X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heating methods in Christchurch?

Hi Guys

Out of interest:
    This question is geared towards our Christchurch forumites (and any others) who have investment properties in Christchurch.

How are your properties being heated if you are not allowed to have open fireplaces or any type of fireplace in general?

Regards
    "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

Electric heat pumps

Cheers

tpo

Comment

Electricity for those that didn't originally have Fire Places and Heat Pumps for those that did (Purchased through the Ecan Scheme).

We don't allow Gas Heaters because of the moisture they produce.

Heat Pumps have received rave reviews from the tenants. They produce a good amount of heat and are really cheap in comparison to normal electric heaters. Quite a few of the tenants have Power Mangers installed so they can watch their money being consumed and they love it when the display changes less frequently.

N

Comment

Wow - we were looking at a heat pump - $4000 we were quoted....went for the night store heater option $1200.

Cheers,

Donna :P
        Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

As I've said in other posts. 9 Heat Pumps + ceiling space insulation (x2) + under floor insulation (x1) cost us around $15,000.

I put a link in the other post to the ECan scheme.

Pentioners get a free Heat Pump. I think they've still got money available in the scheme.

N

Comment

Our heat pump quote was in Kapiti - we didn't have the bargaining power of buying more than one....probably would have been cheaper if we were buying in Christchurch too....okay I'll jump out of this thread now as I see I shouldn't have been in it in the first place

...for all you investors in Kapiti - the Creda night store heater is the cheapest, most economical option.

Cheers,

Donna :P
            Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Don't be embarrased DonnaK, $4000 - $4500 installed, is the going rate here in Ch-Ch too. Your right on the money. In normal circumstances the Nite Store is the cheapest option and I like the Creda units.

I've never had anything to do with Heat Pumps before but the tenants really rave about them both from a heating and cost point of view. My 80 year old parents have just had one installed as they were struggling with bringing the wood in from outside and they think it is the best thing they've done in years.

The Ecan (Canterbury Regional Council) scheme is awesome but is only suitable for Rental properties that have working Open Fires in the main living area. You only have to pay 60% of their already sharp prices in return for blocking the chimney. Well worth taking advantage of if you are eligable.

N

Comment

Has any one had experiences with WarmUp Heating Systems - "warmup your sole" (I like that).

Good or bad would be nice to know.

Cheers,

Comment

Anyone privy to rebates etc for the rest of the Country?

Comment

One of the places I rented had a small diesel furnace, it could pump out the heat as it heated the outdoor pool and/or the oil in a couple of old column heaters.

Old house with no insulation and within 20 minutes the house would be warm (a day for the pool).

I asked why they chose diesel and the house was 100+ years ols and a heat pump would require insulation and a electrical wiring upgrade to where the pump would be.

I only have electric in my place and will be adding a heat pump too, the issue with the pump is if the indoors and outdoors temp's are the same or the house cools too much it will take a long time to get up to temp's where it can produce good heat.

Comment

Working...
                    X