• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter MobilizeMail follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on RSS

Latest Threads/Videos

News and Views

Most Active - Last 30 Days

Deals and What's On banner
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
    Does this mean that when granny passes on and doesn't require our granny flat
    under the house anymore, we will have to install a separate power supply before
    we can rent it to anyone?
    Yes, but it's not a big deal. You can use an appropriately
    qualified electrician to install a check meter and there's no
    need for any red tape. Yes, there will be a cost. One I'd
    expect you could recover fairly rapidly.

The electricity is the easy one. A hot water cylinder is by
    far the biggest cost and likely the most difficult task.

Then there's the local council, some of which have quite
    different rules for relatives downstairs, as opposed to
    tenants downstairs.

Then you have to live with the situation!

It would be easy to work out the electric bill, take a note of the check-meter reading once a month when the power bill arrives. The LL provides the actual power bill from the provider and then the tenant pays half the daily charge for the period and the cost per KW/h for the difference in check-meter readings including charges and taxes. If the LL is unwilling to provide the actual bill then refuse to pay. The hot water should be split with 2 separate cylinders.

If you're concerned that the check-meter is wired to appliances and/or water heater used by the other dwelling and you are paying for their power, switch it off. At a time convenient to you switch off your main switch for 3 or 4 hours. See if the water goes cold or if the neighbor comes knocking. It might be kind of neighborly to pre-warn them first.

We have a similar situation, shared electric and hot water. We came to an agreement before the tenancy started that the rent would include gas and electric. I have to be careful that I don't make a profit on it as don't want the extra questions from Mr Taxman so they pay half the daily charges and well under their share of usage. They don't take the pee too much, though they are much less anal about saving power than I am but with shared daily charges our overall bills are lower than separate ones would be anyway. It's a good flat, rent is below market rate, they have been happy with this set up for over 5 years now. I take the power and gas price increases on the chin until it's time for the rent review, when it works out at only $2 or $3 a week it's not worth the hassle.

Noodles - sounds like you may have problems with the LL when you move out. Make sure you take lots of dated pics showing the place has been left 'reasonably clean and tidy' in case they try to withhold bond. And make sure you are there at the final inspection and that the inspection form is correctly completed to mutual agreement.

Yeah there were definite problems with the landlord, we should have been more careful and asked more questions before taking the place on. This place is definitely setup illegally for 2 units, and our landlord was so obviously not keen to go to tenancy tribunal that we got let out of our fixed term with only a weeks notice given and they refunded us all of the electricity/water money we've paid since we moved in. We will do final inspection together, but I don't think we will have problems getting bond back, they just want us out now which is a pretty mutual feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    Yeah there were definite problems with the landlord, we should have been more careful and asked more questions before taking the place on. This place is definitely setup illegally for 2 units, and our landlord was so obviously not keen to go to tenancy tribunal that we got let out of our fixed term with only a weeks notice given and they refunded us all of the electricity/water money we've paid since we moved in. We will do final inspection together, but I don't think we will have problems getting bond back, they just want us out now which is a pretty mutual feeling.
    So the landlord has refunded you all of the water & power he has charged you. So essentially you paid nothing for power & water. Do you feel ethical ???

Quote Originally Posted by mrsaneperson View Post
    So the landlord has refunded you all of the water & power he has charged you. So essentially you paid nothing for power & water. Do you feel ethical ???
    Yes I do actually, sorry if I have something against forgeiners coming to this country setting things up illegally and making money off people like me. I didn't do anything wrong except enter into a tenancy without knowing exactly all the details. We could have easily gone to the TT and let them make the call, infact we already had a date we were supposed to go, but our landlord was doing things so dodgily that it was costing her less money to pay us back what we were owed. Yeah okay we did use power and water, but if she can't accuratley gauge how much she should she be charging us then she shouldn't be charing us. We were only there for a few months, and there lots of problems with how she was doing things so don't judge how ethical I am, at least I wasn't doing anything illegal to make money.

I have something against anyone setting things up illegally - not just foreigners

Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    Yes I do actually, sorry if I have something against forgeiners coming to this country setting things up illegally and making money off people like me. I didn't do anything wrong except enter into a tenancy without knowing exactly all the details. We could have easily gone to the TT and let them make the call, infact we already had a date we were supposed to go, but our landlord was doing things so dodgily that it was costing her less money to pay us back what we were owed. Yeah okay we did use power and water, but if she can't accuratley gauge how much she should she be charging us then she shouldn't be charing us. We were only there for a few months, and there lots of problems with how she was doing things so don't judge how ethical I am, at least I wasn't doing anything illegal to make money.
    First off your opening line is racist .You have taken advantage of the situation . When you entered into the agreement you understood that you would be paying power & water costs. Your landlord showed you his calculations based on your power & water usage. If you had a problem understanding how these were calculated you should have gone over it with him. Instead you decided to unscrupulously "hold him to ransom" because of the nature of the dwelling. Effectively you paid no water or power costs & no doubt caused your landlord a lot of stress; so much so that he refunded everything. That is wrong .

Really? Noodles tried to pay the fair amount and that could not be calculated. They agreed to settle without the tribunal. Nothing wrong with a out of court settlement.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsaneperson View Post
    First off your opening line is racist .You have taken advantage of the situation . When you entered into the agreement you understood that you would be paying power & water costs. Your landlord showed you his calculations based on your power & water usage. If you had a problem understanding how these were calculated you should have gone over it with him. Instead you decided to unscrupulously "hold him to ransom" because of the nature of the dwelling. Effectively you paid no water or power costs & no doubt caused your landlord a lot of stress; so much so that he refunded everything. That is wrong .
    Okay first off I wasnt being racist it is exactly what happened. And you don't feel that I and all the other tenants that have been through there have been taken advantage of? By setting things up illegally we were paying for things that could not accuratley be gauged. Its not that we didn't understand how things were calculated in the end, its that there was only one hot water cylinder, which was connected only to one circuit and there were two circuits for two properties, so only one of us was paying for the water to be heated and it made no difference there were double the amount of people in the next door property having double the amount of hot showers, double the amount of washing ect and we brought our own drinking water, shared showers and only did 2 loads of washing a week, and we were paying an equal half with them, does that seem fair, right or ethical to you? Not to mention none of this information was offered to us before moving in, we were simply told the power and water bills would be sent to us via the LL. If you had read previous posts on this thread you might have a clearer picutre as I've said this before. We didn't hold anyone to "ransom" TT is a place this could have been solved not our problem the LL didn't want to go there for obvious reasons.

Thread Information