No announcement yet.

Noob who wants to build garden shed on boundary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He’s unpredictable he was at it again, late last night measuring the shed spot up, I
    was hoping it was over – I even had the champagne. Im now going to have to enlist the other neighbour beside me and this spot to the common cause – I wonder what the word for “drainage issue” in Taiwanese is.

Ive got the balls to goto the council, but im now trying to figure out when for optimal effect.

Ive spoken to various people, and one of the issues I got is if he converts it to carport type structure instead of a shed, ie opened wall versus closed walled. He is will also play the line “Temporary” and “movable” – once a structure is there its shape will be defined. The fact that he is trying to do it in the corner and once you take into account three meters from "each" ie two neighbour boundaries – he will be out of room so im hoping he just pisses off, or calms his building ambition.

The other thing I got up my sleeve is his constant digging under his house – he has moved piles, laid concrete – “up to spec, bro” but without spec from council and he has not taken into account flood plain/drainage issues. The dirt/clay he has dug out has been mounted around his property and flatten to raise its level further again, possibly with design to alleviate his now flooding “basement” dwelling.

Do I get him when he starts ?, do I get him when he finishes the shed ?. I know his long term plans are to “terra form” his whole section, with terraces and trellis etc I wouldn’t have a problem with this, if he was professional about.

The problem I got is he is on a corner site, so even though the rules for shed seem to be cast in stone. He may have some other understanding or worm hole to crawl through.

These two sites list the requirements for anybody in my future tracks.

Difficult, time-consuming and expensive: these are words that are commonly associated with interior design. Not anymore with Storables! Hop on board the #cottagecore trend, be blown away by our array of English kitchens, add a touch of whimsical using tiny fairy lights and more. Whether you’re...

The confusing factor could be related to a building as apposed to a shed I think you need in his understanding three meters at the back of house and 1.5 meters from side of house – the issue then is being corner site, its hard to determine back of property.

Logic dictates this is his back yard as he has a deck with a bbq etc, but he maybe able to argue that its not.

He is in the shadow line of my house so he dosnt have any effect on my sunlight.

It looks like im not as happy as I thought I was.
    Last edited by TheFlash; 06-06-2012, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFlash View Post
      Do I get him when he starts ?, do I get him when he finishes the shed ?.
      It looks like im not as happy as I thought I was.
      Pick up the phone tomorrow and call the council.
      Tell them your neighbour is doing a lot of building/excavating work and you're not sure if he has a permit.
      Ask the council if they have issued a permit.
      Encourage the council to send around an inspector.
      Do it tomorrow.
      Nip this in the bud.

Don't stand around wringing your hands and asking people what to do.
      Phone the council.
      Tomorrow.

Comment

Cheers, Thanks.

Its now escalated with noise control at least and they have caught/warned him at it. (thanks for the tip about meeting the noise control officer that helped at lot in explaining the background to him) And tomorrow i will do the shed as enough of the profile is there.

I will update this for future people having the same problem.

It should be interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by jimO View Post
          did you take pics of the bikini clad lass..we like pics
          posting'em here would be inappropriate ... but since you like pics, would hate to disappoint ... here's beaut of a pic

[IMG]

Originally posted by Harvey View Post
          for evidential purposes of course. lol
          evidential purposes? ... absolutely ... and aiming to please
          Derived from "Turbid" ..... akin to toxic Carbide(s) .... by adding "e" to "Turbid", we then have,
          Turbide(s) = new alternative word for Scumbag(s) .. Thankfully, humanity's minority -
          May 2012

Comment

Originally posted by TheLiberalLeft View Post
            Props4u - I'm sure you're a lovely person and all, but your post makes YOU seem like a neighbour from hell. No offence.
            far from being young macho male and not endowed with riches like others around here, am unable to completely insulate myself from turbides (in day to day life) ... hence have been forced to single handedly confront loutish yobos ... if only to protect my rights which some whanau believes that thru their minions, they can rule with lies, abuse, false allegations, intimidation and violence (the whole works)

i respect others rights ... similarly ... i expect others to respect my rights ... for example peaceful enjoyment of my property ... and will not acquiesce to opportunistic turbides trampling my rights, i will deal with it head on ... and say it as it is

you didn't see me coming here crying out for help in my time of need AND am not prolific poster since its not my life (or style) and have no time for twitfacebookutube, nor do i need others to click the "Like" icon to feel good about myself

am not the brainiest of peeps hence came here to quietly learn AND enjoy, which i have done for quiet a while ... HOWEVER, if and when i see someone else going thru similar to what i've been thru and i can contribute and help, which is the object of these forums, i will try to help EVEN if at risk of seeming like neighbour from hell ... so be it ... any one who wants to think i am such a neighbour from hell is welcome to do so

the reality being ... your very point crossed my mind whilst composing post but was too tired to spend any more time on it doctoring it, it was verrry late ... no offense was taken BUT raising the issue called for some clarification - cheers
            Derived from "Turbid" ..... akin to toxic Carbide(s) .... by adding "e" to "Turbid", we then have,
            Turbide(s) = new alternative word for Scumbag(s) .. Thankfully, humanity's minority -
            May 2012

Comment

props to U

don't worry about

being tarred by the LL's brush

it's almost a badge of honor

round'ere
              have you defeated them?
              your demons

Comment

Originally posted by TheFlash View Post
                Cheers, Thanks.
                Its now escalated with noise control at least and they have caught/warned him at it. (thanks for the tip about meeting the noise control officer that helped at lot in explaining the background to him)
                from what you say, it appears your turbide has been "served" with notice ... it helps to keep track of progress of issues, therefore -

for an update to which you are entitled to, phone noise control (anytime, day or night, literally), quote your complaint number and ask them what happened about your complaint, was a notice served or not?

under normal circumstances and IF at time of complaint you provided your email address, you would be getting a report by email ... if you didn't give them email address, make sure you do the next time if and when laying second complaint

please note this - IF your turbide reoffends within 72 hours of having been served with a notice, he can get into big trouble ... which is why you need to keep track of issues and don't waste any time in reporting him again if he reoffends ... use same procedure again ... to cut long story short, slackening up on procedure is definitely not recommended, been there done that, that's my experience

seeing this is not loud music issue but a power tools issue ... and this is a GUESS on my part but one i can mentally substantiate ... your turbide would have his power tools impounded (not his hifi)

AND IN WHICH CASE i would strongly recommend that when/if laying such complaint (knowing its within the 72 hour limit) mention the 72 hours limit to the operator AND that power tools should be seized by officer

signed: mean neighbour from hell
                oh deary me, this is funny ... ROTFLMAO
                May 2012

Comment

I did follow up the next day, only a record that noise officer talked to me, no record of issued warning (so possibly only verbal even though officer said written). I know the officer did speak to the turbid, as turbid is now pissed. The pattern now with turbid is rush construction noise until seven and then stop. What i will do is let him do this a bit and then do him for excessive just before the seven cut off. Turbid now knows the rules at least (not past seven) but now has problems with understanding big words like "excessive".

Regards to his shed, Ive managed talk to the neighbour, their now onside at least. Unfortunately turbid is not very good at building sheds, he built his own house windows in and wife/partner was upset, so down goes shed and up it goes again, (we on iteration three of the shed now) in fact he’s just been up pruning the trees above it at 9:30pm on friday night in the rain - with his three other mates – I couldn’t ping him for it though - never mind.

Cheers

Comment

You do have to let people live and not fuss too much over their rights to use their property, BUT, as for the shed he shouldn't be putting it up near the boundary - rather, he should have discussed it with his neighbours then followed the regulations and kept it from its total height (measured from ground level at the structure itself to the apex of the roof) away from your boundary. Maybe you should register your complaint about the shed with the council so there is a record if he does try to get a permit that you have objected. Wouldn't it be awful if he got a permit to have it right on the fence line and receeding out? Yeah, you have a bad neighbour, but keep cool - don't fret the small stuff too much. But, I would definetly curb that shed build. I wonder if he has easements on his property so he can't build it anyway? Talk to the council.

Comment

For sure, he cant build it - legally - but enforcing that is another thing,

What hes done now is made a tent with tarp roof structure. So he has changed his plans.

Its an eyesore, if i went the council they wouldn't do anything about it as he can just pull it down, and then put it up again when they left.

At the end of the day, nothing i can do - even if they did make him take it down, he would put all his rubbish in the area - which would have the same effect. Yes, shed gone, but mess visible.

Where it is - is sort of the anus of my house, you know the spot which you never look at anyway, but know its there sort of thing. Ive had a scratch at it and now i just got to move on, with a permanent itch.

Just thank god, i dont get the water from it.

So Ive decided to leave him go, its one of those- you win the battle but loose the wars things.....

I even had a laugh the other day, as he wandering around with a master builder sticker on his van.
                      Last edited by TheFlash; 03-07-2012, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Your neighbour is just the gift that keeps on giving I look forward to future updates!

Make sure you wash the finger, that's all I can say...

Comment

What happened TheFlash?
                          “Our favorite holding period is forever.”

Comment

I decided the guy was a little unstable - and let it go (without going to the council). Later I packed my family up and moved out. Not worth the agro and the hate as the guy was lining up to self destruct, with me beside him. In the end about six months later he moved out as well - perhaps he didn't like his new neighbors from china (especially with all the curtain nets removed from our adjoining boundary so that he could get a full frontal viewing). The council really has no teeth - and my thought processes - is that it would be like sticking a stick a hornets nest - especially with his drug issue.

Comment

That sounds like the smart approach TF. I'm looking at doing a little verandah which will go right up to the boundary. This thread kept coming up in google search results.

The rules are clear but not so clear that is for sure!
                              “Our favorite holding period is forever.”

Comment

"The anus of the house". Now I've heard it all. I may borrow that phrase.

Comment

Working...
                                X