• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter MobilizeMail follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on RSS

Latest Threads/Videos

News and Views

Most Active - Last 30 Days

Deals and What's On banner
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Termination of fixed term lease

Hi everyone, I have read through dozens of pages of forum posts to see what landlords and tenants have experienced to see if anyone has been in a similar situation to me.

I am the tenant in this case and signed up to a long term lease. I served my landlord with a 10 day letter asking for a small rent reduction backdated to the beginning of tenancy for the ongoing issues, fair and reasonable compensation for issues with renovations and being unable to use parts of the property, and requesting issues be resolved, including major health and safety issues and breaches of the building act, and to terminate my fixed term lease and replace it with a periodic lease.

I included a report which documented each issue, and provided photos.

I informed my landlord that I would be making a claim with the Tenancy Tribunal if my demands were not met.

The following day a letter from my landlord appeared in my letterbox, telling me my lease had been terminated as requested. However it has not been replaced with a periodic lease. They requested I contact them with my dates I would vacate the property.

I am sure that ignoring the rest of the 10 day letter and terminating my lease is retaliatory and what are my rights here? Do I have to move immediately? or does Section 60(1) of the Act apply?: “Where a tenant remains in occupation of the premises after the tenancy has terminated… all the obligations of the tenant shall continue in force as if the tenancy is still subsisting until such time as the tenant ceases to occupy the premises”.

I would be interested in your thoughts

Section 54 applies in this case, therefore you need to act fast. Get in contact with Tenancy Services immediately (not sure if they're open in the weekend though!), and they'll be able to advise you.

Given your comments, it seems a retaliatory notice to me. Check out RTA Section 109 (4)(c).

You need to work out what your bottom line is - ie moving out, staying w reduced rent, renovation etc etc.

If you do decide to shift, make sure it's on your terms (ie you need to find a place first) and that LL will pay shifting costs etc.

Good luck and keep us posted.
    Patience is a virtue.

Thanks for that prompt reply! and good advice. I called tenancy services once I read the letter but they only work week day office hours. So will be contacting them first thing on Monday.

Put all your interactions (phone calls, texts, emails, letters) in a written statement in chronological order. Submit this w your tenancy application.

Keep emotion out of your arguments.

You can apply for Tenancy Tribunal hearing here and it costs non-refundable $20. TS will probably give you a MEDIATION date first.
    Patience is a virtue.

Hi Charmed,

Essence has given you very good advice. If you are correct in what you say then they can't just terminate the tenancy.

If they do not agree to any fair requests then I would take the landlord to TT.

Keep us posted

Regards
    Aaron

Hi Charmed,

When you say that the lease is a "long term lease", do you mean that you are in a fixed-term tenancy?

Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDad View Post
    Hi Charmed,

When you say that the lease is a "long term lease", do you mean that you are in a fixed-term tenancy?

Paul.
    Yes.

I asked my landlord to let me out of my fixed term tenancy and replace it with a periodic one due to the condition of the property and ongoing issues. When I discussed it with them in person they refused, however after serving them with a 10 day notice to remedy all of the outstanding issues, they responded by telling me they had terminated my lease "as requested"

Quote Originally Posted by essence View Post
    ..... and it costs non-refundable $20.
    Oh Joy! That's about to change. Yipee. [reads on through the thread]
    Last edited by Keys; 07-08-2010 at 10:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by charmed View Post
    they responded by telling me they had terminated my lease "as requested"
    Ping back Section 11(3) to them. Tell them it's all or nothing with your offer to cancel the FTT.

As it is a FTT, then section 54 does not apply, as essence suggests it might.

Do you want to stay in the property on a FTT? If you do, make an application to the tenancy tribunal under section 77(2)(b) to clarify the fact that it is still a FTT.

In the same applicaiton apply for a works order to have the outstanding maintenance issues addressed.

Thread Information