USA Investment fact or fiction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USA Investment fact or fiction

I notice there is a big push by marketing companies to invest in US properties. This has been of interest to me for the past 5 years and I have attended many seminars and spoken at length with consultants. As an investor in Qld Australia and being successful in the past by using lending to leverage for capital growth. Since the GFC the world has changed and the new normal is now more about cashflow in our investments.
    The properties do offer great value in the US and the rentals are strong as the local residents are unwilling or unable to get finance. They have a different lending system with non-recourse loans where you can hand the property back to the bank but then your credit rating is shot. Also there are many tenants in the US that are known as section 8 which are government assisted, so instead of getting benefits paid to them they get rent paid and food stamps for essentials.

A good renovated house of 3-4 bedrooms can be found near major cities and in good neighbourhoods for under $75,000 with a rental producing around 15% gross returnor $220pw. In Australia we do not have properties like this that I aware of anymore. Maybe you could find something in a rural area of NZ and that would be preferable for locals rather than overseas.
    The major problem with investing in the US is:
    1. Trustworthy team of property managers
    2. Knowing the market in US as it is huge.
    3. Cash only for first 1.5 years until you can achieve a credit rating to borrow from a US bank ato low rates.
    4. A long way to go to resolve a problem and legal issues etc

As an investor with say $100,000 to invest and considering prospects globally in these turbulent times I think the major exporting US companies would be more appealing. Whilst nothing is certain you have liquidity and the protection of say an 8-10% stoploss should the market go pear shaped. Now must represent excellent buying but like all investing you have to do your homework and timing is crucial.
    i am no expert in shares but I subscribe to experts that do their homework and have a track record. If you are looking for better than bank interest then this maybe the answer.
    There are a lot of people forever speaking doom and gloom over the US economy but I don't believe the largest economy in the world and some of the greatest companies will fall. We are all finished financially and the other trading partners will not let this happen. China and India are still growing and a healthy US economy is needed for all of us.
    Just some thoughts for you to consider. As I have said I have been a property investor in Australia and now starting to look at other opportunities in this changing world. Good luck in the World Cup this must be your year All Blacks.
    Last edited by richlocke; 10-08-2011, 05:24 PM. Reason: spelling

Hi RichLocke,

Welcome to the PropertyTalk forums. Have a read of these discussions on the US Property Push....

and a discussion on the US Debt/Default

Cheers,

Donna

.....and if the ABs don't win the RWC (though it's just got to be their time aye - not sure NZ could cope with another loss)....then go the Wallabies
    Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Hi Rich:
      A good renovated house of 3-4 bedrooms can be found near major cities and in good neighbourhoods for under $75,000 with a rental producing around 15% gross returnor $220pw.
      Actually you can get this for $50,000 and 10 to 20% NET return in lots and lots of good cities :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Dissindat View Post
        .... in lots and lots of good cities :-)
        which cities are your top 3 picks ?

Comment

harder the sell, easier to spot spruikers.

Comment

@Speights, I stick to cities I know a bit about with very strong fundamentals. For me that is Atlanta, Pittsburgh and Memphis. Clear Capital reports top performing cities quarterly. Their research is quite sound.

Comment

Amazing returns in USA market and the locals want to keep renting

as they fear property prices are still falling. With returns over 10% and perhaps even 20% capital gain in the future would be a bonus

Originally posted by Dissindat View Post
              Hi Rich:

Actually you can get this for $50,000 and 10 to 20% NET return in lots and lots of good cities :-)

Comment

Donna
                good to take a balanced view of investing. Times are changing I believe and global opportunities are there for the taking. The marketers are doinga good job packaging their own properties in a package with some good profits on sale. Problem is no leverage which is the main attraction of property and improving for capital gain. I think if an investor has cash and looking for 10-20% return would pay to look at good US exporting companies in growth markets. If the AB's don't win this World Cup I will be very surprised.

Comment

Lot to choose from, what about Phoenix?
                  Seems a growth area. Detroit has had billions invested to keep the city going and the car making.

Comment

Phoenix market is a total mess and Detroit, you have got to be kidding.

Comment

I usually go for the areas that offer the best buying plus have some affinity for the area. What I like about Phoenix is the climate for retired people plus some industry and 68% of the homeowners are underwater (negative equity) which means strong motivation. Personal choice no doubt and I will be visiting soon to see what I can get.

Comment

Originally posted by richlocke View Post
                        What I like about Phoenix is the climate for retired people plus some industry .....
                        You're joking right ?

You must live in Cloncurry to think this is pleasant for retirees.

Phoenix hit a high temperature of 118 degrees on Saturday, topping a 10-year-old record of 116 degrees for the date.

Comment

ever heard of air conditioning where you come from or are you too busy freezing your nuts off. I like Hawaii but who really cares. End of story.

Comment

Originally posted by richlocke View Post
                            ever heard of air conditioning where you come from .......
                            No rich, not needed.

However my faithful Punkah Wallah assures me he would keep working , while your dang fancy machine will clog its gears in this luvly Phoenix weather.

A monstrous dust storm roared through Phoenix, Arizona on Tuesday night, delaying flights and causing power outages for thousands of people.
                            The AP reports that the massive dust cloud, also known as a "haboob," was around 5,000 feet when it arrived in Phoenix, but radar data reveals that it reached heights anywhere from 8,000 to 10,000 feet high prior.

Comment

Hi Dissindat,
                              Can you you explain in what way the Phoenix market is a total mess right now ?
                              ....... considering its very slim pickings to get a great deal on decent single family homes at the trustee auctions at present....

Hec

Comment

Working...
                              X