No announcement yet.

New Carpeting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loop and cut pile are equally as good, shouldn't really be a price difference for the same grade/material?

Synthetic is easier to wash if there is a spill. However if the tenants put a hot iron over the synthetic (the poly-thing you mentioned) it will melt and the carpet is buggered with a massive iron-shaped patch. Personally I prefer wool for my rentals.

As for the vinyl, have you thought about tiles instead?

Comment

Second quote? Sometimes showing the first quote works nicely

Comment

Pretty keen to stay with who we are using - Forlongs in Hamilton. they have 24 months Interest Free, local Hamilton Family Company, good people... and most importantly (kidding), are giving away free Ham's at Xmas time!!

Check out this>>> http://www.forlongs.co.nz/promotions...mas-roast.html

Now... just need to buy a big chest freezer to put it all in now!

Comment

Originally posted by sbw View Post
          So... he suggested a cut pile carpet (at bloody $99!) which in context would be $600 more.
          That's the $600 free ham, right?

My work's got a heavy-duty nylon? poly? loop carpet. It stains fairly badly, and it melts if people full heavy stuff along it fast. But it doesn't snag.

Comment

Still get the Free ham at the cheaper price

Comment

Never hurts to ask for a second quote - you may be able to buy yourself a ham with the savings

Comment

With commercial vinyl the pattern goes right through the product, while with domestic grade the pattern is just printed on the top layer.
                So for medium or long-term use, commercial is a better bet.

Comment

I reckon a good underlay can make a cheap carpet look & feel like a better carpet, and with a bit of luck will still be ok if & when new carpet comes up again.
                  Fibre density in the carpet is the indicator of longevity, not fibre length. I'd get a short (to save money) & dense (for long life) fibre carpet with a thick underlay. Don't forget to put dibbs on any decent carpet off-cuts, they can be used for patching, sling them in the roof space. Pick a small pattern or no pattern to reduce wastage matching up. Loop should be fine, if you are worried about furniture damage, supply your tenant with protectors to put under the feet.
                  Commercial vinyl is desirable and worth paying more for if you can, just compare the thickness in the shop if you need convincing. Looks, feels & lasts better as a rule.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. Went with a cheapish (heavy duty) loop carpet ($59 per meter as oppose to $99). Went with an above average 10mm underlay (difference between the standard 8mm and 10mm was only $80). Went with the commercial Vinyl. The guy got the residential vinyl and I could rip it in my hands, I couldn't do this to the commercial vinyl. I even got the commercial vinyl at the same price as the residential type vinyl (it was the last roll and they just had enough to do my kitchen, bathroom and laundry). Wasn't my ideal paten or style but hey it'll do and for the same price and better quality I wasn't too fussed.

Sure they probably overpriced the floor prep for the vinyl ($30 a meter). Also tried to charge me an extra $600 for ripping up and removing the current carpet - I said F**K off - I can do that in less than an hour and take it to the dump for $30 for a trailer (as well as a tree that I will cut down).

Laying was about $20 per meter from the top of my head for the carpet. All up under $4k for brand new carpet and Vinyl, laid and installed for about 110m2 house. Also got I think about $450 worth of meat (full ham, 3x lambs, 2x beef and 2x chickens (size 16).

Then went to bloody Heathcoates and brought us a new fridge/freezer to put it all in (another grand)

expensive day yesterday.... expensive week too (went unconditional on a new property on Tuesday!) more about this later.

Have a great Christmas!

Comment

That's $450 of free meat... and if you know SBW... - well I'm a non-muslium meat eating, white SBW... I will EAT it! yummy

Comment

Working...
                      X