Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cannot use the term 'retired' in To Let newspaper add?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot use the term 'retired' in To Let newspaper add?

Now that my parents have moved into town we have a pretty nice 2 Brm unit to let on our Rural property west of Whakatane. We were particularly looking for someone who did not go to work and could keep an eye on the place while were were away (i.e retired) In return we could offer cheap rent etc.

Advertised in the Herald, Dominion and CH Press using the word retired without any problem

2 Brm f/furnished unit rural lifestyle block suit couple/single active retired.
    $200pw Trademe 459502713 ph 3228473

but the local paper was a different story..

Hi Russell,
    Sorry with a To Let advert you can’t say “Retired” sorry. And are you wanting it for this Wednesday and Friday or the following week?

Kind Regards

Queree Bell
    Administration Assistant
    Classified Advertising

Beacon Printing and Publishing Co Ltd
    07 308 8129 ext 846
    Email: [email protected]
    Web: www.whakatanebeacon.co.nz
    You can tell I dont advertise rentals too often but I didnt think we had reached the stage where the word "retired" was verboten! You will note I only expressed a preference but if seems that is overstepping the mark these days. I have therefore redone the add..

To Let ..Unit with unspecified bedrooms in an unspecified location. It is unsuitable (in my view) for certain people but I am unable to state who. You can still apply if you have just come out of prison for child rape, have 14 pig dogs you wish to keep in the wash house or are a Jihadist and just because the phone goes dead does not mean I am discriminating against you.
    Last edited by Shalodge; 26-03-2012, 01:40 PM.

What about retirement villages what do they use?
    Last edited by Maccachic; 26-03-2012, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Maccachic View Post
      What about retirement villages what do they use?
      gods waiting rooms

Comment

How about getting around it by saying it's suitable for over 60's only? I have an over 60's unit in my portfolio and when/if it comes empty that's how I'm going to advertise it.
        Kaye
        www.streetsaheadpm.co.nz

Comment

Pigs is pigs and rules is rules.

Rules against discrimination are there (IMHO) to make the world a better place ....... advertising an age preference has been decided as being similar to a colour preference.

Careful it's a slippery road you tread ....wants to advertise for retired people

nex minnit

Complete racist scumbag just like Hone don't want my daughter to bring home a white guy Harawira

cheers
          spaceman
          Last edited by spaceman; 27-03-2012, 04:11 PM.

Comment

OK Spaceman how do you suggest we get around the "retired" issue for me it's written in stone this property is/will be available ONLY for over 60's as it's a purpose built designated by Christchurch City Council as an over 60's townhouse.
            Kaye
            www.streetsaheadpm.co.nz

Comment

try "semi retired"
              If that does not work, I have a "My Feelings Have been Hurt" form i can send you for those to fill out whose feelings you may or may not hurt while getting on with your life ...
              tis a sad thing the PC brigade are turning the world in to ...

Comment

I've had the same problem with properties not suitable for children. They won't print it without an explanation of "why not".
                You can find me at: Energise Web Design

Comment

Amazing that the following words were permitted:

single (discriminates against multi-party relationships, polygamists and harems)

active
                  (discriminates against lazy couch potatoes)

couple
                  (discriminates against hermits and soloists)

Give Joris de Bres a call, puhleeze!

Comment

How dare you specify $200 per week! You may be offending people who could pay more...or less...

Comment

How about "No Pricks allowed" ...

Comment

How about "Quiet, non active couple"?

Comment

or .. "suitable for no one in particular" ...

Comment

Suitable for someone looking for a quiet life - since its in the country.

Comment

Originally posted by Maccachic View Post
                              Suitable for someone looking for a quiet life - since its in the country.
                              Nah, that wouldn't work. Probably get rented out to a just-released parolee who has a penchant for chemical projects!!! They love the rural areas because nobody can see what they're up to.
                              Patience is a virtue.

Comment

Working...
                              X