• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter MobilizeMail follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on RSS

Latest Threads/Videos

News and Views

Most Active - Last 30 Days

Deals and What's On banner
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

many years ago i used to flat with a couple of scummy guys in an ex-office in a big city with 2 phones

one was a lawyer, the other the professional-bludger son of the high court justice, retired

when i moved in they told me to always give out both phone numbers as at any time only 1 phone would be working and the other cut-off

apparently they had discovered that if a phone had been disconnected for a couple of months at a commercial address

they could ring up and claim to be a new company, just moved in, and have it re-connected and the outstanding bill wiped

they would then just ignore the bills until it was cut again

then they would go to a pay phone, ring telecom and give the same story but the number of the OTHER phone and have the outstanding bill of that wiped of and then re-connected

i wasn't there for a whole cycle of phone swapping as i moved out when it became apparent that theft was both a game and a living for them

presumably that kind of dodge has been sorted by now but businesses, like landlords, have to be continually working to avoid the parasites
    Last edited by eri; 12-04-2012 at 04:35 PM.
    history does not crawl
    it JUMPS

Thanks for the feedback

Yeah, i have been a 'dick' about this. Its not about the money (they havent told me how much yet - maybe $50 I was told) Its more about whats right.
    I have property away from where I live - if a leaving tenant decided to play nasty, they could leave high use items running (unlikely but possible) and the landlord picks up the tab because the power co says it is so. Feedback would suggest that, majority of you would pay without question.

I am going to pay them and have asked for an invoice. I just wanted to shake the tree a bit.

More concerning to me was what they were going to do with my new tenant and family - cut off their power because of a non related issue, beats me. (*Hufty stops shaking the tree)

While you may have been a bit of a cock, let's face it the power company are 100% in the wrong here.
    The person with who they have a contract tells them they are leaving and they chose not to disconnect the power to make it easier for them...... They should wear the cost of any " leakage" between tenants

Cheers
    spaceman
    Delightfully in need of some Tender Loving Care
    Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting
    Some things are not as they seem, nor are they otherwise

We had an issue with that 'lovely' ex-tenant of ours (10/00778/TG if you need to refresh your memory, and btw she is looking for a rental atm..)
    She did a runner, left all lights etc on, plus the power company disconnected the power.
    The wanted $ 60 re connnection fee and send me the bill for the power used...(nearly a month of power usage, she even left hot water running...)

During the TT hearing, I asked the question so who is to pay for the power used? as the Adjudicator was only willing to award the cost of re connection and not the power bill - he said that actually this is a 'grey' area of law....once the tenant has moved out and the property is empty - his words were - no one is liable to pay! He stated the cost of re connection was awarded as the power was disconnected prior to all the stuff that went on (think 25/05) - the power company never contacted us, and the adjudicator noted that it is the LLs responsibility to ensure the property has a power supply - as for the bill for the actual usage I was told no one is responsible for that not even between the tenants....
    I was not happy with his reasoning but in the end the company stopped chasing us after I faxed them the copy of the TT order....and told them to chase the tenant...
    Last edited by NIK; 13-04-2012 at 09:47 AM.

I haven't bothered to read the thread because it's really simple.
    If the tenant closed their power account, you're liable. If they didn't, they are.
    When a tenant moves out, turn the mains off. Easy.

I think you should read the thread and perhaps learn something new.

You were pretty rude to them. If the last tenant left a light on, and power mains were left on, how is that the power companies fault? And how is it not your fault for not going and checking it all? You were prettu rude to them, and the bill falls fully onto your shoulders. It was hardly worth disputing in the first place. If you REALLY feel paying the small bill will break the bank, then get in touch with the previous tenants and ask them to pay. But use this as a lesson to go to the property AFTER the last tenants have moved out (not quite sure why you wouldn't do this in the first place).
    Waterfront NZ - New Zealand's brand new waterfront/water view property listing site. Perfect if you're looking for an investment property.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLiberalLeft View Post
    I think you should read the thread and perhaps learn something new.
    He left the mains on. Legally you might have a defence but it's hardly worth fighting over. The alternative is to request the power be turned off, incurring greater costs than if you actually pay. Having said that, I've been in that situation where there is power use after the tenants leave (several times) and never been charged for it.
    Last edited by drelly; 13-04-2012 at 02:36 PM.

The previous tenant has had a final reading and vacanted the property so it is not his responibility. I see it no other way apart that you are liable, certainly the new tenants aren't, and why should the previous tenants be liable, its not their fault you haven't checked the property. Do you have a property manager that you can blame? I have some experience with working as a contractor for retailers doing disconnects and reconnects. They are extremely inconvient for all really, property owners, tenants, lines companies etc, etc plus the increase in compliance since the viasco in Auckland over the Mulingas. It is normally for the power companies to disconnect after the property has been vacant for about a month, the retailers aren't to know when the place is to be occuped again and the cost of the disconnects and reconnects for vacant are covered by the retailer and not charged to the customer, so they are expensive.....Pay the bill, after all its tax deductable as a business expense.

Thread Information