Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Warrant of Fitness for rentals (including details)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warrant of Fitness for rentals (including details)

This is long overdue.. As a landlord I highly respect that the tenants should have peace of mind about health and safety , and its my obligation to make it that way.

There are too many half-wit landlords cutting corners and raping the market with dumpsters, whilst charging top dollar. The good times will soon be over for you...

OPINION: Minimum standards for rental accommodation to ensure they are safe and warm for kids is one of the recommendations in a Children's Commissioner's call for a Child Poverty Act in New Zealand.
    As a mother and grandmother, I am very concerned about child poverty, but I have to question whether a Warrant of Fitness is the best way to alleviate this issue.
    We already have legislation in place with regard to building standards and recent changes to the 2010 Residential Tenancy Act put penalties on landlords whose properties are not up to standard.

Last edited by donna; 26-10-2013, 08:00 AM.

I have no trouble with the concept.

What does trouble me is the vision (nightmare?) of a whole new Government bureaucracy with offices, clerks, permits, 0800 numbers and a tagline in Te Reo. I suppose it would do wonders for getting the number of unemployed down.
    And, of course, the associated costs of inspection and certification.

Comment

Originally posted by WaltNZ View Post
      There are too many half-wit landlords cutting corners and raping the market with dumpsters, whilst charging top dollar. The good times will soon be over for you...
      You would think market forces would push these half-wits (as you put them) out of the upper market into some secondary position where you pay for what you get?

Comment

More compliance = more rent increases.

Comment

Would anyone be keen to join a voluntary programme?

Comment

Do I have to be a half-wit to join?

Comment

I didnt get the memo on caring for others feelings, is this required for a landlord ?

Comment

Originally posted by Glizzle View Post
                I didnt get the memo on caring for others feelings, is this required for a landlord ?
                Caring for customers is probably a good thing - and your tenant is your customer.

Comment

Since when does WOF for motor vehicles change the driving style of people? Renting is a lifestyle. Why would you expect that WoF for housing would change that and how?

What you can change is the type of rental. But here already starts the confusion. What are the rentals causing problems? Are that purpose built multi-unit concrete blocks, purpose built housing owned by Housing New Zealand or are that family homes, owner occupied over decades and then privately owned and rented. Why turns a beautiful victorian cottage into a nasty rental?

Where is the incentive to put 40k for upgrading an outdated house into modern living? Will the tenant pay for it, does the landlord have any benefits as long as that house find its tenants?

With removing the repayments for wear & tear (depreciation) why would an investor upgrade a house and not get paid for it?
                  Last edited by klauster; 12-09-2012, 03:00 PM.

Comment

in case you haunt already noticed in this country , we have a sick case of the haves and have nots, and a monopoly in the housing sector coupled with a lack of new builds has created a dynamic of limited supply and over priced dumpsters.......

The tide is about to change,

"The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy, Drunk, Fat, old Dogg

Comment

lol a smarter individual realizes that rents on par with a mortgage is false economy.

The golden years of dumpster post baby boom inheritance free bees are over.....

Watch this space , better start doing up your dumpster now before you get stung by the reality Wasp

Comment

If I do up my dumps - where will the poor people live?
                        They can't afford the rent for flash places.

Nothing a capital gains tax won't fix I guess...
                        The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

Comment

Are you the guy with that tenant website, by chance??

Comment

you speak in riddles WaltNZ

Comment

riddler maybe but sure as heck aint the Joker

Comment

Working...
                              X