Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US property price at their most stable for a decade, say analysts

US property price at their most stable for a decade, say analysts

Residential property prices in the US have increased on a quarterly and an annual basis nationally, according to the latest data from real estate data provider Clear Capital.

Its Home Data Index shows that it is the first time in two years that both indicators have risen in the same period.

The West, South and Northeast saw both quarterly and yearly price gains and the only area with price declines was the Midwest, but that area’s declines were less severe when compared to April’s report.
    ‘Home prices continue to show relative strength in April with virtually no change over the short term and tapering losses over the longer term,’ said Alex Villacorta, director of research and analytics at Clear Capital.
    ‘There has been quite a bit of buzz in the housing industry surrounding turning REOs into rentals. Our data suggests early activity from these programmes could be starting to take effect, with national REO only home price gains on a price per square foot basis vastly outpacing fair market prices on a national level,’ he explained.
    ‘Should investor interest continue to drive the expansion of REO to rental programmes over the next several months, there could be a significant impact on the market overall in terms of providing a rising floor to home values,’ he added.
    Quarter on quarter results were notable only in how little change was seen this month, with numbers very similar with the price changes reported last month.
    The nation lost a little ground with quarterly losses of 0.2%, showing continuing price stability over previous months’ reports.
    For the past five months, price movement at the regional level has settled in under 1% on a quarterly basis except in the Midwest, which the firm said is a level of stability not seen for a decade.

As the West, Northeast, and South are all in positive territory, significant losses in the Midwest are pulling down national numbers. The Midwest lost 2.7% of its value over the quarter, which is the fifth month of declines for this beleaguered region. Despite mild winter weather and an early spring, it wasn’t enough to kick off a home buying season in this region.

Looking at yearly results, prices are down 1% compared to last year, which is an improvement over the -1.4% loss posted in April’s Market Report.
    The Northeast, a market that has held up well throughout the housing crisis, posted a light 0.7% increase in prices year on year, while the rest of the regions are still trying to climb back into positive territory.

The West and South, while still negative for the year, also saw improvements over last month’s report, shrinking their annual losses by 1.4% and 0.3% respectively.
    Midwest year on year performance paints a very different picture, a loss of 4%, which is deeper than last month’s yearly loss of 3.8%.
    The Phoenix market, hard hit in the housing meltdown, is starting to sizzle with quarterly values increasing 3.8% more than the next highest MSA. Phoenix also tops the Highest Performing 15 list for the second month and has been either leading or in second spot on this list since February. However, with peak to current values at -58.2%, there is still a long way to go for Phoenix to see the values it once had.

The Milwaukee MSA is the hardest hit market in April with a dramatic quarterly loss of 12.5%. This loss is 5% more than the second hardest hit MSA, Columbus, Ohio, which posted a loss of 7.5%.

Source: http://www.propertycommunity.com/pro...-analysts.html
    New Zealand's #1 Marketplace for Property Investors & Sellers!
    FREE Access to HOT Property Deals
    CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO.

Hi Orkibi,

Thanks for the information?
    Can I please ask you few questions? I am very interested in investing in the US and want to get as much information as I can before taking the plunge.

I know that sales have increased, is this because we are getting into summer? and the sales and prices will drop again once we hit winter?
    I have a friend who is investing there at the moment, he ensures me that it is a great time to buy.

What would be your thoughts? can you please share with me and other readers some of your expert knowledge in the US market right now.

Thanks

Comment

Hello AndyK.

I'm not an expert in the USA market, i been following it for a while now and have friends who invest there.
      (and been there in April this year).

it is a good time to buy I hear.. and you need to follow the local economy prior to deciding to invest.
      the investors that i know are happy with their investments and some already seen capital growth.

I personally believe that USA have still time to run prior to entering a recovery BUT for the last 6 month there are some signs of green shoots.
      Nobody can predict Europe etc so.... the principle of investing there is still for cash-flow, in an area with good tenants demand, And have good and reliable property management is the key.

Comment

Wow, thanks for the reply.

It feels as though, US is like NZ in 2009 when I bought my first investment property. Lot of news about mortgage rates dropping, able to find some really good cashflow properties... just that there are more demand to buy US properties than NZ's. Hence the hype!!

Are you able to recommend me someone to talk to(one of your friend) to find a good management company in Atlanta?
        I am not really interested in capital growth at this stage. I will be happy with returns better than average. Which I heard is like 9.7%...Wow.

Thank you for your reply and please let me know if you have anyone in US who could give me some assistance.

Comment

just that there are more demand to buy US properties than NZ's. Hence the hype!!
          Some parts of Auckland is Booming now. try to buy a house in gey lynn now and you see what i mean.

Please visit my signature bellow and view/ read some of the articles by USA Investor or those who deal with it. -- Im sure you can contact them and feel free to ask questions.

Comment

Can't wait till the boom hits Palmerston North!!

How are Auckland apartments doing?

Comment

I had a conversation with an apartment investor who think the apartment market in AKL CBD is reaching the top of the prices for buying at discount. home buyers are buying there as well.

Comment

I'm a full time investor and licensed agent in the Atlanta market. I just joined this forum today, so I'm not sure of all the rules for posting here yet.

I'm assisting out of country investors to understand the real estate investing market here. I'm a licensed agent who understands the language of investors. I started as an investor myself long before becoming and agent and I'm known as The Agent Who Buys Houses in Atlanta.

I am available to answer questions about the local market here.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyK View Post
                  Can't wait till the boom hits Palmerston North!!

Presently it is going good. The prices are high at the moment.

Comment

Hi Andy, I just joined the forum and saw your post. I know it's been a while since you posted but if you ever wanted to discuss American property investing, please feel free to contact me. I used to live in Palmy for almost 10 years and still have a few properties there. Currently, I am residing in Los Angeles, but my wife and I are investing in Memphis and Atlanta. We have some really good connections in both markets. Cheers

Comment

It just shows how attractive it continues to be to buyers around the world.

Comment

Different Analyst have different theories, if its so then when US was hit with recession the property price had also gone down, plus in some states like California ,Las-vegas the price are the highest

Comment

Next week Blackstone start securitizing SFR's over here. Given our governments incompetence who knows where prices will go next in some markets. Give me boring, predictable Memphis any day!

Comment

Different Analyst have different theories, if it is so then when US was hit with recession the property price had also gone down, plus in some states like California ,Las-Vegas the price are the highest.

Comment

was just listening to a podcast where a doom and gloomer was saying that the only reason the usa housing market was flat was that the banks were holding off from selling LOTS of foreclosed property
                              have you defeated them?
                              your demons

Comment

Working...
                              X