• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter MobilizeMail follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on RSS

Latest Threads/Videos

News and Views

Most Active - Last 30 Days

Deals and What's On banner
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default advice on Minor dwellings in South auckland

Im looking at increasing my returns on rental property by adding a minor dwelling, looking like 150k to pay someone else do it all and a return of 250-325 P/W so conservative 8.5+% return but perhaps 12%+. I have some good contacts in building industry that would save money on construction costs but i would have to pay for plans and have no experience on council consents.

Just wondered where i find basic rules for land requirements, max/min sizes of second dwelling, distance from other building etc . My property's are in papakura, then I can establish feasibility before spending any money

Also wondered if anybody else had done similar projects and how they worked out

just wondered where i find basic rules for land requirements
    Mate, if you want an accurate info then contact the local council for info.

no one here can tel you exactly about the requirement - you need to talk to a town planner and building officer.

usually a section need to be 600m2 (west AKL)-800m2(south AKL) or more and preferably street frontage section that you can have access to services etc. (not a back section - it is more difficult and costly)
    Last edited by Orkibi; 06-02-2012 at 08:30 PM.
    New Zealand's #1 Marketplace for Property Investors & Sellers!
    FREE Access to HOT Property Deals
    CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO.

Yip have a chat to the council and get some clarification of their expectations, then you can get quotes for work needed and workout if its worth pursuing.
    Cashflow Property
    #1 Site in NZ for Cashflow Property

www.cashflowproperty.co.nz

Yeah pop along to the Papakura office of Auckland Council. They're so friendly and helpful.

(For clarity, I am being very sarcastic.)

In my opinion, this minor dwelling stuff is not a good idea. It will cost more than you think, take longer etc. I hate to sound negative, but it's basically too much work for not enough money.

Why not just buy another rental? They're quite cheap in the Papakura area.

I think its a great way to increase yeild. Have you looked at relocating a second hand dwelling and doing it up as another option - look on trademe under houses for removal or relocation in the real estate part

@timorun how are you getting on. I am looking for same advice.

Does anybody have recommendations for companies that building minor dwellings as a speciality?
    Transform your house with futon couches
    Make sure the plumbing is working impotence causes
    Looking for overseas work job vacancies abroad

Last time I did a minor household was just before the cost changes of connecting into the public stormwater etc. The cost then skyrocketed to around $25k just for a permit to connect to public services, without having the actual work done. This was Manukau which is now all Auckland. I have a good contact who can organize the whole project saving you the hassle . He knows the various rules and regulations and will do a free consult.

@tina That would be choice. Who is your contact? builder, project manager, building company? Can you post on thread or PM me.

Hello Harvey, call Alvin on 092392232 he works throughout Auckland, based in Pukekohe. I have only just met him through BNI and had a meeting in his office. I would highly recommend him after seeing what he provides clients. I have been in the building and finance industries a long time

Quote Originally Posted by timorum View Post
    Im looking at increasing my returns on rental property by adding a minor dwelling, looking like 150k to pay someone else do it
    150k? ... Maybe a few years ago. ... Now with building regs far tighter and council "development contributions" far higher I suspect you'll be looking at at least 200k for a very basic "prefab" type of MHU and 250k plus if its going to have any sort of quality to it.

Thread Information