• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter MobilizeMail follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on RSS

Latest Threads/Videos

News and Views

Most Active - Last 30 Days

Deals and What's On banner
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Keys View Post
    She thinks it was on a court ordered debt.
    that is what I would expect. I can't imagine me registering a debt from you for $20k + and you getting stopped at the border - civil matter and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by frazzledfozzle View Post
    what makes me so mad and frustrated is that he can afford to pay it himself he's on a good wage he could have been paying it back to the bank all this time but he has just let it ride
    Reduce the amount you have left him in your will by $30,000 (five times amount owed), until the debt is paid.
    Tell him, and his brothers and sisters what you have done.

He won't care, but it's a good reminder for the other more responsible types.

Quote Originally Posted by mattinvestor View Post
    also suggest not to help out your son... what did you end up doing?
    I decided that you were all right and I knew it too deep down.

I'm sad that he wont be able to come home for a long time because I would be scared he would be stopped when he returned overseas but thats his choice to make.

Yes it's theft I dont deny that, and I hate what he's done but I also think it's about time the banks took a look at themselves. When it comes to teenagers turning 18 it's like there's some sort of birthday calander on every kid and as soon as it turns to 18 they are looking to loan them money.
    You wouldn't believe how many of my sons friends have had letters from their banks wanting to sign them up for a credit card.

So I wont be paying his debt, I haven't been to the bank on his behalf because every time I've rung them on the phone they wont talk to me because I'm not entitled to speak for him.

The joys of children

Once again I would like to thank you all for taking the time to help me on this I really appreciate it alot.

frazz

oh, yeah

the way banks give credit to those who can't stop spending

is like they way alcohol is sold to those that can't stop drinking

cigarettes to those that can't stop smoking

and pokie machines are lined up for those that can't stop gambling

but where do you draw the line?

currently it's at drugs

but what put the coca in the coca-cola

and even with the damage drugs do

many think decriminalization is the way forward...
    people keep trying to rewrite the world as themselves

like that'll work...

Quote Originally Posted by eri View Post

and even with the damage drugs do

many think decriminalization is the way forward...
    How well do you think prohibition is working thus far in solving the problems around drugs?????.... IMHO it doesn't appear to be all that successful

Cheers
    spaceman
    Delightfully in need of some Tender Loving Care
    Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting
    Some things are not as they seem, nor are they otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by frazzledfozzle View Post
    I'm sad that he wont be able to come home for a long time because I would be scared he would be stopped when he returned overseas but thats his choice to make.
    He may be scared but it is unlikely to happen - it is a civil matter at the moment.

Yeah you only get stopped at customs for Government debt like fines. Not personal debt.

If you talk to my son he believes that dope is non addictive and causes no problems and will point me to all sorts of research to back it up.

When he was at highschool part of the curriculum was drug education, What did he get out of this? he got that if you are going to do drugs then marijuana is the drug to take because it's the safest.

He was a good student so he took that advice and is still doing it to this day

eri you are right and when I wrote about the banks being free with their money when it came to teens I thought it might sound like I'm blaming the bank.

This kid turned 18 he rocks up at the bank and wants to borrow $5000 he has been working for 2 years but has no savings, none not a cent, he regularly went into overdraft on his account, practically every week. he had no possessions for security, nothing, even after working for two years.

So they decide he's a good risk and give him the $5000.

If we ran our business like that we wouldn't last very long.

It's is 100% the responsibility of my son to pay his debt, if he dosn't then he has stolen it.

Another 18yr old rocks up to the bank with the exact same credentials and pays his loan off no problem it all comes down to the honesty and integrity of the borrower this is where I'm ashamed to say my son falls well short
    Last edited by frazzledfozzle; 19-04-2012 at 10:19 AM.

My 19yo has about 4K in his bank account and another 4K invested and the bank wouldn't give him a credit card. Only wanted it for online ordering. Ah well, debit card works too.

Thread Information