• Show
Clear All

• Who has most debt? Answer may surprise you

Who has most debt? Answer may surprise you
    Japan takes No. 1 spot, U.S. ranks among top 10 advanced countries

By Allison Linn Senior writer
    msnbc.com
    updated 8/16/2011 9:30:45 PM ET

We here in the United States have spent a lot of time lately fretting about our national debt. But while we owe plenty of money, we may not be in nearly as bad of shape as some of our peers.

When gross public debt is considered as a percentage of a nation’s gross domestic product, it turns out Japan takes the No. 1 spot. Japan's debt is more than double its annual gross domestic product, according to many estimates.

By contrast the United States’ gross national debt is closer to 100 percent of gross domestic product, according to estimates from the International Monetary Fund and the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development.

That still puts the U.S. in better shape than other industrialized nations including Greece, Italy and Ireland, according to the OECD estimates. Of course, those are among the European countries whose high debt levels have raised concerns in recent months.

Here are the 10 developed countries with the most gross debt, compared to GDP, based on the OECD's projections for 2011:

Japan - 213 percent of GDP
    Greece - 157 percent
    Italy - 129 percent
    Iceland - 121 percent
    Ireland - 120 percent
    Portugal - 111 percent
    United States - 101 percent
    Belgium - 101 percent
    France - 97 percent
    United Kingdom - 89 percent

Worries about the growing U.S. debt, combined with concerns about the uncertain strategy for dealing with that debt, played into Standard & Poor's recent decision to cut the rating on the nation’s long-term debt securities one notch to AA+ from the highest AAA rating.

In Japan, debt slowly ballooned beginning in the 1990s as the Japanese government tried to pump more money in the economy to stimulate its growth, said Matthias Rumpf, media officer with the OECD. The period is sometimes referred to as the “lost decade” because economic growth was so anemic.

Japan’s long-term debt rating currently stands at AA-, a couple notches below the U.S. rating, according to Standard & Poor’s.

Although Japan carries a lot of debt, some experts don’t see their debt as nearly as risky as many other countries. That’s because not all debt is created equal.

In Japan, much of the nation’s debt is held domestically, said Jan Randolph, director of sovereign risk for economic research firm IHS Global Insight. By contrast, much of the United States’ debt is held by other countries, such as China.

“(Japan) is not subject to the same dramas because most of their debt is domestically financed,” Randolph said.

The U.S. also is different in that its debt levels rose quickly in the past few years as the country tried to deal with the financial, housing and credit crises, and shake off the Great Recession.

“The United States has traditionally been quite low in debt compared to other advanced countries,” Randolph said. “The problem is the financial crisis hit.”
    "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

Who holds the most U.S. debt?
    You do. Roughly 28 percent of the $14.3 trillion national debt is sitting in a Treasury Department account called “Social Security.” Another 12 percent is held in hundreds of other trust funds. These are savings accounts used to cover future payments like Medicare
    "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

Comment

USA: "We're not as bad as the really bad ones" - Awesome!
      You can find me at: Energise Web Design

Comment

yeah

you can imagine similar conversations in jails

"so i killed a guy when i lost my temper, it's not like i'm really bad"

"that guy over there killed 2, with malice"
        have you defeated them?
        your demons

Comment

Seems silly that one country borrows from another, and that country then borrows, and it goes round in a huge circle. Should write all the debt off, and start a fresh.

Comment

Borrow and lend all you like.
            Provided you own the printing presses - or even better - can type an extra zero or two on the keyboard!

Money - isn't it just the craziest con job ever!
            The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

Comment

Personally I still believe globally we're heading for really tough times economically. The three Es (economy, energy, environment) are still on a collusion course that no amount of 'creative accounting' is going to change and we're all going to be affected - get your wind farm set up to get off the grid, create your own bio diesel in action to fuel your car and don't forget to get your food basket (organic garden) sorted out. Umm a lot to do....we've started with the garden.

cheers,

Donna
              Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

I have a garden and a horse (in case the car gets too expensive)

Comment

^ they are tasty too

Cheers
                  Spaceman

Comment

Thinly sliced raw horse meat is readily available in Japan.
                    Won't eat it raw myself.
                    The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

Comment

NZ exports a lot of horse meat.

Comment

afaik

horse meat eaten by humans

is usually foals

lamb, so to speak
                        have you defeated them?
                        your demons

Comment

Hmm, not sure if I would like horse... But hey, if I have to, pretty sure I could eat just about anything!

Comment

...and you may have eaten it without knowing. I have no doubt I've eaten cat and probably dog (in a takeaway). I heard there was a spat of domestic animals going missing during the recession years I was in London...it was a rumor but hey would I know my 'chicken' was not actually chicken....especially if eaten after pub closing hours....all those years ago....in the early nineties.

cheers,

Donna
                            Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

I hate to think what I have eatin without knowing it... perhaps ignorance really is bliss...

Comment

Working...
                              X