Texas at 5.5% with a down payment anywhere from 30-50% for SFH's.

I was just approved in Phoenix by a genuine bank at 5.5% but have to put 50% down payment. Mind you we are not talking the sub $60K property prices. The banks are not foolish enough to want to dabble in the lower end of the market and my spends are over $120K range. At the end of the day investing in single family homes is taking on much less risk for the normal investor then investing in commercial real estate.

Don't get me wrong...I have commercial real estate interests in Houston but I also have a higher risk tolerance then most and really wouldn't want to promote mums and dads investors into commercial. The reward can be higher but in turn so is the risk.

Comment

Hi Speedy
        I think it depends on what the commercial property is. Generally I like apartment complexes and they can be as few as 5 or as many as 200. The banks generally find these properties as quite a safe bet. I think in terms of retail or office that is riskier. However it depends on the deal

Comment

Interesting Facts.I agree commercial investment are more profitable,though risky and requires large capital base.

Comment

Hi Ryann

I disagree commercial invests are less risky because if you buy a 50 unit apartment complex and you loose a tenant it does not effect your cash flow greatly. However if you own a single house and you lose the tenants you are then without a return

Comment

If by commercial you mean multi family it is significantly more risky than SFR's in the USA. Management is much harder, collections are lower and your tenant quality is lower. USA is littered with people who lost their shirts in multi family.
              SFR's give you multiple exit strategies and better appreciation.

Comment

Great info. I was researching American property investing market for a while now. I have not decided to invest in the US property yet, but you provided a great information for thoughts.

Comment

Wow

Originally posted by mattinvestor View Post
                  Great info. I was researching American property investing market for a while now. I have not decided to invest in the US property yet, but you provided a great information for thoughts.
                  Nigel and Speedy

How are you both?Left this forum a bit back being a client is in town from New Zealand decided to revisit

Hope all is well commercial is the way to go if you are experienced investor.

Single family is for the start up investor.

Alex

Comment

Hey,
                    There are pro's and con's to both SFR and multifamily units.
                    First of all I disagree with not being able to find decent properties for 20-50K, Right now I have a list of over 20 rented and move in ready properties from 25-60K that are in decent areas that rent from 500-850 a month and are under market value for the most part. It takes hard work but the deals are out there.

I do prefer multifamily for a few reasons, IMO
                    1. All your maintenance calls are in fewer locations, cheaper property management.
                    2. Rehab can be completed very quickly with similar layouts and needed supplies
                    3. less impact from minor tenancy issues.
                    4. rehab cost more but more units are secured at once

Cons
                    1. Multifamily properties can be difficult to sell when the time comes.
                    2. Many attract lower class renters, that can run up repairs and management costs.
                    3. If you lose you lose big

Single family residents also have their own pros and cos IMO

Pros
                    1. properties are more liquid and much less overall investment is needed.
                    2. affordable SFR can be found in most markets with good ROI on flips or rentals.
                    3. demand for rentals is always high, no one likes to share properties if they don't have to.

Cons
                    1. large houses can eat up rehab budgets with just a few surprise repairs.
                    2. the cost of management and maintenance expand as the distances between properties expand.
                    3. If you have extended periods of untenanted property, it will destroy your profit models.

Also just a bit off the topic, I have some really great multifamliy commercial properties available at the moment.
                    They range from 60K 3bd-1ba duplexes that rent for 700 a unit, a 6plex of 2bd -1ba units that would rent for 650-700 a month 3 units are fully rehabbed/rented but 3 need electrical and plumbing upgrades estimated at 15K with a sale price of 215K, and a 4 plex rented at 550 per-unit for 119K.

If anyone would like any more detailed information on these properties, feel free to PM me.

Thanks
                    Chris

Comment

Cons
                      1. large houses can eat up rehab budgets with just a few surprise repairs.
                      That is no different to multi family. In fact multi family can be worse because a "minor" problem can affect multiple doors?

2. the cost of management and maintenance expand as the distances between properties expand.
                      If you are in the same areas and city there is no extra cost?

3. If you have extended periods of untenanted property, it will destroy your profit models.
                      So will vacancy in multi family. In fact MF can become blighted if occupancy drops too low?

Comment

Originally posted by Memphis Turnkey Property View Post
                        Cons

That is no different to multi family. In fact multi family can be worse because a "minor" problem can affect multiple doors?
                        True but once that minor problem is addressed your multiple doors are repaired at the same time. Also if rehab was conducted properly to start with, much of those minor issues are addressed before tenancy.

If you are in the same areas and city there is no extra cost?
                        Really? it doesn't cost you more to run around the city and contact renters individually. Maybe if you have all of your properties within a few miles. True the PM fee with be 8-10% but the nickle and dime of little jobs on multiple properties add up quick out of state. I've always saved money and time by stacking repair calls on the same property.

So will vacancy in multi family. In fact MF can become blighted if occupancy drops too low?
                        If your have your property blighted due to vacancy, you had a whole other list of problems to begin with. Its probably in the ghetto, the living space isn't up to market quality. Or the tenets you do have are driving away the ones you want.

In most cases I do prefer single family, its just hard to pass up some of the returns or leverage options you can get with multifamily.

Comment

Sorry that quote set up didn't work so well, Im still getting used to the system here.

Comment

Working...
                          X