Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior painting costs

Hi guys,

My previous landlord is trying to bill me $328 for painting a small part of the wall in the kitchen.

The inspection was done 1 month a ago, as a result I need to repaint a small part of the wall in the kitchen right above the stove. The painting area itself was about 20cmx20cm or the whole wall surface is about 150cm x50cm

After one month without news, I sent an email to ask my bond refund status and they replied with a painting bill amount $328 and asked me to confirm the costs before they start process my bond refund.

I am new in New Zealand, and they are my first landlord and I think $328 for painting is way too expensive.

Does anyone know how much is the cost to paint a wall per square meter in Wellington?

Any idea or suggestion on how to settle this issues? as I am a full time international student and know nothing about this tenancy stuff.

Cheers,
    Andi

Ask to see a copy of the invoice for the work.

It is possible that the whole wall could have been painted for that price. Which may not be unreasonable if the repair was very obvious.

Ask for the invoice and come back to PT with the details.

All the best,

Niall

Comment

I do this sort of thing for landlords myself and it does sound a bit steep,but it is not the amount of wall to paint that is the main issue,but more whether the particular color has to be matched.
      If the landlord is organized and has some of the original paint on hand,then its dead easy,although it still may take several trips if its enamel and has to dry between coats.
      If He doesnt have any of the paint,and the painter is not very well organized,then it could take several trips and then you start getting into that price range,but that would be bad luck.
      I try to carry alot of types of paint and sometimes have to use all of my 30+ yrs of experience in terms of improviseing.
      Perhaps you should ask for the details of why it cost so much ie. how much labor, cost per hr., and cost of the materials.

Comment

In reference to Nialls post,if there is none of the original paint [color] left,you almost always have to do the whole wall[corner to corner],but having said that ,its no big deal to do.The amount of extra time is minimal.Its farting around with getting the right paint,etc,etc..that eats up the time.

Comment

Hi guys thanks for the advice, I will ask them to send me copy of the invoice. The stain was about 10cmx10cm and corner to corner approx 150cm x 50 cm (the whole wall). Although the painter had to paint the whole wall, still the cost shouldn't be that much right? except the painter is not that experience and took him so much time to find the right paint.

Do you guys think they should let me know first before the job started? considering I am the one who will pay for the cost.

I thought property management company is more professional than individual landlord, but this one definitely not good. Took 2 weeks to refund my rent overpay and took the whole month just to let me know that I should pay $328 for the repaint.

Cheers,
          Andi

Comment

Yes,in my opinion they should have let you know first.
            When we have a tenant leaving,we go around with them,last thing,before signing the bond.
            you should mayby check with the tribunal and see what they say.

Comment

I had something like this recently. There were a couple of holes to be patched and painted and the room their kids were in was ruined by literally hundreds of pinholes from their posters. Total cost was about $650.
              You can find me at: Energise Web Design

Comment

Hi Niall,

The landlord just got back to me without a detail invoice. However, she explained that the total costs was including door handle fitting and wall repairment for the bathroom which are not my responsibility.

The painting cost is only $146, is this a reasonable price? or should I ask them for a detail invoice.

Cheers,
                Andi

Originally posted by Niall View Post
                Ask to see a copy of the invoice for the work.

It is possible that the whole wall could have been painted for that price. Which may not be unreasonable if the repair was very obvious.

Ask for the invoice and come back to PT with the details.

All the best,

Niall

Comment

By the time travel, time and materials have been taken in to account, I doubt there would be must change from $150, no matter how small the job, if you call in a trades-person to do it.
                  DFTBA

Comment

Working...
                  X