Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

14 Day Notice for carpet stains - what next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 14 Day Notice for carpet stains - what next?

Hi team,

I served a 14 day notice to my tenants to remedy some rather nasty stains on the carpet in the lounge and in the bedroom, they have been in only 4 and a half months. When I went back the stains were still there, they said they had tried to move them but were unsuccessful. They themeselves said that the carpet is effectively ruined and have offered to pay to replace the carpet by instalments. The carpet was not new but was in good condition. What would you do next?

Thanks,
    Ollie

i would find out the price of replacement carpet

tell the tenants

and then take it from there
    have you defeated them?
    your demons

Comment

Thanks for that Eri , after further searching I see Glenn has, in similar cases, applied for a work order and a compensatory money order converted to rent arrears. This sounds ideal see here ...http://www.propertytalk.com/forum/sh...005#post274005

Comment

I think you're very lucky to have their offer.
        You can find me at: Energise Web Design

Comment

Originally posted by drelly View Post
          I think you're very lucky to have their offer.
          I agree. If you went to TT the adjudicator will depreciate the carpet and you mind end up with not enough $ to replace the carpet.
          IF the tenants have own insurance, it might only cost them the excess.
          I would personally get quotes to replace the carpet and get the tenants to agree to replacing the carpet in writing.

Comment

Originally posted by NIK View Post
            I agree. If you went to TT the adjudicator will depreciate the carpet and you mind end up with not enough $ to replace the carpet.
            IF the tenants have own insurance, it might only cost them the excess.
            I would personally get quotes to replace the carpet and get the tenants to agree to replacing the carpet in writing.
            Thanks NIK. That sounds like a good idea.

Comment

take the installments !!!
              better still increase the rent in lu of installments ... think about it ...

Comment

Originally posted by Hec View Post
                take the installments !!!
                better still increase the rent in lu of installments ... think about it ...
                Cannot increase rent until after 6 months. They may also decide to upsticks and leave with 3 weeks notice so increased rent in that instance would not work so well, sure I have a bond to call on but if there is other damage or unpaid rent then I am at the mercy of the TT and trying to enforce payments.

Comment

Rent increase notification can be done 3 months into a tenancy. The 60 days for notification is the minimum. There is no maximum.

www.3888444.co.nz
                  Facebook Page

Comment

They offered to pay?! Wow. You have some pretty decent tenants on your hands! Find out the quote to replace it, then have a sit down and work out how they will pay you back. Do not try to rip them off or be sneaky... They sound like good, honest people, so just be honest and up front with them.
                    So, have a sit down, work out the installments, write up and agreement that you both sign, and off it goes. If you don't want to pay for it off that bat, get the installments, then replace the carpet.

Comment

Originally posted by Keys View Post
                      Rent increase notification can be done 3 months into a tenancy. The 60 days for notification is the minimum. There is no maximum.
                      I stand corrected.

Comment

Originally posted by WaterfrontNZ View Post
                        They offered to pay?! Wow. You have some pretty decent tenants on your hands! Find out the quote to replace it, then have a sit down and work out how they will pay you back. Do not try to rip them off or be sneaky... They sound like good, honest people, so just be honest and up front with them.
                        So, have a sit down, work out the installments, write up and agreement that you both sign, and off it goes. If you don't want to pay for it off that bat, get the installments, then replace the carpet.
                        Yes must get cracking and get a couple of quotes.

Comment

Working...
                        X