• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter MobilizeMail follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on RSS

Latest Threads/Videos

News and Views

Most Active - Last 30 Days

Deals and What's On banner
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Not sure what the big fuss is about... been living in a few countries over the last few years and everywhere you will find a variety of rental accommodation - the same goes for NZ. Although I do actually agree with most of what he's saying - average NZ rentals are in comparison to average European standards for example below par in my opinion (that is certainly an area of possible improvement AND OPPORTUNITY for landlords in NZ) - but we cannot tell whether he's comparing apples with bananas here.
    Certainly in Auckland it can be laughable what you get for your rent (I know as I'm a recent new renter in Auckland) but that almost expected in a country's largest city where everyone wants to live. If you compare that to rentals in Sydney or London or Warsaw and you truly look at comparable rentals (in %value to incomes) you will find that they are even smaller, in worse condition and I guarantee you more expensive than in Auckland.

There is another side to this though. NZ does have an unnecessary pre-occupation with houses as opposed to flats though. As a potential tenant I would love to rent a nice, warm, inexpensive 2-3 bedroom apartment in a quiet location, further away from the city centre - but there are VERY VERY few of these in Auckland. Europe and North America are full of high-density, high-quality apartments - unfortunately we don't have anything comparable. Don't even mention the grotty, cold, 2-storey blocks of tiny units build in the 50's, 60's and 70's scattered all around Auckland. I'm looking forward to the super-city to get the re-zoning going so more of nice high quality apartments can be build.

Replaced a hob the other day because the original one went faulty 5 days earlier
    Wayne: why did it break down? Was it because it was 30 years old maybe and never replaced?

Quote Originally Posted by lukasr View Post
    Wayne: why did it break down? Was it because it was 30 years old maybe and never replaced?
    I don't know how old it was as I didn't buy it - it certainly isn't as old as the house and I have only had the place 3 yrs. I am not in the habit of replacing perfectly good items - and this hob was (before it failed) working happily for the tennant. The PM wanted to lok for a second hand hob but that isn't the way I work. I would replace a working item if it didn't work properly and the tenant wasn't happy with it, and it made sence.

Not sure what the big fuss is about...
    It's a kiwi trait not to like criticism and be inward-facing to all things NZ.

Which is closely followed by the phrase "if you don't like it why don't you bugger off then?"

Sounds more like a commercial tenancy.

After renting in the UK for a while - I was way too used to the fully furnished rentals - perfect for the transient renter, and found it hard when faced with needing to get stuff for a flat. I can't imagine having to go as far as getting curtains, carpet etc - madness.

Cheers,

Donna

I've flatted in a dozen or so properties in ChCh. They all had something wrong with them and I saw most of what s/he listed there.

What got me was that s/he made it sound like EVERY rental has ALL those problems

Oh, yeah, and EVERY landlord is an unresponsive a-hole.

Hmmph.

But it must be true because I readed it on the interwebs.

Another thing is that in continental Europe, tenancies are commonly fixed for years. I know a landlord here who owns property in Belgium and he has 10 year fixed term tenancies and rents higher than lending rates. Here, tenants are much more transient and so inevitably get less service/consideration when they may be gone in a few months and are paying only around 4-5% of the property value in rent.

Yep like Switzerland and major cities - property ownership is beyond most - with little to no new development possible so renting is the norm. Definitely can not be compared to here or in Aus where you consider yourself lucky to get a year's tenancy signed up - in comparison here is more like running long stay self service accommodation.

Cheers,

Donna

Thread Information