Getting tenants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting tenants

I have recently bought and renovated a rental property. And was wondering what was the best way to attract reasonable tennents, or any tenants for that matter. It is advertised with an estate agents at the moment and they will also property manage it as it is out of my reach. But not to many people have inquired. Is there something else I should be doing? Or some advice would be good. Thanks for your help if you reply.

Say dogs allowed.
    Or move it to central Auckland.
    The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

Comment

This works a treat for us.

1. Advert in trademe and local rag. (No phone numbers !)
      Ad for open home at xpm on saturday etc. describe house and address.
      2. At Open home let people wander through, take names and numbers/emails. (do NOT give your number)
      At this open home you will see who is the best suited as tenant.
      You get better at it with experience as well

Hec

Comment

Yes also Pets are a good income earner.
        Allow pets, jack the rent ....

Comment

Originally posted by Hec View Post
          Yes also Pets are a good income earner.
          Allow pets, jack the rent ....
          how much is a pet worth rent wise?

Comment

Small dogs & cats 15 - 25 pw
            Medium to large dogs 20 - 40 pw (each ) varies depending on inside or outside / long hair short hair etc

Comment

Thanks - you know a lot of PMs don't twig to that. I did get $20 for a small dog but only after I suggested to the PM that a pet has to be worth a premium (limited number of owners willing to accept them).

Comment

Tis a funny thing Wayne.
                Kiwi LL's could and should wisen to the idea.
                Pets are like family to most and happy to pay the premium.
                Its big in the US of A. A very pet friendly nation.

On the tenant topic. Many LL's will not let to our friends from India as they leave a curry smell when they vacate.
                Fact : there is no better tenant. Rent on time all the time and they leave the house tidy and yes with a curry smell. $100 sorts that easy and so what from a zero head ache type tenant. Namastey my friends !

Comment

Originally posted by Hec View Post
                  1. Advert in trademe and local rag. (No phone numbers !)
                  Ad for open home at xpm on saturday etc. describe house and address.
                  2. At Open home let people wander through, take names and numbers/emails. (do NOT give your number)
                  And - if you can - have a peek at the inside of their cars
                  and tie it with a rego number. (Make car rego number one
                  of the Tenancy Application questions). If the car looks like
                  a tip-taxi, chances are the rental could end up the same.

Comment

I disagree with Perry on the above. The make, model & exterior condition of their car tells me more about the type of person they are than the cleanliness or otherwise of the interior.

Comment

A
                      nd - if you can - have a peek at the inside of their cars
                      and tie it with a rego number. (Make car rego number one
                      of the Tenancy Application questions). If the car looks like
                      a tip-taxi, chances are the rental could end up the same.
                      Ha check both front and back rego plates.
                      We had a drive off on Saturday night and the car had two different plates.
                      BDL914 on the back and
                      FFT45 on the front.
                      "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

Comment

A work colleague played a prank on two of us. Changed the rear number plates on our cars. We went for several years without noticing.

www.3888444.co.nz
                        Facebook Page

Comment

Some people in Dunedin took the licence plate off a speed camera car, put it on their own and and then proceded to speed past the speed camera so the cop issued tickets to himself.

Comment

Location of the property involved?

Comment

I am torn between a few comments. One, yes put it on trademe. Two, about the car. The car is a tough one. I have a rather nice car, but it doesn't mean I am tidy or have money to pay the rent on time. I know people who are far more clean and in line than me, and their car looks like rubbish. It's where their interest lies. So Only use the car as a bench mark. Personal hygiene on the other hand I find to be a better indicator.

Comment

Working...
                              X