Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire safety issues at Deloitte Centre

Fire safety issues over new $200m office tower

A Government authority has raised issues over fire safety designs on New Zealand's most expensive new office block.

John Gardiner, Department of Building and Housing determinations manager, released a report on the Deloitte Centre which was developed, built and is owned by Brookfield Multiplex Construction (NZ).

The $200 million office tower at 80 Queen St was opened by Prime Minister John Key this month after BNZ and Deloitte staff moved in.

But the Auckland City Council did not approve all aspects of the building's design after changes were made. Gardiner said he backed this decision, based on an amended set of plans.

He said the nub of the problem was the fire rating of basement elements under the tower.

"The department's decision takes into account the available evidence, including expert opinion and precedents."

He said the decision means the fire rating - a measure of ability to withstand fire - of the columns and beams in the basement needs to be at the standard set in the original consent.

"Work to address the issue may have been subsequently undertaken on the building. I do not believe that the building proposed is necessarily unsafe," Gardiner said.
    Source: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/commercial...ectid=10635417

Yeah that articel doesn't make a lot of sense to me. How did they get consent with one set of plans and then build to another? There must have been some sort of approval along the way?

Was a CCC issued? I guess it must have been for the building to be occupied. So why then is the Department of Building and Housing determinations manager involved?

And then he says
    I do not believe that the building proposed is necessarily unsafe,
    With a comma at then end, not followed by any more text.

So they're not saying it's unsafe, but presumably not saying it's safe? That'd be about right for a council!
    Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Cpu

They must have a certificate of Public Useage, (CPU) and then they are allowed to occupy the building, i.e. staff, and public access. The fire safety is a concern, and Like you guys, he is a shoe in for a top job at the new council, ducking and diving. I would suggest a serious construction issue here, enough to stay away.

Comment

In modern times. there are various kinds of secure devices to provide safe environment for people. For example the security camera can be used to monitor suspicious person come and go in the office or people's own home. Besides the metal detector with frequency of cell phone waves which can be got from detectorall.com also can be used to set up a security system to ensure our safety in the daily life.

Comment

Working...
        X