Cost of paint job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cost of paint job

I have a villa in Eden Terrace Akld with a 65m footprint which is 2 stories on a sloping section (i.e. only half of bottom level has sides above ground) and have received 2 quotes of about $10k for an external paint job. The quotes in include windows etc.

Does that sound right?

I am only painting for a sale so do not need need long term quality but the wood is a bit rough on one side and will need to have some heavy plastering before painting.

Hmmmmmmm

Sounds on the cheap side to me ..... dpending on the size of the job.

My brother quoted a job recently on a reasonably big villa (but not huge) flat section so no scaffold work ... $18k..... if your place is half the size then it's still cheap because of the scaffolding.

Anoher way of looking at it is $10k = 100hrs @ $100 per hour .... 3 guys working for a week is 120hrs ..... do you think 3 guys could finish the job in a week???

Cheers
    Spaceman

Comment

Beware of getting only one quote, I'd get another couple. We had 3 quotes for our PPOR a while back, 140m2 single storey. Two quotes were about $7k and one was $12k. Turns out after bitter experience that the $12k quote would have been the only one worth taking. The $7k job was so bad we actually got our money back afterwards and will have to have it done again. We will also only use a master painter (or whatever they're called) next time.

Comment

My 2 cents worth.

A good paint job is all about preperation. Usually the low cost cowboys paint over the cobwebs.

You need to ask them what the quote includes, what type of paint they intend to use etc.
        The lowest quote is often that for a reason and you tend to get what you pay for. Ask for some reference sites where the firm/person has worked recently and go and look at the finish achieved.

I have had a number of wooden villas of various heights painted by professionals in different cities over the years and only had one good experience out of five or so. All the people involved were "Master Painters" and in one case we got that parent body involved so that they would fix up their poor workmanship.

Our worst experience was when our choice of painter had too much work and without consulting us subbed the work out to dodgy and dodgy painters and it was only because we were visiting the site were we able to nip the job in the bud before he did too much damage!

We do all our own painting now and get the results we'd like to get from the professionals but it takes time not only to do the job well but also to learn the little skills and tricks of the trade and not everyone has the time to spare or inclination to do the work.

Having said all that I wouldn't want to paint professionally!!

Comment

Originally posted by hawkeye View Post
          Usually the low cost cowboys paint over the cobwebs.
          Too bloody true

Also - you don't want to be dealing with anybody who wants money from you upfront to buy the paint. If they're any good they'll be able to buy it on credit on their trade account.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi Abroad View Post
            I have a villa in Eden Terrace Akld with a 65m footprint which is 2 stories on a sloping section (i.e. only half of bottom level has sides above ground) and have received 2 quotes of about $10k for an external paint job. The quotes in include windows etc.

Does that sound right?

I am only painting for a sale so do not need need long term quality but the wood is a bit rough on one side and will need to have some heavy plastering before painting.
            Just been quoted for 2 storey 100m footprint plus veranda up and down. One side of house is essentially 3 storey because of drop in the section and that side will need scaffolding. Quote was for $27,500 - Wellington prices.

Your quote sounds cheap to me. You may not be getting quality but you are only doing it for sale purposes. Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Munga View Post
              Just been quoted for 2 storey 100m footprint plus veranda up and down. One side of house is essentially 3 storey because of drop in the section and that side will need scaffolding. Quote was for $27,500 - Wellington prices.

Your quote sounds cheap to me. You may not be getting quality but you are only doing it for sale purposes. Hope this helps.
              Each to their own, but those prices sound absolutely horrendous to me. I'd say do it yourself as long as you're fit and able.
              Painted outside of our PPOR a year ago, 250m2 on a 45 degree slope so one side is also 3 storey height with some challenging angles. No scaffolding, just a harness and 60 litres of Dulux Weathershield X10. Total cost around $800 with NZPIA discount. Took me two weekends and 5 weekdays after work for a total of 9 days.
              It looks a charm and was quite fun to do. If it apparently saved me somewhere around $10-20k then I'm just even more happy about it
              High resolution Fractal Art on quality canvas: www.FractalArt.co.nz

Comment

My 20 year plan to paint our two story bungalow is going along nicely, in the last 5 years I have painted one entire side, cost about $500 and many summer days lost at the beach, unfortunatly the 20 year plan was perhaps a bit too generous, a 8 year plan would have been better in terms of when repainting is needed, but that equation is stuffed up now so I will stubbornly stick to the 20 year plan and end up paying $50k in a couple of years to the professionals.

Comment

Painting Costs

I can state from hundreds of painting jobs both exterior and interior that we have managed for both home owners and investors that you get what you pay for. We send different painters to different situations, example we have one painter who painted weatherboard state houses for 20 years - he is fast but not the most carfeul - good for investors in lower socia economy areas. We have 3 painting crews who work for us ONLY on homeowners jobs due to their requirements being of a good quality generally. Its not the number of quotes you get ( always get 2 ) but the right painter for the project specifically get it wrong and you will pay heaps and be very dissapointed , we see it every week.

If you are selling it is important to give a great first impression - a bad paint job will actually detract from the appeal and probably reduce your eventual selling price.

Get good painters, if you are abroad use a reputable company and with many references on similar projects. Master painters dont hold any extra accreditation apart from being a member and a disputes resolution avenue.......

PM me if you want some help

Cheers

Mark Trafford
                  Maintain To Profit
                  Last edited by revdev; 21-01-2010, 08:25 PM. Reason: speeelling...

Comment

Hi,

I would agree with the comments above that you should always get 3 quotes, and look for painters who are can demonstrate either through reviews, or through references a solid record.

Good luck

Regards

Keith
                    www.builderscrack.co.nz

Comment

Originally posted by Munga View Post

Just paid for 2 storey 100m footprint plus veranda up and down. One side of house is essentially 3 storeys because of drop in the section and that side and 2 and a half others needed scaffolding. Cost was $22,500 - Wellington prices. Included roof, and a few weatherboards, roof nails and window hinges replaced.
                      Last edited by dandan; 10-05-2010, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Thats not a bad price at all. Did they do a good job? If so, can you send me their details please.

Cheers
                        M

Comment

The painter is retiring from painting after he finishes another job for me in 2 weeks, to be a full time builder. I had some other places lined up for him so will be looking for another painter who charges around $35 an hour and is able to identify and replace the odd weather board, window hinge etc. He replaced some rusty flashings above some windows too and a cracked window and did a fine re-putty job and repaired some rot in some windows with newtek filler which I was very happy with. I paid him and his workmate by the hour because I've seen to many quoted jobs rushed resulting in flaking and peeling in a few years. Scaffolding quotes were round 6.5k from the scaffolding companies (highest corner was 9m) but he organised his own for a couple of grand less. The job took a few months and often the weather was too windy or wet (exposed house) so was juggled with some other indoor work for someone else. The house need 75% electric sand, 25% scrap off flaky paint then electric sand and was given undercoat where necessary then a coat of lumber cider then a coat of hi glow (resene products). They used oil based on the window sashes and frames. Four colours were used (roof, windows, window surrounds, weatherboards).
                          I've asked a few investors I know for a recommended painter but have had no success. I'm seeing another investor friend on Friday who I think has mentioned good painters to me in the past, when one comes up I'll post the details.
                          Last edited by dandan; 11-05-2010, 12:12 AM.

Comment

I know a guy in Wellington who has been painting for me for me for 12 years now. Probably done 20 exterior repaints and 100 interior repaints for me during that time. He can replace weatherboards, windows, flashing, roofing etc too, and has his own scaffolding. Reasonably priced. You can email/PM me if you'd like his contact details.

Comment

Originally posted by spurner View Post
                              I know a guy in Wellington who has been painting for me for me for 12 years now. Probably done 20 exterior repaints and 100 interior repaints for me during that time. He can replace weatherboards, windows, flashing, roofing etc too, and has his own scaffolding. Reasonably priced. You can email/PM me if you'd like his contact details.
                              Thanks Spurner. I have PM'd you.

Comment

Working...
                              X