• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter MobilizeMail follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on RSS

Latest Threads/Videos

Categories:
Property
Other
Video
  1. Go to first new post Flatmates - storage problem

News and Views

Most Active - Last 30 Days

Deals and What's On banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Westie82 View Post
    We've had a good look around the forum - it's fantastic reading... but looking for some help or feedback from the 'experts' on suggested steps for us.

About us, as a couple - we're on a combined income of around $140k annually. Give or take $5k. We're in our 20's (29 and 26) and own a home, probably worth around $550/$570k, 6 rooms. There are 4 rooms rented out to flatties/boarders - total income of around $500 ($26k - no tax/boarders). Our mortgage is $230k, giving us around $320 in equity.

Now, it was all simple once - the plan, buy a 2nd house, rent it out for a year or two, shift in to it, rent out the current larger place. The reason - ideally a little closer to town than where we are (western heights), and to look after our future (investment property).

The plan, let's look towards Te Atatu *****ula. Buy a 3/4 room house, aim for around $450k- full mortgage, rent it out.

That's where it got messy. Over thinking it maybe, maybe not thinking it at all... but now we are in a little pickle and uncertain what's best.. our options:
    - Do we sell our house and buy a large house in Te Atatu *****ular and keep up the boarders... (low capital growth, wasted $$$ in house)
    - Do we buy a 3/4 room house in Te Atatu *****ular (looking around $450k - may get $450 rental return)
    - Do we buy a unit/apartment in a Eastern Suburb (Equity growth/good rental)
    - And after the forum, do we look at a house in Pt Chev or Avondale (I like the Avondale idea).

Does anyone have any feedback? Is there a rule - eg: $300k house ideally generates a $300 return in rent etc etc. Any guidance, advice or direction here would be appreicated? Any thoughts on Pt Chev/Avondale/Te Atatu *****ular? Or a unit in a Eastern Suburb?

Sorry bout the 20 questions...

Go to the next APIA Seminar where Ron Hoy Fong is speaking, and get a free consultation.

Ron will probably point you in a better direction.

Alternatively call him on 021 888 298
    Novice Investor Turning Pro
    If you would like a Super Property Coach to super charge your property investment, call my coach Ron Hoy Fong 021 888 298 today!

Quote Originally Posted by Maccachic View Post
    Is this situation actually exempt from tax?
    Well Is it

I would check out the tax situation if I was you. I think you can only have 1 or 2 boarders before being taxed. Also I don't think you can claim any expenses if you don't declare the income so you may be better off declaring the income and claiming the expenses even if there is only 1 boarder. (But I'm not a tax expert!).

dont forget - land portion is where the real value lies.
    Not much you get of that with an apartment ...

Quote Originally Posted by PatMat View Post
    Anyting is exempt from tax until you tell IRD
    after 3 audits i say tell them nothin

Quote Originally Posted by jimO View Post
    after 3 audits i say tell them nothin
    Did you had a feeling they would come knocking? How do they conduct audits - random or otherwise?

I dont think I need to declare tax - I have 4 boarders each paying or $155 including food. Its a primary house... with rooms rented out. Below the limit according to my basic research.

Thanks for the feedback those guys, it's a good reality check... based on this, we've crossed out the apartment option which is a start. I'm a little confused by the company set up but will be need to get some accounting feedback as we get closer. I think we're going to stay looking at peninsular vs anywere else at this stage. Looking at a house today, $450k with rental income of $460 so it's a start.

Can't post links... but the link said:

The standard-cost method uses an average price for basics such as the cost of food, heating, power and transport. The amount is an average across the country and is inflation-adjusted annually. If your income from boarders is less than the standard cost allowed, you will not have to file a tax return, keep records of related expenditure, or pay tax.
    The current year’s rates (year ended 31 March 2012) will be adjusted for inflation after 1 April 2012.
    For the year ended 31 March 2011

If you have... then the standard cost is...
    one or two boarders $243 a week for each boarder.
    three or four boarders $243 each for the first two boarders, and
    $198 for each subsequent boarder

Quote Originally Posted by JABlog View Post
    Did you had a feeling they would come knocking? How do they conduct audits - random or otherwise?
    they were after my accountant at the time i had a gst audit then within months a full tax audit (which found i had overpaid by $1200, they said because it was our mistake they didnt have to repay it but they did) then the next year another full audit, the tax inspector said that it was a random pick by computer but i doubt it my accountant had several of his clients audited and he was as straight as you could get, my present accountant isnt

Thread Information