• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top dollar asked for slum flats - Christchurch

And what say thee, Keys?
    What's your take on the article?
    Top dollar asked for slum flats

LIZ MCDONALD Last updated 05:00 10/03/2012
    Landlords are renting unfit, filthy homes as Christchurch's rental problems worsen.
    Christchurch's post-earthquake shortage of rental homes has pushed up rents and led to long queues to view homes.
    Helen Gatonyi, manager of Tenants Protection, said tenants were desperate and would take almost anything. Some unscrupulous landlords were taking advantage of the situation.
    She had seen homes rented with external walls full of holes, carpet wet from leaks, and mouldy curtains, and properties left dirty and unrepaired between tenancies.
    "It's really, really distressing for people. They are accepting rubbish, and staying in rubbish. They know if they don't take it, somebody else will.
    "There's a whole market of dumpy, awful, substandard housing now emerging."
    Gatonyi expected the problem to get much worse as winter arrived, and said children and tenants with health problems were starting to suffer.
    The rental shortage meant landlords could pick and choose tenants, and homebuyers leaving damaged homes were pushing long-term tenants out of the market.
    "God forbid if you made a mistake in your past and didn't pay your rent 10 years ago. God forbid if you happen to be of colour. If you are one of those people who previously would have been on a Housing New Zealand waiting list, you've got no chance in hell."
    Gatonyi said she had heard more cases of racial discrimination against tenants since the earthquakes skewed the market in favour of landlords.
    "It's expressed in subtle ways, but it's there."
    Tenants say its not uncommon for 70 or 80 people to turn up to view rentals, and of landlords to hold "rent auctions" at the gate.
    One told The Press, "If you've got a dog or no job, you've got no show."
    Tenant Sarah Johnson looked at a Phillipstown house with three broken windows boarded up, no hot water cylinder, no curtains or carpet, and "the heat pump was sitting on the floor where it had fallen off the wall".
    The house had knee-high grass and weeds, and rubbish, including a discarded shopping trolley, on the front lawn.
    Johnson said the landlord wanted $360 a week for it.
    "I asked him if he was going to fix it up. He said he wouldn't do anything to it, because someone would rent it anyway.
    "I just burst into tears when I got back into the car. I've been looking weeks and weeks for a house and there's just nothing."
    Johnson, who lost her job in the earthquake, needs to shift out of her Addington rental home along with her young son and their pet dog so the owner can do repairs.
    Many of the rental homes she had seen were damaged and would-be tenants were bidding up rents, she said.
    More at
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/6553330/Top-dollar-asked-for-slum-flats
    Last edited by muppet; 10-03-2012, 12:27 PM.
    "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

And as late as last year CCC were opposing new residential subdivisions...

It's all taking too long IMHO. Surely a lot of houses could have been fixed by now and a lot of new ones built too.

But it's all been held up by endless red tape. Meanwhile people just continue to leave this city.
    Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Red tape doesn't half describe the problems.

I've advertised and had many quality applicants in the Western suburbs. Eastern rentals are harder to fill. I've not personally seen anything like this:

The house had knee-high grass and weeds, and rubbish, including a discarded shopping trolley, on the front lawn. Johnson said the landlord wanted $360 a week for it.
      However, Phillipstown as an area is harder to fill.

The article says 70 to 80 tenants showing up. I wish. Never have I had that many. Having said that, I have had more actual applications than normal for rentals. I suggest that my advertisements put off some tenants. Things which I require (photographic ID) may be too much for some. Credit checking on every applicant etc.

In saying that, those are the ones I don't want anyway. I "did" get an application from Troy Lowery which I declined. Imagine the response.
      Last edited by Keys; 11-03-2012, 09:45 AM.

www.3888444.co.nz
      Facebook Page

Comment

just like dunedin

Comment

One [tenant] told The Press, "If you've got a dog or no job, you've got no show."
          Despite the parlous position many Christchurch folks are in,
          that seems just like market forces at work, to me. Almost
          seems as if it's suggesting that it would insulting to ask:
          how are you going to pay the rent if you have no job?

Comment

The article seems overly dramatic and doesn't match what I've seen. Been looking around over the last month for a place to buy and the rentals seem realistic and only saw one place where the rent was a crazy amount. Strangely the tenants were moving out.

Comment

The article seems overly dramatic
              Are not all articles?
              Got to get people to read them.
              "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

Comment

Rental auctions in Melbourne are common, and I'm sure they're common elsewhere

If the place is a dump you dont have to rent it.

Comment

True. Keep paying the mortgage
                  with just what, then?

Comment

In Hoon Hay, rates advertised on trademe have gone up maybe 15% since the first quake, with a lot of the increase in the last few months. I've only seen 1 exorbitant rate in all that time. The big change is that the number of properties has dropped massively. From 10-15 at any time down to 2-5.

Across the city, the bottom quartile of 4-bedroom homes have gone up about 20%, and there seem to be a few exorbitant places in the top quartile. Number of places is down too.

Be nice to see the newspapers do some more research, but I don't think I'll hold my breath.
                    Last edited by One; 11-03-2012, 08:37 AM.

Comment

No matter if there is a shortage, the Landlord has an obligation to ensure that the property is and remains in sound sanitary and liveable condition.

Comment

If you want to take that to court flyernzl then you will find a very large number of properties in the city do not comply. Some still have no sewer 18 months on. Sewer (since it is the most emotive service I can talk about) is continually being disrupted as repairs to the mains are being completed.

Do a wee experiment for me. Cellotape a shopping bag to the toilet seat, use it and then dispose of it. Do that for a week.

Now, (for demonstration purposes) drive to your nearest community center with a water container for your home use (water is not an issue now but it will indicate the plight a little).

Now, deliver several cartons of water bottles to everyone of your close relatives (what we did for tenants in the first few days).

I am pissed at the attitude and non appreciation of those who have not lived it.

Personally, I am fine now as I have moved on. I have the assets, income and ability to do so. Many do not. I manage properties which have no sewer. Trying to get it repaired is a monumental task. EQC, EQR and the CCC are slow in everything they do. The CCC will not touch their side unless we prove that our side is fine. Even then, they have taken over 7 months to accept their responsibility on one of our properties.

On another, we have had the sewer repaired under the emergency provisions from the September quake, Boxing day came along and another part of the same house had to have it repaired. February again sewer repairs. EQC would not pay to have the whole sewer line repaired from house to road. Just the broken bits.

June came along and they finally accepted the problem would not go away. Repairs were completed in the second week of January this year.

Personally, we have been caught with repairs to properties where we paid for them, expecting the EQC to reimburse us, only to find that EQC changed their systems and "emergency" repairs had to go through them. These emergency repairs took weeks in some instances to be done.

Frustration and overwork has caused several PM's to resign from their jobs. Our workload trebled due to the effects of the on going shaking. Fortunately for us, we are a growing company and do not have more than we can handle on our books to manage.

Sigh (ranting and may even delete this message after a bit)
                        Last edited by Keys; 11-03-2012, 09:46 AM.

www.3888444.co.nz
                        Facebook Page

Comment

Keys - please dont delete, it gives some insight to us that havnt been involved.

Comment

Maybe I should have started a thread tracking our problems. Maybe not. I'll think about it for a while. See if it's worthwhile from now on. The busy time has passed though.

www.3888444.co.nz
                            Facebook Page

Comment

Originally posted by Keys View Post
                              I am pissed off at the attitude and non appreciation of those who have not lived it.
                              Somehow, the CERA and those getting $1000/day (to do what exactly?) escaped
                              a mention? Red Tape fatigue, Keys?

Of course, I do 100% agree with the implied axiom of walk a mile in a Christchurch
                              PM or PI's moccasins before criticising. (And I suspect flyernzl did not really mean
                              to run them down). It's all that mundane post-recurring-crisis stuff described by
                              Keys that never gets into the papers, because it doesn't sell more copies and just
                              annoys the woodenheads creaming it financially, at the expense of residents and
                              ratepayers, plus the hapless taxpayers. From the CCC CEO on down!

Comment

Working...
                              X