• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter MobilizeMail follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on RSS

Latest Threads/Videos

News and Views

Most Active - Last 30 Days

Deals and What's On banner
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

How peculiar is it that my son who works at the Ports in an admin role learned to drive the straddles just recently and then managed to have a greater output per day than the stevedores that had been doing the job for decades??
    How peculiar is it that they can work an 8 hour day and not finish their tasks and their overtime whether it be 1 hour or 2 is paid at a rate of another 8 hours??
    How peculiar is it that one of the whingers on the ad on tv has now contracted out and currently in Oz awaiting his payout??
    How peculiar that the public are not properly informed on the real goings on??
    That's probably why Len won't get involved, he knows what is really going on.

According to Mike Hoskings this morning
    the average wharfie
    makes $91000 per year and
    usually works 26 hours for a rostered 40 hour week.
    "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by muppet View Post
    According to Mike Hoskings this morning
    the average wharfie
    makes $91000 per year and
    usually works 26 hours for a rostered 40 hour week.
    no wonder they want more money who could survive on that

At this stage, I'm not sure they want more money.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLiberalLeft View Post
    At this stage, I'm not sure they want more money.
    No but they don't want to get paid for the hours they work either. 26 hours = $91k now, 26 hours = $59k going forward.

I see nobody is recognizing that the port has unlawfully sacked the workers? Happend to me in the past and my union enforced the law through the courts. Employer was severally smacked on the hands. Many thousands of dollars worth in our lawyers fees etc.

I thought most Jobs are now contract based - even pseudo permanent jobs are now fixed term contracts - and you'd guess this is a step towards full contract style work where not only do you need to renew the contract you are also responsible for your super, acc levy, tax payments etc. There will be ongoing protests but it won't change the outcome as Businesses seek to trim their expenses and improve their profit for their shareholders.

It can be a winner if you know how to make it work for you.

cheers,

Donna

So Donna
    As an example

Do you think bank tellers working for MegaBank should be independent contractors, as opposed to employees of MegaBank ?

In many ways they already are, speights boy, and in an even worse way. Offshoring the back office and in some instances customer service helplines to some far-flung entity that is contracting to the bank, has access to detailed customer records and is not subject to NZ laws has more than a small potential to hit the fan.

And who allows them to do that? T'wouldn't
    be the NZ lawmakers, by any chance? Includ-
    ing Labour, the working persons friend.

Thread Information