No announcement yet.

Does Any One Know Where to Find the List of Earthquake Prone Buildings in Wgtn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Any One Know Where to Find the List of Earthquake Prone Buildings in Wgtn

As the title says - I know the Wgtn council (probably all councils) have a list of buildings that are not up to code - is that available to the public? I think it would be of public interest
    Lis:

Helping NZ authors get their books published

Wellington's quake-prone buildings should be publicly listed so people know their status, United Future leader Peter Dunne says.

The MP who represents the capital's Ohariu electorate said today the public had a fundamental right to know about the buildings they worked in or frequently used.

"I do not think people will behave in a knee-jerk way with this information," he said.

Read the article here

Comment

Yeah but then Ceila Wade Brown said it is (Dunne is probably just grandstanding as normal) - but I can't find it online - thinking of fixing that ...
      Lis:

Comment

I think that if people have concerns that they should just ask the building owner. The building owner will have received a notice probably to bring up to the required standard within 12 years.
        Doug

Comment

You can ask the council over the phone about a particular building, but I don't know if the entire list is available publicly.

Comment

Originally posted by lissie View Post
            As the title says - I know the Wgtn council (probably all councils) have a list of buildings that are not up to code - is that available to the public? I think it would be of public interest
            Yes - but for a fee.
            Wellington City Council engineers are assessing buildings in an area-by-area basis and once a building has been assessed the owners are advised whether it is earthquake-prone. The information is included in the property's land or project information memoranda, which are available to the public for a fee.

Comment

I have an article ranking in the search results for Wellington earthquake - its not the owner who is asking me whether building are safe - its parents who have children in residences and employees who work in the city...
              Lis:

Comment

your easiest guide would be to find out when the buildings were built

and when the various earthquake construction criteria would brought into law

obviously anything built pre-1930's, prior to the napier earthquake, is going to be very questionable

and from the chch Q2 it looks like many 60's and 70's low rise concrete buildings are also at risk of pancaking

which is pretty bad because between the 2 are a LOT of buildings and wellington's chances of a 7+ quake have traditionally been considered much higher than chch's

will be interesting following the reconstruction of what went wrong with the pyne gould? and CTV buildings

the japanese are worried that recent quakes and volcanoes around the pacific rim are pointing to the start of a 30year cycle of such events
                Last edited by eri; 03-03-2011, 01:45 PM.
                have you defeated them?
                your demons

Comment

Most Wellington buildings struggle to get to 30% of the current standard.

while the first Christchurch earthquake was at about 28%, the second quake was 120%!
                  This means that buildings that were not on the watch list in chch have been destroyed.

This will have lasting impact on NZ building code for generations to come.

Comment

Here it is:

Explore New Zealand’s democracy and electoral system. Understand election and referendum rules. Get community and media resources or find statistics.

Comment

cheers - thanks Bob
                      Lis:

Comment

If your looking at this to gauge value you would have to also read the list of buildings in Wellington with contaminated sites.

There are lots of those too.

Comment

No it was more in terms of rentability and saleability - its amazing how freaking Wellingtonians are at the after a few little shakes the last few days which wouldn't normally make the news.
                          Lis:

Comment

Apparently Auckland has a list of 412 EQ-prone buildings, but they're keeping it secret.

Latest breaking news articles, photos, video, blogs, reviews, analysis, opinion and reader comment from New Zealand and around the World - NZ Herald
                            Lisa

Comment

Working...
                            X