Clear All

Thanks Dandan

Some good tips there.

Munga

Comment

About $8500

Should cost about $8750

Comment

Ace painters & decorators painted the interior and exterior for very competitive price

Comment

Originally posted by spaceman View Post
          Sounds on the cheap side to me ..... dpending on the size of the job.

My brother quoted a job recently on a reasonably big villa (but not huge) flat section so no scaffold work ... $18k..... if your place is half the size then it's still cheap because of the scaffolding.

Anoher way of looking at it is $10k = 100hrs @ $100 per hour .... 3 guys working for a week is 120hrs ..... do you think 3 guys could finish the job in a week???

Cheers
          Spaceman
          on what planet do painters charge $100 per hr

Comment

Or do a 2 story villa for $8500 or for that matter 9 working days by a novice. I can only assume that these were places that were in such good shape to start with that they needed very minimal prep.,or there is going to be problems down the line------And thats why any opinions are just a shot in the dark---A decent paint job can be double or triple the price if it is really rough and needs major prep--Have you ever tried to prep an old neglected villa window with 4+ layers of paint all failing?(so it looks nice again) it can take a long time (especially if theres some rot that needs stabilizing and filling ,[if its not terminal]--Some houses need a light sand and change of color -others need a full renovation as far as the surface of the weatherboards go.
            Get a number of painters to look at it and explain how they will go about doing the job.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi Abroad View Post
              I have a villa in Eden Terrace Akld with a 65m footprint which is 2 stories on a sloping section (i.e. only half of bottom level has sides above ground) and have received 2 quotes of about $10k for an external paint job. The quotes in include windows etc.

Does that sound right?

I am only painting for a sale so do not need need long term quality but the wood is a bit rough on one side and will need to have some heavy plastering before painting.
              Getting back to your original question-10K does not sound over the top to me bearing in mind what I said previously--That rough side you are talking about is more likely to need sanding down with an industrial sander (usually random orbital or even starting with a grinder if they are really skilled[and I stress that ] You can do a certain amount of filling with Permafill or similar product after, to improve the cosmetic look.
              Whats the address?
              Im a retired painter who occasionally provide some gear and advice for those who decide to give it a go themselves. Otherwise ,if you can ascertain that they will do a good job,then the price seems fair.

Comment

Originally posted by 0800ace123 View Post
                Ace painters & decorators painted the interior and exterior for very competitive price
                0800ace eh? Thanks for the info

Comment

Originally posted by jimO View Post
                  on what planet do painters charge $100 per hr
                  Only on the planet where your maths work.

I doubted that 3 guys could do the job in a week....if they did it would be (very roughly) $100 per hour...but that would include scaffolding etc as well.

If the original guy reckoned he could do the job in 100 hours then he seems to be charging on the high side.....I doubt the job as described with the sloping section, 2 story and rough areas needing a lot of work would get done in 100 hours. Hence $10k seemed cheap to me

Cheers
                  Spaceman

Comment

Ahh I get it--3 guys =$100

I would imagine if the poster told the painters he just wants it painted for selling --thats how the quotes are going to be worked out--(very light on the prep)

The buyer will pay the price somewhere down the line as it is far more difficult to remedy a bad paint job than it is starting from scratch.

I once looked at a house where it was obvious that a painter (or crew)simply came in and sprayed the house ''as is'' You could see all the cobwebs flakes etc.--I wondered how many potential buyers noticed.
                    I was asked to do this by a developer as well but refused except for one case where the place was recently painted but he wanted a change of color--one day (with help and presto!)
                    (not saying thats what is happening in this case)

Comment

How do painters charge? I'm painting a rental house at the moment (not me really, my wife ) and my mate is giving me sh*t telling me to hire professionals.. I got a quote on my home for some work - all exterior joinery and some internal work - skirting boards and doors (we did the walls ourselves - again not me, my wife ) and it came in over $12k! So I'm a bit put off. The painter seemed like a good honest bloke and there's a bit of work involved but that's basically a months work for two painters at $40 p/hr??

Can anyone advise how painters charge?
                      “Our favorite holding period is forever.”

Comment

have you bought paint lately?, the gvmnt would have a slice of that wedge as well

Comment

Painting is easy - prep is hard!
                          Prep is where most of the labour cost will be.
                          $10k really doesn't sound too bad.

Comment

You can be sure they don't charge themselves out at $40 an hour for sure. Decent painters would be on $30 an hour wages so I would expect charge out rates between $$70 to $90 an hour. A one man band may be under $50 I guess, but he wouldn't be making much money.

Comment

Bought lots of paint lately jimO. Agree good prep takes time Wayne.

Damap $90 an hour for a painter? Are you sure? That's higher than charge out rates for builders, plumbers, sparkies.. Doesn't sound right to me. Although I reckon the work I got quoted is 1-2 weeks full time work for two good painters so maybe that is the rate they're using.
                              “Our favorite holding period is forever.”

Comment

To strip the paint try one of these
                                The paintshaver Pro is a Revolution in Paint Stripping Technology. When used with a Hepa Vacuum it is the perfect Lead Based Paint Removal System.

Comment

Working...
                                X